What's new

HTF Member Bob Grippo (RobertMG) has sadly passed away (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Sad to say that I just got conformation to my assumptions from Ron Epstein, that our friend and fellow forum member Robert/ Bob Grippo has passed away...He will be missed, I was able to talk with Bob many times and I know that he loved movies and was quite knowledgable on film, he really loved his Noir movies and the classic War period films.
He had written a nice couple of books on the history of Macy's and the Macey's Day Parade and was involoved in many of them. He reverted to an 8 year old kid when he started talking about Macy's...If you haven't seen it here is the link -
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Rober...ramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

I loved his sence of humor and his comments in this forum, I hope that others here might take a minute and add something here and share your experiences and memories about Bob and add to the conversation.

Although I miss him, he is no longer in pain and can rest now. Bye Bob!!!

Here is the note from Ron:
Todd,

I finally heard something today and sadly, it's not good news.

I received this private message:

Hi Ron,

Hope 2024 is treating you well thus far.

I wanted to let someone with HTF know that one of our fellow members, Robert M. Grippo (who went by the username RobertMG), passed away on January 20th after a lengthy illness which he discussed often here. I found this out on FB today through Tim Millard's Warner Archive & Warner Bros. Catalogue group. He was an enthusiastic poster, sometimes overly so, but had a deep love and appreciation for the classics. I was afraid he may have passed since I hadn't seen any posts from him in quite some time.

Anyway, thought I'd pass this sad news along and may he RIP.

Stay well,

Joel

Last edited by a moderator:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Sad to say that I just got conformation to my assumptions from Ron Epstein, that our friend and fellow forum member Robert/ Bob Grippo has passed away...He will be missed, I was able to talk with Bob many times and I know that he loved movies and was quite knowledgable on film, he really loved his Noir movies and the classic War period films.
He had written a nice couple of books on the history of Macy's and the Macey's Day Parade and was involoved in many of them. He reverted to an 8 year old kid when he started talking about Macy's...If you haven't seen it here is the link -
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Rober...ramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

I loved his sence of humor and his comments in this forum, I hope that others here might take a minute and add something here and share your experiences and memories about Bob and add to the conversation.

Although I miss him, he is no longer in pain and can rest now. Bye Bob!!!

Here is the note from Ron:
Todd,

I finally heard something today and sadly, it's not good news.

I received this private message from member Bob Grippo:

Hi Ron,

Hope 2024 is treating you well thus far.

I wanted to let someone with HTF know that one of our fellow members, Robert M. Grippo (who went by the username RobertMG), passed away on January 20th after a lengthy illness which he discussed often here. I found this out on FB today through Tim Millard's Warner Archive & Warner Bros. Catalogue group. He was an enthusiastic poster, sometimes overly so, but had a deep love and appreciation for the classics. I was afraid he may have passed since I hadn't seen any posts from him in quite some time.

Anyway, thought I'd pass this sad news along and may he RIP.

Stay well,

Joel
Thank you once again, Todd. I know you’ve been trying hard to get news of Bob and his mom, Cathy for some months now.

Our fears for Bob have finally been realised, though as you pointed out, he is finally freed from the excruciating pain and anxieties he suffered.

To member Joel (?), who shared this news with @Ronald Epstein , firstly thank you very much for doing so. Would you please also message me directly, as I’m hoping you (or your contacts who shared Bob’s news with you) may also have news of Cathy and/or how to contact her, as she’s not been answering phone calls for some time.

Bless you, Bob.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thank you once again, Todd. I know you’ve been trying hard to get news of Bob and his mom, Cathy for some months now.

Our fears for Bob have finally been realised, though as you pointed out, he is finally freed from the excruciating pain and anxieties he suffered.

To member Joel (?), who shared this news with @Ronald Epstein , firstly thank you very much for doing so. Would you please also message me directly, as I’m hoping you (or your contacts who shared Bob’s news with you) may also have news of Cathy and/or how to contact her, as she’s not been answering phone calls for some time.

Bless you, Bob.
Sad affair, I still have no responce from the house where Bob and his Mom Cathy lived...since she apparently wishes to be left alone at this time, I can empathize and hopefully at sometime down the road we can try and reconnect to Cathy and see how shes doing. Because I know that she wasn't in the best of health either.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m saddened to hear this news.

Robert was tremendously enthusiastic about the movies, their history, and making sure that they were available to the public at large. While we at times had disagreements about this industry that’s our collective hobby, he had this wonderful way of making sure that you always knew he respected you even when he disagreed with you, which only made me appreciate him more.

I’ve heard it said that what happens to each of us after this life is different and unique for each soul. If that is true, it’s not hard to imagine Robert surrounded by an entire golden age’s worth of movie stars watching the glories of the silver screen for all of time. I hope he is at peace, enjoying the classics in comfort.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Sad affair, I still have no responce from the house where Bob and his Mom Cathy lived...since she apparently wishes to be left alone at this time, I can empathize and hopefully at sometime down the road we can try and reconnect to Cathy and see how shes doing. Because I know that she wasn't in the best of health either.
Thanks Todd. I suspect Cathy’s not been staying at that address ever since she and Bob moved to be with his niece during his treatment.

Bob frequently emailed about his worries for his Mom should he go first. Perhaps a message of condolence from us letting her know how highly many here felt about Bob and that we are thinking of them both might help provide a measure of comfort to a woman who had devoted her own twilight years to nursing her ailing son.

We can discuss this further privately if you wish, but I’d still ask member Joel to please get in touch with me should they read this.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I had been holding out hope that somehow Bob would get better and return to the forum

For the longest time, Bob dominated this forum with his daily interactions. He posted so frequently that one couldn't help but trip over him. He just had that level of enthusiasm and passion for classic film.

I'm going to miss him. R.I.P.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Thanks Todd. I suspect Cathy’s not been staying at that address ever since she and Bob moved to be with his niece during his treatment.

Bob frequently emailed about his worries for his Mom should he go first. Perhaps a message of condolence from us letting her know how highly many here felt about Bob and that we are thinking of them both might help provide a measure of comfort to a woman who had devoted her own twilight years to nursing her ailing son.

We can discuss this further privately if you wish, but I’d still ask member Joel to please get in touch with me should they read this.
Thanks Ramin, I never got the nieces name or her address, so I'm sure that mail may be picked up occasionally. If you are able to find something out please share it here. I'm sure that Cathy and her Niece woud appreciate us reaching out to show some love and out thoughts and memories about Bob.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
About an hour, ago, I noticed for the first time a thread entitled “Support for HTF Member in Need” by RMajidi. I began to read it.

RobertMG was in trouble. Legitimate trouble. The declines taking place were demoralizing with posts that informed and reminded us as to the fragilities of life.

And then a few posts later I realized it - I saw it - another “Deceased Member” insignia. Earlier this evening, I was spending in-depth time reading about Johnny Angell who had also passed away, back in April. And now RobertMG. Here. Tonight. This thread. Posted only days, ago. Spent, as Robert’s complex story is more to me than sad. I can think of no words. Much about Robert shall be missed at HTF.

Blessings to RobertMG. May he rest in peace. And may some semblances of comforts find a way of reaching Robert’s mother Cathy.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately a sad fact of life that we all face this inevitable fate. Sorry to hear about Bob's passing. While I did not interact much with him on the forum, I appreciated his enthusiasm and enjoyed his postings. As always, condolences to his friends and family; R.I.P. Bob.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks