What's new

We Lost HTF Member Johnny Angell (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
As Ron notes...that's not what we do.

We've lost quite a few members over the years here at the HTF--due to attrition, being banned and death. We don't delete members posts just because they cease being a part of the community.

The conversations are the conversations. It's our raison d'etre. We value them greatly. If we were to start purging chunks of them, they wouldn't make any sense. Once you are a contributor to this forum, you remain part of the forum's history.

And if his posts were removed, the topics/threads he contributed to would quite suddenly seem choppy (I would imagine).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Of course. We aren't going to delete any of his contributions here.
The sentiment of this statement is understood however It might be a good idea to initiate a plan similar to what Google uses so the retention of data is ultimately left to the member or their family. I get occasional emails from Google affirming my intentions should my account become inactive for a predetermined amount of time and they are unable to contact me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The sentiment of this statement is understood however It might be a good idea to initiate a plan similar to what Google uses so the retention of data is ultimately left to the member or their family. I get occasional emails from Google affirming my intentions should my account become inactive for a predetermined amount of time and they are unable to contact me.

John, I don't think you'll find any forum out there that has a plan similar to what Google does in the event of a death.

Basically, when you post on one of these forums, it becomes a part of its permanent history.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think all you would need to do is add something to the member info under their picture like "deceased" or "RIP" or something similar to avoid someone responding to said poster in an old thread.

Indeed-- that would help avoid a poster being embarrassed when they quote what someone said, only to never get a response from the one they quoted.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm quite saddened about Johnny's passing. Like others, I noticed he'd not posted but it just didn't register.

My last contact with Johnny was the day after the tornado/storm system, that he was helping clean up, went through. I live a few hours NE of Johnny and Clint (in a town that's been hit many times over the years) so had reached out following the storm to ask if all was OK. Johnny replied:
Yes, we are ok. We are in Maumelle, a suburb of Little Rock. The bad stuff didn’t come near us, but it wouldn’t have taken much of the tornadoes part to get to us. We moved here in 1992, I think, and I’ve still to lay my eyes on a twister. I like that arrangement.
A week later he was gone... and I never noticed. :(

I love his "informational" blurb under his avatar:

"Played With Dinosaurs"​

It *always* gave me a chuckle.

Rest in peace, my friend and say "Hello" to the dinosaurs for me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John, I don't think you'll find any forum out there that has a plan similar to what Google does in the event of a death.

Basically, when you post on one of these forums, it becomes a part of its permanent history.
Just as well. I don't think it's a real issue in an environment such as this one. I'd suspect most [Johnny and myself included] would prefer it that way.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, deleting posts from a member who passed away would make those threads baffling, to say the least.

Besides, they are a contribution by that person. Deleting them would be like destroying all my photography after I passed.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HTF terms of membership also state the following:

"You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service."

Sad to hear about Johnny's passing. He was definitely one of the good ones, helping out right up to the end.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think all you would need to do is add something to the member info under their picture like "deceased" or "RIP" or something similar to avoid someone responding to said poster in an old thread.

Indeed-- that would help avoid a poster being embarrassed when they quote what someone said, only to never get a response from the one they quoted.

Gents, I have taken your idea to heart.

I created a new classification banner with "Deceased Member" that will be placed under the avatar of any of our members who are reported to have passed.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Gents, I have taken your idea to heart.

I created a new classification banner with "Deceased Member" that will be placed under the avatar of any of our members who are reported to have passed.

Just noticed thereto in checking out something I said to him before, and his response-- that does help to identify those of us who have passed on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As most of you know, there may have been no greater advocate for cat adoption than Johnny Angell.

I just ran across an article by Johnny (which was printed in Guideposts Magazine in 2017. My wife Peggy is a contributing editor at Guideposts & Angels on Earth and helped bring it about.) Because of my advocacy for dogs and Johnny's for cats the two of us had many conversations here and shared stories about our adventures.
And with the holidays fast approaching, I can think of no better time to post it again:

full

full

full

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It’s my sad duty this morning to report the passing of one of our longtime members, Johnny Angell.

I noticed yesterday that I had not seen a new post from Johnny in over three months, which was uncharacteristic of him. Johnny had openly posted here over the past few years about his medical issues, and I began to worry that something may have happened to him. My fears were confirmed when I googled his name and found his obituary.

Johnny, unfortunately, passed away on April 7th of this year as the result of a fall sustained while helping a friend clear debris from the EF3 tornado that tore through the Little Rock metro the afternoon of March 31st.

Many long time members of HTF will remember Johnny as loving classic monster movies, dinosaurs, bourbon, running, and pumpkin carving. His greatest passion, however, was animal rescue. He felt so strongly about it that he, along with his wife, helped found FuRR (Feline Rescue and Rehome) in central Arkansas.

I lived a mere 20 minutes from Johnny but never got the opportunity to meet him in person, a regret I now carry with me. From our interactions here on HTF though, I can tell you that he was a great person and a very kind human being. He will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace, Johnny.

Johnny’s obituary
I know I'm extremely late, here! Just yesterday, I was wondering about Johnny, as it has been a long time since I've seen him on here.

Several years back when I was going through a rather difficult time, Johnny reached out to me, and I always appreciated that! That he basically died helping others, horribly sad as his passing is, does not surprise me. He was a very kind and thoughtful soul!

My full sympathy and condolences (However belated!) go out to Johnny Angell's family!! :(

Rest in peace, brother! :emoji_heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks