What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
The Warner/Impulso release "Lone Star" is a fine transfer wish I could say the
same about the film. A flabby big budget MGM western that brings in various
historical figures into the action (Sam Houston,Andrew Jackson,Geronimo) to
laughable effect.
"The Last Challenge" is presented 2:35 1 scope but the quality gets pretty fuzzy
at times;it looks like an old VHS transfer. Quality varies throughout the entire film.
Film is nowhere near Glenn Ford classics like "The Fastest Gun Alive" but better
than later efforts like "Santee"
The Australian Bounty release of "Pirates Of Monterey" looks great. One of many
Universal Technicolour romps released in the mid to late Forties (usually Westerns
starring Yvonne De Carlo) this film is more historical romance than Western.
The plot is pretty thin;although its a handsome looking production with breathtaking
matte compositions typical of Universals art department at the time.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Some of the titles mentioned in this thread seem to be El Corte Ingles exclusives.
There are at least 1 or 2 ebay seller - ebay.co.uk mostly - that sell those discs.

Here is one of'em: [SIZE= 9px][COLOR= #f00]No links to active e-Bay sales, please. Read our rules again![/COLOR][/SIZE]

CLASSICFILMFAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Derrick
There are some terrific Fox films in this list. Is there any chance Fox will release these films with region 1 DVD's in Canada and the USA for sale on say, Amazon? I'd love to get:

- Untamed (Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward)

- Boy on a Dolphin (Alan Ladd, Clifton Webb. Sophia Loren)
- Iron Curtain (Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney)
- The Raid
- Powder River
- Two Flags West
- One Foot in Hell
- Down to the Sea in Ships
- Inferno

How's about adding Pony Soldier to the releases as well. Thanks.

zzfredzz

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Bad news about the 'Under Two Flags' DVD. It's the butchered version with a running a time of 93 minutes.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
For anyone interested, BOUNTY entertainment has released some more Universal classics in Australia. I am out of the country so cannot comment on transfers (OAR etc), Titles out now for under AUS$10 (US$8.70 approx) are:
THE PRINCE WHO WAS A THIEF, THE WARLORD, NOW AND FOREVER,CAPTAIN LIGHTFOOT,THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS,THE SON OF ALI BABA,WHISPERING SMITH,THE LAWLESS BREED,PIRATES OF MONTEREY + THE SIGN OF THE CROSS
Cheers, Mike

Barrington

Auditioning
Real Name
John Gleeson
I just received Streets Of Laredo and Horizons West, both excellent transfers, and have ordered more.
Bounty has added airmail for international shipments and upped the cost to $15 from $6.50 but it beats waiting 5-6 weeks and the films are terrific bargains.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi John, HORIZONS WEST had a sound problem, apparent in the first 10 minutes. I told BOUNTY about it so I am wondering if they have remastered this title. Can you tell me if there is a sound distortion akin to the sound of a propeller starting up in the early portion of the movie? Thanks, Mike

Barrington

Auditioning
Real Name
John Gleeson
Ran it for 30 minutes, no motorboating. The opening music is very shrill but can be toned down by the tv sound mode settings. I noticed this with a few R4's and was told it often happens due to PAL speedup.
The motorboating champ is the print of MARGIE that cinemax runs - loud chugging intermittently all through it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I received the Impulso/Fox DVD of Harry Black And The Tiger (aka Harry Black.) I haven't yet watched it all the way through, but glancing at a few scenes at random reveals this to be a very high quality anamorphic transfer, slightly better than The Roots Of Heaven which I watched last night. (Good movie by the way)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by benbrigade
The Warner/Impulso release "Lone Star" is a fine transfer wish I could say the
same about the film.
Yes, it's a good transfer but it has burnt-in subtitles! I don't want them but I can't remove them!

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Robin,

You should have a facility to remove subtitles on your DVD remote control.
On the Fox Spanish DVDs there is a facility to remove subtitles on the discs
menu;on the Warner/MGM DVDs you have to use your remote control.
Unless of course your DVD is faulty for some reason.

Does anyone have the link on this website to a section for region 2 screencaps;
I cannot seem to locate it.

Barrington

Auditioning
Real Name
John Gleeson
Just got Posse From Hell in the mail. Great picture but towards the end there is a loud hum. The level comes and goes and it seems to be louder inbetween dialog. Surely BOUNTY was aware of this before releasing the film.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Sad to see the thread for R2 screencaps is gone.

Why not suggest to DaaVeeDeeDVD or Diabolikdvd to try importing these discs. Maybe it would be easier to get THE KREMLIN LETTER that way!

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
From el corte ingles, an exclusive list of fox movies, not available in the USA (Region 1);

1. Under Two Flags
2. Suez
3. Diplomatic Courier
4. Mister 880
5. The Late George Apley

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
But as far as I know some of the exclusives are getting a general release in Spain a couple of months later, e.g. American Guerrilla in the Philippines from Fritz Lang, which is being released in August?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
But as far as I know some of the exclusives are getting a general release in Spain a couple of months later, e.g. American Guerrilla in the Philippines from Fritz Lang, which is being released in August?
As and when they do, I will immediately buy Diplomatic Courier which I haven't seen for many years. It has a really good cast and, I seem to recall, some deep-focus photography from Lucien Ballard.

Barrington

Auditioning
Real Name
John Gleeson
How do you place an order with El Cortes Ingles? I have 3 films listed on my cart with prices but don't see how you progress to payment etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks