What's new

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
3 more guys are being interviewed.

Wade Phillips(DC of San Diego)
Gary Gibbs(Former OU coach and DC of NO)
Norv Turner(former Dallas OC, HC for Oakland and Washington and OC at SF).

Familiarity seems to be the key with Jones here.

Is Jerry going to pull a Snyder on us and sign up an all star staff?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I doubt that he could sign both Phillips and Turner. Both are already coordinators, so would only leave if they got the head coaching job. Instead, Jones probably needs several candidates to find one willing to take a job with his successor (Garrett) already on the staff.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if it has occurred to Bobby Petrino that Michael and Marcus are brothers? :) I was thinking that when I was remembering the incident with Marcus during the bowl game of last year.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
If Norv comes back and also has Jason Garrett, they should lure Troy Aikmen to join them too....bring back some very fond memories. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Turner has not had a lot of success as a head coach. To be honest, I never loved him as Off Coordinator. When you have Novacek, Aikman, Smith, and Irvin, plus the best line in football, it tends to make you look better than you are (see Shanahan and Elway, Martz and the Rams, etc, etc). There were several times I was shocked at how pedestrian the Cowboys offense was in the mid-90's. That many weapons, and we saw the same plays over and over. I consider Turner a foregone conclusion at this point, and a solid step down for the team.

It could be a lot worse, though.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Well, he did have a hot head in Daniel Snyder who was quick to pull the trigger, and the Raiders have just flat out sucked no matter who coached them.

I don't know. I keep thinking of a quote either from Parcells or Bob Knight. The quote basically said that the best way to gauge how good a coach is is to give him talented players and see how well they do. On that note, Matt Daughtery (can't spell his last name) had a wealth of recruits at North Carolina, and he just plain sucked.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of the Raiders, Greg Knapp got signed on as offensive coordinator for the Raiders. Maybe he'll get more out of Walters (and Vick's cousin, if he's still on the roster next season).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Big surprise on Tagliabue.

Nice to see Irvin make it. His off-the-field troubles do him little credit, but as a player, he certainly deserves the accolade.

Not nearly as controversial is Matthews...a legend gets in on his first try :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There are no punters in the Hall of Fame, so Guy's omission is not a huge surprise. Monk, however, was the career receptions leader when he retired (and is still 6th), has played on two Super Bowl winners (and a third that lost in the Big Game), and was a three-time Pro Bowler. He has more receptions (940 vs. 750), receiving yards (12,721 vs. 11,904) and TD receptions (68 vs. 65) than this year's inductee Michael Irvin.

I'm not implying that Irvin is undeserving -- he belongs in the Hall. However, no other receiver with Monk's credentials has been left out. Hell, if Lynn Swann's in the Hall, then Monk certainly should be (and I'm a huge Steelers fan).

On a more upbeat note, it was nice to see Charlie Sanders get in. He was one of the best tight ends in the '70's, and he is also a very classy guy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And I think only was PK is in, Jan Steinurude(sp?).

While I'm no fan of the Raiders, Guy was strategic weapon. He had the ability to put offenses in the hole, and he did it often. It seems to me there should be a punter in the HOF, and he should be the one.

It does seem ridiculous to me that there is only one kicker in the HOF.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think the fact that there are no punters in the HOF is reason Guy should be in. Every position should be represented as they all have a bearing on the game. Find me another punter better then him, and put them in the hall.

I still wish Derrick Thomas had made it in, that's my player I hold out hope for when voting comes around.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that every position should be represented in the HOF including the punter. Ray Guy is the definition of what a great punter means to a football team. I was listening to ESPN radio earlier today and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that nerd, John Clayton state without apology that Guy or any other punter doesn't belong in the HOF and that he would have a hard time considering Vinatieri for it. He has no respect for any kickers, no matter how great they were at their job.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Alot of people feel that way. He's for sure not alone. Vinatieri is probably the only placekicker/punter I'd vote in.

Art Monk and Derrick Thomas should have made it. IMHO of course.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The Bears destroyed the Saints in the rain. Not to mention they're based in Chicago. They should be better prepared in inclement weather vs. the Colts imo.

edit- oops, read it wrong ;) Thought it read "if it was in Vegas..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks