What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
The Last Challenge (WB version) is up for pre-order at Starscafe, but a bit of research suggest it's non-anamorphic scope.
Lone Star is also up, but you need to search under Estrella del Destino - it doesn't show under the English title.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
I have just received my copy of "Sierra Baron" from starscafe and it is with
regret that I must report that the picture quality is terrible!
The titles are in scope that then reverts full frame 16x9.The only thing I can
compare the image quality to is a print from a very cheap Polaroid camera.
Only purchase this film if you are desperate to see it (I was!)
I am sure this film would have surfaced much earlier in Spain if decent source
material could be found;especially with its theme of Spanish Nobility protecting
impoverished settlers and facing off greedy landgrabbers.
The film is one of the most offbeat of Fifties Westerns and in the UK at least
vanished soon after general release. To my knowledge it has never been
shown on TV in the UK.I have waited a long time to see this film again so
I am glad that Impulso have decided to release it in spite of the extremely
poor quality as it is doubtful the film will resurface in a better quality version.
Also in my parcel was "Ride Vaquero!" and I am happy to report that the
transfer is excellent;in fact Ansco Colour never looked better.The MGM titles
from Impulso I have purchased have all been top class!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by benbrigade
Also in my parcel was "Ride Vaquero!" and I am happy to report that the
transfer is excellent;in fact Ansco Colour never looked better.The MGM titles
from Impulso I have purchased have all been top class!
Now, that is good news because allegedly the French DVD of Ride Vaquero is pretty bad. Thanks for the info. I'll place my order in the next few days.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Hi "benbrigade", Thanks for the lowdown on SIERRA BARON. I was thinking of buying it but I will wait for a better transfer to (hopefully) emerge. Can you tell me the other Impulso MGM titles that you have bought and are happy with? Many thanks, Mike

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Hi "lionel59" I purchased the Impulso edition of "The Sheepman" which is a nice scope
print and I should think is similar to the Warner Archive version.
The Impulso version of "Westward The Women" is a bit grainy and there are occasional
imperfections but overall its a good transfer. The film is excellent and highly recommended.
Their version of "Across The Wide Missouri" is stunning;could not be better!
I am really looking forward to Impulso releasing "Devils Doorway" "Stars In My Crown"
and "The Outriders" which must follow in due course.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
John, isn't The Sheepman non-anamorphic scope? I could be wrong, but I'd imagine most (or even all) of the WB/MGM titles from Spain are using the same prints that the older French releases come from.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Hi Colin,
The Spanish copy of "The Sheepman" is 2.35:1 scope which I always take to be
anamorphic. Oddly enough the Warner Archive copy of "The Fastest gun Alive" is
1.85:1 scope; a lovely transfer though.
Warners in the States have the rights to the RKO and Allied Artists back catalogue,
yet none of these films have surfaced in Spain from Impulso. I wonder if those rights
apply to Spain.
Very shortly I will be ordering "Lone Star" and "The Last Challenge" I will post my
comments on these two films in due course.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Perhaps you have your player set wrong. Are you using a 4x3 television, or a 16x9 widescreen TV? Make sure the setting on your DVD player matches whatever size screen you are viewing the disc on. There is a setup menu on the DVD player itself that allows you to select: 4x3 pan/scan, 4x3 letterbox or 16x9. If you are viewing an anamorphic DVD (taking about the format of the DVD transfer, not whether the film is 1.85:1 or 2.35:1) on a TV that is 4x3 and your DVD player is set to 16x9 output, then the image will appear squeezed with either no letterboxing or appear to be 1.85:1.

Originally Posted by benbrigade
Hi Colin,
The Spanish copy of "The Sheepman" is 2.35:1 scope which I always take to be
anamorphic. Oddly enough the Warner Archive copy of "The Fastest gun Alive" is
1.85:1 scope; a lovely transfer though.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I've just seen some screen captures of the Spanish release of Drum Beat and they're absolutely hideous - this link will bring them up.
On a more positive note, there's quite a nice looking edition of The Kremlin Letter to be seen here.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Can anyone involved with this chat lead me to a website with screen caps from FOREVER AMBER (or provide a few)? I'd like to be sure it is truly 4:3 before buying it.(I refer to the earlier controversy in this chat on the first few pages) By the way, Spain is the only country to have released Billy Wilder's last movie-BUDDY BUDDY- in LBX (non-anamorphic). The print looks good though wider than usual CinemaScope/Panavision, so possibly cropped slightly on the top+bottom. Reportedly not one of Wilder's top films, but for fans who want to complete their collections, it's nicely priced.Cheers+thanks re AMBER, Mike P.S. I recently received THE EGYPTIAN. Superb transfer. Far superior to the old LD (and the Asian dvds pirated from it) It comes with a nicely put together mini-program, possibly modeled on the Spanish one from the '50's.ONE FOOT IN HELL looks great. Both are anamorphic Scope.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
It is not 4:3 but 16X9.....!!! I have seen 4 different DVDs on varying TV monitors including the FNAC store in Barcelona where I purchased it. Very sad as I was so looking forward to finally having this film.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
Here are the captures:

d3c8f879_vlcsnap-2010-06-05-22h22m17s43.png

zzfredzz

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Originally Posted by Livius
I've just seen some screen captures of the Spanish release of Drum Beat and they're absolutely hideous - this link will bring them up.
Truly awful. The image on my old VHS recording from TCM UK looks better.

The screen captures from The Kremlin Letter look very nice, but I can't find the DVD anywhere.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
Don't thank me, you should thank Bethany Harrison who gave me the instructions on how to make screen caps.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
New Fox/Impulso announcements for July:

Young Guns of Texas (1962)
Kid Blue (1973)
The Second Time Around (1961)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks