What's new

Fox Archives MOD Blu-rays are coming (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yes, absolutely (unfortunately) - the Fox MOD program was over long before Disney bought them. But that doesn’t seem to stop people from using it as a reason to complain about Disney.
I didn’t realize it was over before… but at least before Disney, Fox licenced out titles. It seems unlikely Disney will do that, but I could be wrong.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
For anyone who wasn't able to catch this series when it was originally released Movie Zyng seems to have gotten all 4 of titles back in stock (or less it's some kind of error). They have been pretty hard to find the last several years. I went ahead and ordered Coney Island.
CONEY ISLAND looks good on blu ray, i think you'll like!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Disney has licensed many titles to Kino.
Other than Baby, The Secret of The Lost Legend, I’m not aware of others. Which Disney films have they released so far? It would be nice if KL were able to license things like Johnny Tremaine or Darby O’Gill.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Other than Baby, The Secret of The Lost Legend, I’m not aware of others. Which Disney films have they released so far? It would be nice if KL were able to license things like Johnny Tremaine or Darby O’Gill.
They've licenced a ton of titles under their Touchstone and Hollywood Pictures banner to Kino and Mill Creek, and a handful to Criterion.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yes, Disney has licensed out to different companies, but only certain groups of titles. Now that they have STAR! and Diz+, they may not be so willing to license out...

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I was only able to get Women's World years ago, which I really enjoyed. I'll definitely buy the other three.
I'm not sure if these will be BD-R's or pressed this time. Someone in another forum said they emailed Movie Zyng and got a response that they were BD-R's. I'm still hoping they are pressed but i will be happy either way. I'll find out when i get my order Tuesday.

Last edited:

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I'm not sure if these will be BD-R's or pressed this time. Someone in another forum said they emailed Movie Zyng and got a response that they were BD-R's. I'm still hoping they are pressed but i will be happy either way. I'll find out when i get my order Tuesday.
They are BD-Rs according to MovieZyng today. Shipping is $2.49 for the first disc and $0.50 for each additional disc. They're available from Oldies.com also for about a dollar less per disc and free shipping on orders over $75 during their Memorial Day sale. They're BD-Rs also.

Rick

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Disney is totally HOPELESS! If they do proceed with Blu ray issues of Fox titles, it could well be under some ghastly 'Club' arrangement which disenfrachises the entire world outside of the USA. I can never see the marketing logic in a decision which makes such classic titles as 'Pollyanna', or 'Parent Trap' frozen from the world market.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
They are BD-Rs according to MovieZyng today. Shipping is $2.49 for the first disc and $0.50 for each additional disc. They're available from Oldies.com also for about a dollar less per disc and free shipping on orders over $75 during their Memorial Day sale. They're BD-Rs also.

Rick
Okay thanks, Did they tell you they were BD-R's? For the price they are i was hoping for Pressed but BD-R is better than nothing. I honestly wasn't ever expecting these 4 Fox titles to ever be available again.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, IF these are BD-R's, that at least indicates Disney is involved and giving these another chance (since I thought the original runs were pressed). Is it a step backwards if these are BD-R? Yes, especially when I remember the main issue everybody had with these releases being the audio not getting treated as well as the picture (or something to that effect). Still, it's something (and I do wonder if the switch to BD-R has to do with the sales numbers from when they were originally released). I hope these do well enough that Disney considers doing more!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Disney has licensed many titles to Kino.

As some have said, just titles from some of their "other" imprints (Touchstone, ABC Films, et alia). If I'm remembering correctly, the Kino Lorber Insider has said their deal with Disney is done, and it's unknown if they will do another one. The most recent title I know of from the deal they had was Green Card, which came out two years ago.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, IF these are BD-R's, that at least indicates Disney is involved and giving these another chance (since I thought the original runs were pressed). Is it a step backwards if these are BD-R? Yes, especially when I remember the main issue everybody had with these releases being the audio not getting treated as well as the picture (or something to that effect). Still, it's something (and I do wonder if the switch to BD-R has to do with the sales numbers from when they were originally released). I hope these do well enough that Disney considers doing more!

Images of them I've seen have the stylized "Blu-ray" logo, so, yes, they'd have been pressed. BD-Rs can't use that logo, and instead say "Blu-ray disc" in an undistinguished font.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Images of them I've seen have the stylized "Blu-ray" logo, so, yes, they'd have been pressed. BD-Rs can't use that logo, and instead say "Blu-ray disc" in an undistinguished font.
I understand that. I was just mentioning it, since one theory that made the rounds on the other forum is that these were surplus copies that somebody might have found. But, if the original releases were pressed, and these are BD-Rs as we've supposedly been told, then there's no way these are surplus, and this gives us potential hope that Disney might be resurrecting the program (whether that actually happens or not will obviously depend on how well these do).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I just ordered the four BDs/BD-Rs. All of them have "(Blu-ray) (Blu-ray BD-R)" in the listing titles. The images in the listings vary, with one (Sitting Pretty) looking like a regular Blu-ray, and the others not. I guess I'll find out for sure when I get them.

Attachments

• coney island.jpg
    coney island.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 62
  • sentimental journey.jpg
    sentimental journey.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 57
  • sitting pretty.jpg
    sitting pretty.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 58
  • woman's world.jpg
    woman's world.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 56

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I took Sitting Pretty off the shelf last night and watched it. I've always loved the movie, but the Fox Archive Blu-ray isn't pristine (the studio should have taken some lessons from Warner Archive about bringing classics to Blu-ray). Sharpness is fine, and the image is bright, but tonalities in the grayscale vary throughout the film, and there is an occasional artifact that pops up and interrupts one's enjoyment of the movie.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I took Sitting Pretty off the shelf last night and watched it. I've always loved the movie, but the Fox Archive Blu-ray isn't pristine (the studio should have taken some lessons from Warner Archive about bringing classics to Blu-ray). Sharpness is fine, and the image is bright, but tonalities in the grayscale vary throughout the film, and there is an occasional artifact that pops up and interrupts one's enjoyment of the movie.
Well, as I remember it, these releases weren't perfect, and the audio in particular was singled out on all of them for being lossy. Still, my impression was that the transfers were a HUGE improvement over the dreck that they released on their MOD DVDs (and when I say "dreck," I'm referring to the transfers, not the movies themselves). And, to be fair, ALL the MOD lines could still learn a thing or two from WAC. I think Sony is the closest now (but even they had a learning curve to get where they are).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, as I remember it, these releases weren't perfect, and the audio in particular was singled out on all of them for being lossy. Still, my impression was that the transfers were a HUGE improvement over the dreck that they released on their MOD DVDs (and when I say "dreck," I'm referring to the transfers, not the movies themselves). And, to be fair, ALL the MOD lines could still learn a thing or two from WAC. I think Sony is the closest now (but even they had a learning curve to get where they are).
Yes, they are advances on Fox's Cinema Archive DVD-MOD program. Woman's World in particular was a HUGE improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks