What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this has been brought up before but I recall some disappointment that the Australian DVD of Taker Her, She's Mine (1963) with James Stewart and Sandra Dee was 4x3 letterbox rather than anamorphic. However, the German release of the film is anamorphic wide screen and a very handsome print, too.
And yes, I realize it's not a Spanish release but it is a Fox film.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
lionel59 said:
If Twilight takes years to give us this wonderfully scored movie (by Franz Waxman) on Blu Ray, this will certainly keep me happy in the interim period of time! Cheers, Mike
Twilight Time told me that Fox only has a 4:3 letterboxed master of Untamed. Given that Twilight Time coped a lot of flack regarding the non-anamorphic release of Violent Saturday, I doubt they will be releasing any 4:3 titles for a long time.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Does anyone know why the Region 2 THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER from Germany runs 94 minutes as opposed to the actual running time of 98 minutes? Is it PAL speed up? I can't find any solid information about the time discrepancy anywhere.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]That would be about right if speeded to PAL which it is.[/COLOR]

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I'm sure MESSENGER's shorter speed is due to PAL speed-up. Thankfully, this does not seem to be an issue with Blu-Ray releases from what I can gather. UK + USA releases all seem to go at the same pace and run for the correct time.
Thanks for the tip re ARISE MY LOVE, which has a terrific Billy Wilder screenplay.
Fox are being irritatingly "tight" re expenditure for classic releases. If they can master RAPTURE in Anamorphic 2.35 :1 on Blu Ray, then if they chose to they could strike a new print of UNTAMED and do the same for that film. They would still have the separation negatives and maybe even the original negative in their vaults. It played in Anamorphic 'Scope on Australia's Fox Classics channel here in '08. It sounds like they prepared a master for a Laserdisc release and- as with VIOLENT SATURDAY- do not wish to spend anything further on this title. A very shortsighted outlook as we enter the HD age. Tragically, they would not even give Cinemax an HD transfer of PRINCE OF PLAYERS in 'Scope. They played the same P/S print which airs on the Fox channel, somehow converted to HD. Not that long ago they were giving us boxed sets with titles like HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN, THE SHERIFF OF FRACTURED JAW and THE GIRL ON THE RED VELVET SWING in 16:9, 2.55:1 and giving us 'Restoration Comparisons'. The whole point of the Twilight collection is lost if they are going to charge top dollar but not give us what they were once giving us for far less. Vale, classic Fox releases...........

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
lionel59 said:
I'm sure MESSENGER's shorter speed is due to PAL speed-up. Thankfully, this does not seem to be an issue with Blu-Ray releases from what I can gather. UK + USA releases all seem to go at the same pace and run for the correct time.
Thanks for the tip re ARISE MY LOVE, which has a terrific Billy Wilder screenplay.
Fox are being irritatingly "tight" re expenditure for classic releases. If they can master RAPTURE in Anamorphic 2.35 :1 on Blu Ray, then if they chose to they could strike a new print of UNTAMED and do the same for that film. They would still have the separation negatives and maybe even the original negative in their vaults. It played in Anamorphic 'Scope on Australia's Fox Classics channel here in '08. It sounds like they prepared a master for a Laserdisc release and- as with VIOLENT SATURDAY- do not wish to spend anything further on this title. A very shortsighted outlook as we enter the HD age. Tragically, they would not even give Cinemax an HD transfer of PRINCE OF PLAYERS in 'Scope. They played the same P/S print which airs on the Fox channel, somehow converted to HD. Not that long ago they were giving us boxed sets with titles like HEMINGWAY'S ADVENTURES OF A YOUNG MAN, THE SHERIFF OF FRACTURED JAW and THE GIRL ON THE RED VELVET SWING in 16:9, 2.55:1 and giving us 'Restoration Comparisons'. The whole point of the Twilight collection is lost if they are going to charge top dollar but not give us what they were once giving us for far less. Vale, classic Fox releases...........
Rapture is B&W so much easier to prepare than Untamed which is old Eastmancolor so it will be badly faded. I doubt it would be printable thanks to fading. Of course Fox would have separations and the negative, but you are talking tens of thousands of dollars to preserve a film shot on that film.
The anamorphic broadcast of Untamed would've just been a conversion of the 4:3 letterboxed master. Twilight Time have said on their Facebook page that Fox only has a 4:3 master of it and that they received so much negative feedback on their 4:3 release of Violent Saturday that they won't be releasing non-anamorphic transfers in the future and will only release Blu-rays where they have an H.D. transfer (incidently there is an Australian release of Violent Saturday available from Bounty Entertainment, there's copies on eBay available for $10). If Twilight Time takes 4:3 masters and converts them to 16:9 there will be a lot of pissed off people, because the lack of resolution will be obvious.
I watched Twilight Time's Left Hand of God today which was a reasonable transfer. It is what was considered good half a dozen years ago. But even on a 50" plasma the flaws were pretty obvious, such as some extreme edge enhancement that gave a lot of actors halos wherever they moved. On the plus side, the film didn't have a lot of obvious damage, and the stereo sound transfer was very good. It was also in about a 2.5:1 aspect ratio which looks great.
I agree with you that Fox released some fantastic looking transfers of their 'Scope films, some of the most memorable for me are The Virgin Queen, White Feather, House of Bamboo, The Hunters, and The Girl Can't Help It. But sadly those days are over.
If you want to see more of these films, I suggest you pick up the Twilight Time Blu-rays while you can. I can confirm that The Egyptian, The Roots of Heaven, and Rapture all look fantastic.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Does anyone know what the Spanish studio release of PROUD REBEL with Alan Ladd is like? Looking for a good "non-public-domain-style' release. I believe the Spanish copy is Full Frame. Other copies look cropped on the sides. Does the Spanish copy look similar or is it (hopefully) an Open Matte transfer. Thanks, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks