What's new

Formula One and Indy 500 this weekend-how to watch (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I wanted to post a quick question about this weekend’s big motor sports events. As a little kid, every year I watched the Indy 500 on ABC broadcast before there was ever cable. And it was probably my teens when I discovered there was a race called the Monaco Grand Prix and that fascinated me. Especially after seeing the 1966 movie Grand Prix, I’ve enjoyed any opportunity to see that race.

I’ve never had cable and I don’t have any channels that I stream that carry sports, as far as I know. So I always watch the Indy 500 every year when it’s broadcast over-the-air live. I’d forgotten the Indy 500 is on NBC this year. So from looking at the TV Guide app’s listings, it’s airing this Sunday on NBC at 9:30am west coast time.

I’ve also seen a story on ABC that Formula One is now becoming big in the US. Kind of funny as it’s been so huge in the rest of the world, but I know that open wheel racing was limited to the US CART league for some time that did air some races on ABC. NASCAR is what has been big in the US. But the Indy 500 is the big one that airs every year.

So from what I can see, ABC will broadcast over-the-air the Monaco Grand Prix this Sunday morning at 4:30am West Coast time. And as I said above, NBC will broadcast over-the-air the Indy 500 starting at 9:30am. That will make for some great motor sports viewing all morning.

I wanted to ask you guys in the know, if i am correct to think both races are being broadcast free over the air? Or would I need to subscribe to one of the streamers to see both.

Thanks for your insights!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The 500 is broadcast free (in the U.S. except in the Indy market) however an extended broadcast will be on Peacock.
I don't know about Monaco.
Cheers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 500 is broadcast free (in the U.S. except in the Indy market) however an extended broadcast will be on Peacock.
I don't know about Monaco.
Cheers
The proper way to watch the Indy 500 is to turn on the radio. :)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
The proper way to watch the Indy 500 is to turn on the radio. :)
Not always Dave. Because I was one of the first kids to own a BetaMax, I was able to record the Indy 500 (in Detroit). I was then invited to a party in Indianapolis that was attended by several young up and coming drivers and their significant others, that had been spotters for the TV broadcast. They were to busy to actually watch what was happening and they wanted to see the race. It was a great evening I'll always remember.

But I remember listening to a lot of the races with my dad on the radio while having picnics (also great memories).
Cheers

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did some more digging this evening and it appears both races will be broadcast over the air.

For Monaco:
2386D2B8-2D78-4743-BB8D-10E0485304EC.jpeg

And for Indy:
20F90AAE-2561-4BFF-8E63-EF053EDCFCAE.jpeg

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Indy is always OTA, at least for the race itself. That said, I seem recall as I kid it was tape delayed. Without Googling I don’t know when it went live. And I seem to recall that it was blacked out in the Indy area.

And back in the day, Monaco was also taped delayed on Wide World of Sports. I vaguely recall one year watching the race, and at its conclusion they went live to where Jim Lampley interviewed Ayrton Senna, wearing a tuxedo at a banquet.

F1 is generally not OTA save for Monaco and the US races. This site will have detail of each upcoming race and general info for the season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I also remember as a kid the Indy 500 was tape delayed. There have been a few times in recent years I caught Monaco on tape delay. That would be better then getting up at 4:30am!

Thanks for the link to the upcoming F1 races. I’ll check it out!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, thought I’d revive this thread.

I had concluded that I would not be able to watch this weekend’s Las Vegas F1 race. But now I’m reconsidering looking at how to watch it via streaming services. Either live or through on demand at a later time since it will be on late Saturday night. And preferable just pay for the month and then cancel, if that’s possible.

In looking at options, I see Formula One has an app. That might be an option. Then there is DirectTv that includes ESPN, but that’s pricey. it’s not so much the cost, but most of the content I won’t watch anyway. Hulu is pricey too and I won’t be watching its content either. So I’m curious what you guys do watching sports?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks