What's new

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He hasn't done too badly with those young coaches he has hired. I always thought he shouldn't have fired Shanahan, who will probably go into the HOF based on his Denver record, with Madden in the HOF and Gruden still young enough to make a run for it.

Don't forget that Al was only 33 years old when he became the Raiders head coach.

Crawdaddy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
ESPN said that The cowboys were denied permission to speak to Jeff Fisher. Someone on another board suggested Norm Chow. I'm not necessarily against that.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
A radio host in Detroit brought up an interesting point about the Dallas gig. Why would you want to go there as a coach? This isn't the years of no cap, they have the same amount to spend as any team, you have a cancer on the team in TO, many teams pay the top coaches as well as Jerry Jones and finally there is the meddling owner Jerry Jones. Why go there when you can go somewhere like Detroit and have great job security and an owner that will spend, but not care how bad you perform. Very interesting. Of course Dallas has the appeal of just being "America's Team", but it isn't what it once was.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I can see why Jeff Fisher would prefer to coach the Cowboys :laugh:

Romo AND TO vs. Young

I have NO desire for Pete Carroll...he sucked in the pros. He needs the recruiting advantage college gives.

I agree that Dallas is hardly a choice position. Young, unproven QB the fans love, headcase self-absorbed team cancer, and a team that rarely plays to ability. Plus an owner who loves credit, talks to the media all the time, and makes major team decisions for you.

I'd like Ron Rivera, and Norm Chow would be fine. From college, Urban Meyer...but he ain't leaving Florida.

Again, get a young assistant...hungry and motivated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

In the case of Shanahan and Gruden, Davis drove them away when he was unable to have complete control over their decisions. The attributes that made them successful were the same ones that Davis couldn't deal with. I think the same thing will happen with Kiffen if he's strong willed, which he needs to be to succeed at the position. If he's not, Kiffen will be looking for another job in two years.

And it's been a long time since Madden was there.

In any case, Kiffen has to be the least qualified candidate I can ever remember getting a head coaching job in the NFL. It's a very strange hire, IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What you posted still doesn't dispute the fact that Davis has been relatively successful in hiring young coaches. Whether that will be the case with Kiffen's hiring, only time will tell us for sure? Also, the way Al looked today at the press conference, Kiffen might outlast him.

Crawdaddy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chuck,
I'll be curious to see how the Gruden rumors hold up. Rumors were that he floated his name out during the season but if he's a coach, they'd have to give up draft picks to sign him. No thanks.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
One problem that Dallas faces too is that quite a bit of high profile college coaches already took new gigs. This may not be a bad thing in the long run. Look at Alabama with Saban. Yes they are paying him a zillion dollars and got turned down by alot of coaches, but Saban has shown he can win in College.

I hope Dallas finds the right guy. Problems and all, I think it's still one of the most storied and glamorous coaching jobs there is. They are still The Cowboys :cool:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Wanted to throw back in my opinion on the Raiders job.

I know this about Kiffin. His dad is the defensive coordinator with Tampa Bay and Lane Kiffin upon becoming the Offensive Coordinator at USC spent much time talking offensive football with Jon Gruden. I know that Kiffin will inherit a team with the third ranked statistical defense in the league last season and 1 that is fairly young. If the defense continues to improve and an offense can be established that is just slightly beyond compitant can get you back to .500 in a hurry. Also throw in the top draft choice just for fun.

I know that it is better than 50-50 and probably even better than 80-20 that Moss and Porter return next season.

I also know that he'll have to work with a lot of the assistants already on staff. D-coordinator Rob Ryan isn't going anywhere and nor should he. Certain coaches on the staff who just happen to be hall-of-fame players are pretty well untouchable.

I know that if Kiffin has any kind of success he'll eventually move on to bigger and better things and if he doesn't we're right back here in 2 years.

I know that Davis can identify if not necessarily keep those good young coaches. Gruden, Shanahan, Madden. However, to say that the Shanahan departure was strictly due to control issues is incorrect as while he only had 20 games in the job his tenure wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

One of the writers on The Oakland Tribune's Raiders blog has written that in Shanahan Davis found the right coach but a few years too soon. I guess this is my biggest fear about the Kiffin hire. Right guy just too soon and will probably have more success in the next job. I won't make any predictions in that direction but there is the fear.

I want to see how the offensive staff takes shape first and foremost.

As for Dallas I am very curious about whom the Cowboys will end up hiring. I think Jerry Jones is more apt to try and attract a big name coach. However, the prospect of coaching T.O. is what will really make that search an interesting one to follow.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Regarding the Dallas job, John Clayton was on Mike & Mike (ESPN radio) this morning talking about potential candidates. One rumor is someone like Norv Turner or Wade Philips as a head coach / mentor, with Jason Garrett (QB coach in Miami) as the offensive coordinator being groomed to be head coach eventually.

It sounds like a strange approach. What candidate would want to accept a job knowing he's grooming a successor and will be out of a job in a couple of years? I guess in Turner or Philips cases, it would be a chance to re-establish their reputations as head coaching material in the league, but it still seems like an unconfortable situation to me.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jason is well loved in Dallas but I think even Jones isn't ready to give him the reigns on the team yet. They were a playoff team and if Greg Ellis hadn't went out, I think they would have been a force. They were a different team prior to the Ellis injury. When he went down only Ware was left to rush the pasher and he cant' do it himself.

The Wade Phillips rumor is pretty strong I'm reading as they are asking permission to talk to him. I would hope he brings in an offensive coordinator who works well with a young QB in Romo because Wade's defense will be pretty solid if not heavily aggressive. They need to turn Ware loose like they do with Merriman.

Norv is getting unlikely because he has a kid in school up in the bay area and the 49ers are building what looks to be a half decent team.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Why Wade Phillips? He made a debacle of the Buffalo team with that quarterback situation between Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Garrett is going to be offered atleast the O-Coordinator Job. He was going to be regardless if Parcells came back or not according to the DC website.

Also they have received permission from the Chargers to speak to Wade Phillips.

Looks like Scott's rumor above is coming true.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the good info Shane & Scott. You guys are better than espn. :) Seriously, thanks for the scoop.

I did read where Stoops made it pretty clear he ain't leaving OU. Good for the Big 12, bad for A&M. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks