What's new

Fox Archives MOD Blu-rays are coming (1 Viewer)

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Disney is totally HOPELESS! If they do proceed with Blu ray issues of Fox titles, it could well be under some ghastly 'Club' arrangement which disenfrachises the entire world outside of the USA. I can never see the marketing logic in a decision which makes such classic titles as 'Pollyanna', or 'Parent Trap' frozen from the world market.
You have to remember the folks at Disney think all Disney fans have pots and pots of money and hence the reason their BD Club releases as mentioned along with many others already released are so expensive. Basically the guys who work in the upper echelons of power at Disney are so wealthy they think everyone else everywhere is the same.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
You have to remember the folks at Disney think all Disney fans have pots and pots of money and hence the reason their BD Club releases as mentioned along with many others already released are so expensive. Basically the guys who work in the upper echelons of power at Disney are so wealthy they think everyone else everywhere is the same.
The club exclusives are not expensive if you buy them from the club only if you buy them on ebay. They list for $19.99 through the club but they always have monthly sales. I bought all of mine between $12.99-$14.99

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
These 4 titles are no longer available on Movie Zyng and Oldies.com anymore. they are only available from a 3rd party seller on amazon now. I'm thinking these must of been old stock they found stored away somewhere. I can't imagine they would of brought them back in print on BD-R's only to discontinue them a few days later.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Very good picture quality but, if I remember correctly, only mono sound. I enjoy this film enormously. It has an amusing concept and four actors I like a lot.
Wish RAH would address this - with FOX films from Technicolor era a mess - why don't they reach out film collectors for technicolor prints in pristine condition like they did with The Gang's All Here

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Wish RAH would address this - with FOX films from Technicolor era a mess - why don't they reach out film collectors for technicolor prints in pristine condition like they did with The Gang's All Here
Are you talking about the Twilight Time version or Eureka? I just watched my Twilight copy of The Gang's All here and though the picture looks great the colors seem dark and a bit dull. I heard the Eureka transfer has more accurate colors. I thought about getting it if it is in fact a better transfer.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Are you talking about the Twilight Time version or Eureka? I just watched my Twilight copy of The Gang's All here and though the picture looks great the colors seem dark and a bit dull. I heard the Eureka transfer has more accurate colors. I thought about getting it if it is in fact a better transfer.
On the dvd release the dvd was atrocious then Fox re-issued the disc and the story was the collector that had the stunning Technicolor Print gave Fox access to it and the corrected disc was stunning Here is the review of the original release That brings us to the final issue, the disappointing transfer of the title in the collection that people were most looking forward to, The Gang's All Here. It should have the same super-saturated gaudy Technicolor look as That Night in Rio but it is instead dark and subdued. At least the Restoration Comparison is honest, as the 1996 transfer on the left simply looks better than the 2006 transfer on the right. The new colors are dull and yellows in particular have wilted. When Miranda wears the Tutti-Frutti hat, the red strawberries stick out while the rest of the colors just look blah.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
On the dvd release the dvd was atrocious then Fox re-issued the disc and the story was the collector that had the stunning Technicolor Print gave Fox access to it and the corrected disc was stunning Here is the review of the original release That brings us to the final issue, the disappointing transfer of the title in the collection that people were most looking forward to, The Gang's All Here. It should have the same super-saturated gaudy Technicolor look as That Night in Rio but it is instead dark and subdued. At least the Restoration Comparison is honest, as the 1996 transfer on the left simply looks better than the 2006 transfer on the right. The new colors are dull and yellows in particular have wilted. When Miranda wears the Tutti-Frutti hat, the red strawberries stick out while the rest of the colors just look blah.
Just found this === this is the story I remember so I guess Fox then used the collector's print ===

"#11
Post by viciousliar » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:49 am
This one's for you, flixy (and perhaps Criterion, Matt) - there IS one, just one perfect print of The Gang's All Here in existence, and it's NOT the one shown in NYC this week."

Just saw another post here that mentions the collectors name and said he offered the print to Fox and they turned him down but had to go back to him after their disc was TRASHED! Amazing collector that he did lend Fox the print after that!

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Just found this === this is the story I remember so I guess Fox then used the collector's print ===
"#11 Post by viciousliar » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:49 am
This one's for you, flixy (and perhaps Criterion, Matt) - there IS one, just one perfect print of The Gang's All Here in existence, and it's NOT the one shown in NYC this week."

Just saw another post here that mentions the collectors name and said he offered the print to Fox and they turned him down but had to go back to him after their disc was TRASHED! Amazing collector that he did lend Fox the print after that!

I think I have the 2006 dvd so I don't think I've ever seen the good print from this collector. I wonder if that's the print used in the UK Eureka bluray as well, since supposedly the colors are a lot more vibrant than the twilight blu-ray.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I think I have the 2006 dvd so I don't think I've ever seen the good print from this collector. I wonder if that's the print used in the UK Eureka bluray as well, since supposedly the colors are a lot more vibrant than the twilight blu-ray.
Might be! I think on the dvd here in the states the corrected dvd was issued in the Carmen Miranda Box set - Just checked the reviews and this is from the NY Times Review of the set - -

The centerpiece of this new Fox collection is “The Gang’s All Here” (1943), in a bright new transfer with dramatically enhanced colors that represents a big advance over the disappointingly dull, sallow version that was included in last year’s “Alice Faye Collection.” Claim this is the Blu Ray!

Last edited:

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I ordered mine from Movie Zyng
That's what I thought you implied in your earlier post. I checked MZ's site and the disc Format listed in the Specifications section, when compared to other disc listings on their site, seemed to indicate the discs were Blu-ray recordables. I emailed their Customer Service on Friday, June 28th, asking if those four titles were pressed or recordables, but to date I still haven't gotten a reply.

Since it seemed you had ordered from MZ, I placed an order for the same four with Oldies.com that Friday to see if we had a second source for them. However, last night I got an email from Oldies saying they cancelled my order as the discs were unavailable.

Now that the listings for those four titles are gone from both sites, I guess we're stuck with eBay or nothing. I'm glad you were able to get them, especially as pressed discs, before they were gone.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Might be! I think on the dvd here in the states the corrected dvd was issued in the Carmen Miranda Box set - Just checked the reviews and this is from the NY Times Review of the set - -

The centerpiece of this new Fox collection is “The Gang’s All Here” (1943), in a bright new transfer with dramatically enhanced colors that represents a big advance over the disappointingly dull, sallow version that was included in last year’s “Alice Faye Collection.” Claim this is the Blu Ray!

That Youtube clip is definitely the UK blu-ray, Looks so much more vibrant than the Twilight Time release. Some people have said they prefer the darker Twilight Time version but the colors seem like they have been sucked out of it to me. I Have the Carmen Miranda box set actually, i Forgot the Gang's all here was in That. I'm going to check it out.

Last edited:

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
That's what I thought you implied in your earlier post. I checked MZ's site and the disc Format listed in the Specifications section, when compared to other disc listings on their site, seemed to indicate the discs were Blu-ray recordables. I emailed their Customer Service on Friday, June 28th, asking if those four titles were pressed or recordables, but to date I still haven't gotten a reply.

Since it seemed you had ordered from MZ, I placed an order for the same four with Oldies.com that Friday to see if we had a second source for them. However, last night I got an email from Oldies saying they cancelled my order as the discs were unavailable.

Now that the listings for those four titles are gone from both sites, I guess we're stuck with eBay or nothing. I'm glad you were able to get them, especially as pressed discs, before they were gone.
That sucks that you were not able to get your copies before they sold out :( I'm thinking both oldies and Movie zyng were coming from the same Manufacture since it looked like they all sold out about the same time. I'm wondering if we are going to see a bunch of copies start popping up on ebay and Amazon from Sellers who bought a large some and will price them at high prices.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That sucks that you were not able to get your copies before they sold out :( I'm thinking both oldies and Movie zyng were coming from the same Manufacture since it looked like they all sold out about the same time. I'm wondering if we are going to see a bunch of copies start popping up on ebay and Amazon from Sellers who bought a large some and will price them at high prices.
Saw a copy on ebay late last night for 47.99 and it was gone before I can grab it! Hey if anyone has a new copy and want a fair price I am in!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks