What's new

What's On Your Mind? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I thought it would be fun to create a thread where Members could drop in any time of day or night and say what's on their mind. Just whatever's on your mind, good or bad, spontaneously. Post daily at your heart's content :) Here, I'll start.

I finally got my credit score past the 700 mark. I ruined my credit after years of frivolous spending and have been hard at work at improving it and now I've done it. Yay. I didn't know that scores go up and down on a monthly basis, though. I'll have to work harder to keep my score above 700. I think I can do it.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My 5 year anniversary at my current trucking company is tomorrow, I think. Will be taking a vacation soon. I should be entitled to 3 weeks pay, but will be taking the time, whether I get paid or not. Will be just chilling at the house for vacation this time. 😁

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've lived and worked in New York City all my life. Even when I was a kid the city was always wrapped in scaffolding and that is still the case! Weird thing is, I rarely see workers actually working above those things. Sometimes I wonder if there's a scaffolding racket going on.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I've lived and worked in New York City all my life. Even when I was a kid the city was always wrapped in scaffolding and that is still the case! Weird thing is, I rarely see workers actually working above those things. Sometimes I wonder if there's a scaffolding racket going on.
I remember the first time I was in Manhattan- May 2001. All the high rise buildings- being born and raised in the Philly area, I was taken aback by how NYC made Philly seem like a small town. Went to the top of the south tower of the World Trade Center during that visit. Got some really good photos looking down on the city.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
First (sort of) significant snowfall of the season, three weeks short of the official beginning of Spring. I was starting to forget what snow looked like.
Yes I live in northeast Kentucky, about 90 minutes southeast of Cincinnati, and we haven’t had much snow either. A couple of days before Christmas, we had that polar vortex weather come in, when the air temperature dropped below zero, coupled with a few inches of snow. Nothing to speak of since. Works for me- I’d rather not see any snow.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think it's kinda like the painters of the Golden Gate Bridge...they're always at one end or the other repainting over what they did before. In NYC, they're in a constent flux of repair or construction...a racket's a racket, at least it's a living...LOL!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
First (sort of) significant snowfall of the season, three weeks short of the official beginning of Spring. I was starting to forget what snow looked like.
That was Colorado last year. I was out watering my yard in December, praying that my lawn wouldn't die!!
At least now I'm almost safe...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don't get why people fawn over "high end" grocers like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. What's the difference between a banana from TJ and a banana from a street vendor/regular supermarket? Are the ones from Whole Foods grown on Hipster's condo rooftops in Brooklyn?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure I'd consider TJ's "high end". Most of their stuff is pretty cheap, as they mostly only sell their own branded products. I get there once in a while and like most everything I've ever bought. Love the wine selection that's often less than $10/bottle.

I think regular bananas at TJ's are 19 cents each (organic is 25 cents). At 19 cents each, I think that's comparable with regular supermarkets around here that sell them for 69 cents a pound.

No Whole Foods around here, so I don't know anything about them.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I found this interesting- a 98 year old woman, who was born and raised in Kentucky, and still lives there, was in a photo with a 7 week old baby that is 5 generations younger. Six blood generations in a photo- has to be an extremely rare occurrence. She married very young- 16 years old- to a much older guy who had 10 kids. She would have 13 kids of her own. This woman has 106 grandchildren, 222 great grandchildren,
234 great great grandchildren, and 37 great great great grandchildren.

The reason this caught my eye is my mother- also born and raised in Kentucky, had 10 brothers and sisters, and 6 more siblings that didn’t make it to 2 years old, so my grandmother had 17 kids in about a 23 or 24 year period. She died of a heart attack at 62 years of age. No surprise- she had a hard life.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Six blood generations in a photo- has to be an extremely rare occurrence.
Six is probably pretty rare. Years ago, one branch of my family did a photo with five generations.

If I'd wanted children, I might have been able to do five generations as my grandmother is approaching 101.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm 49 and have no children of my own. I have a brother, who is in his 40's - also no children (that I know of) - if neither of us have kids we're going to end our bloodline. I don't want children. My Sister's kids all turned out to be selfish a**holes. Weren't always that way - they started out as cute kids - until they grew up. That's not the kind of life I want or need. No thanks.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm 49 and have no children of my own. I have a brother, who is in his 40's - also no children (that I know of) - if neither of us have kids we're going to end our bloodline. I don't want children. My Sister's kids all turned out to be selfish a**holes. Weren't always that way - they started out as cute kids - until they grew up. That's not the kind of life I want or need. No thanks.
Yes I have never had kids either. I have 2 younger brothers and an older sister (she died in 2012 🙁)- none of us have kids.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the spirit of some of the recent posts, I will post here a link to one of my favorite news stories of recent years.

On September 26, 2020, Lyon Gardiner Tyler, Jr of Franklin, TN died. Tyler, age 95, was the grandson of our 10th US President, John Tyler. Let that sink in. John Tyler served as president from 1841-1845. His grandson just recently died. And one Tyler grandchild is still alive!

John Tyler was a father to 15 children over his two marriages. He was born in 1790 (14 years after the founding of the US).

His son Lyon Gardiner Tyler was born in 1853 (when John Tyler was 63 years old).

Lyon Gardiner Tyler, Jr. (and his still living brother Harrison Tyler) were born when their father was in his 70s (in the late 1920s). They both lived into their 90s.

It's fantastical.

Smithsonian Magazine article

USA Today story

61154273-285a-4c4d-9051-31c937bba0fd-XXX_John-Taylor.jpg

President John Tyler

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That is amazing- those guys had kids VERY late in life. This is likely more unique than that woman I posted about.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'm now 100% convinced that people who are walking around in shorts and T shirts in cold Northeast weather are sporting the latest fashion trend. I don't know who starts these ridiculous fads but they catch on pretty quick because I'm seeing more and more doofuses in shorts and jackets. You're gonna make a fool of yourself why not go all the way and wear flip flops too? LMAO

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I inherited my dad's hair loss. Bummer, but at least I don't have grey hair yet. I'll be 50 next year and my hair, what's left of it, is still jet black. My beard has a few grays but I can shave that off anytime. I know people who are in their early to mid 40's who are silver haired early.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks