What's new

We Lost HTF Member Johnny Angell (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
JOHNNY ANGELL (77), of Maumelle, passed away on April 7, 2023 from a fall while collecting branches at a friend's home affected by the recent tornado. Known for his all-encompassing kindness to both people and animals, Johnny and his wife, Stacy, are best known as two of the original founders of FuRR (Feline Rescue and Rehome), which has helped thousands of cats in Arkansas. Johnny and Stacy themselves have adopted dozens of felines over the years. Human or animal, it didn't make any difference; Johnny always tried to help those in need.
Johnny was born in Chula Vista, Calif., in 1946, to Johnny and Bessie Angell. He served in the Army from 1968 to 1971, mainly in Thailand and Germany, and went on to pursue his education at Southwestern College. He found success as a programmer for Dataminer, and in 1981, he joined San Diego Federal Savings and Loan. There he met his future wife, Stacy, and married at the same place his parents wed: Little Chapel of the Roses in Glen Abbey Memorial Park. Yes, a cemetery! Quite fitting as one of his favorite pastimes was watching kitschy SIFI and horror films, his favorite being "The Creature from the Black Lagoon." Johnny's ashes will also be buried there in May next to his mother and father. Those wishing to attend the gravesite goodbye in California are welcome to do so.
In 1992, Johnny and Stacy moved to Maumelle, Ark., accompanied by an impressive entourage of nine cats and two cockateels. Soon, they both worked at Systematics, where they found lifelong friends.
Johnny was known for his adventurous spirit, evidenced by his passion for snow skiing, white water rafting, photography, scuba diving, and running. He acquired numerous running medals and even won first place for his age group in the LR 10K in 2015. In the 2000's, he became a master pumpkin carver of 200 lb. pumpkins. This is where his love for film monsters and dinosaurs flourished and was soon recognized by local news.
The picture above shows Johnny with a prototype of a metal butterfly sculpture he was crafting in honor of his and Stacy's 40th anniversary last February. Look closely and you will see a hidden "J heart S." It took him months with his Parkinson's, but he was determined to make something special for his beloved wife.
Johnny is survived by his wife, Stacy Weaver; brother, David Angel; nieces, Kristin Angel, Kelly Angel, Kathy Bradley, Jody Heath, and Becky Litteral; and nephews, Jon Angel, Mark Dumas, Clyde Dumas, and Dan Heath. Johnny was preceded in death by his parents and his sisters, Mary, Alice, and Lila.
A celebration of his life will be held at Roller-Drummond Funeral Home at 10900 Interstate 30 in Little Rock on Friday, May 5, 5 p.m. We ask that attendees dress as Johnny liked to dress: casually in t-shirts with a monster, octopus, dragon, or other animal, and perhaps a snarky comment! In lieu of flowers, donations can be made at The Boulevard Veterinary Clinic 10500 Maumelle Blvd, North Little Rock, Ark., 72113, for the ongoing care of Johnny's pets or to the Little Rock Tornado Relief fund or to Community Cats of Central AR for tornado pets. You can also remember him by doing a kindness daily, albeit, human or furry.
Please share you condolences and support with Stacy and family at: www.rollerfuneralhomes.com/chenal.

Published April 23, 2023

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny was great.

He joined the forum on December 13, 1998. But he was so much more than just one of the "old guys" on the forum.

Like Clinton, I never met him, but feel like I got to know him over my 22 years on the forum.

As Jose points out:

His heart was in the right place. He loved his fellow humans and animals.

Because of his passion for helping animals (a passion shared by me and Peg), we chatted quite often about our dogs and cats and our desire to make life better for as many as we physically can.

In fact, Peg and Johnny struck up an online correspondence and she helped Johnny bring one of his stories to Guideposts Magazine:

Doubly Blessed by a Pair of Furry Angels

I'm really sad that he won't be contributing here any more. RIP Johnny.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, this just sucks. What a shame. I have to admit here that I didn't notice his recent absence until this thread brought it to my attention, but I certainly liked reading his posts. He will certainly be missed here and, I'm sure, elsewhere.

Rest In Peace. :(

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It’s my sad duty this morning to report the passing of one of our longtime members, Johnny Angell.
I'm really sad to read this news, but I really appreciate you sharing it with us all.

Johnny, unfortunately, passed away on April 7th of this year as the result of a fall sustained while helping a friend clear debris from the EF3 tornado that tore through the Little Rock metro the afternoon of March 31st.
Considering all of the medical ordeals he'd overcome, it's crazy that a fluke situation like that is to blame. But then again, his Parkinson's probably played a role in his fall.

When I think of him, I will always think of his pumpkin self-portrait:
Johnny Angell's pumpkin self-portrait

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Now that you mention it, it's really crazy to think of how many of us feel like close friends here but likely associate each other more with our respective avatars than our actual faces. I don't think I'd ever seen an actual photo of Johnny before looking at his obituary. But I always knew exactly who he was from looking at that distinctive avatar. I will miss seeing it (and Johnny) around the board. It was always a pleasure to interact with him here.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm really sad to read this news, but I really appreciate you sharing it with us all.

Considering all of the medical ordeals he'd overcome, it's crazy that a fluke situation like that is to blame. But then again, his Parkinson's probably played a role in his fall.

View attachment 191903
I'd always seen his avatar but I could never figure out what it was. Thanks for enlightening me!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It’s my sad duty this morning to report the passing of one of our longtime members, Johnny Angell.

I noticed yesterday that I had not seen a new post from Johnny in over three months, which was uncharacteristic of him. Johnny had openly posted here over the past few years about his medical issues, and I began to worry that something may have happened to him. My fears were confirmed when I googled his name and found his obituary.

Johnny, unfortunately, passed away on April 7th of this year as the result of a fall sustained while helping a friend clear debris from the EF3 tornado that tore through the Little Rock metro the afternoon of March 31st.

Many long time members of HTF will remember Johnny as loving classic monster movies, dinosaurs, bourbon, running, and pumpkin carving. His greatest passion, however, was animal rescue. He felt so strongly about it that he, along with his wife, helped found FuRR (Feline Rescue and Rehome) in central Arkansas.

I lived a mere 20 minutes from Johnny but never got the opportunity to meet him in person, a regret I now carry with me. From our interactions here on HTF though, I can tell you that he was a great person and a very kind human being. He will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace, Johnny.

Johnny’s obituary

Sad to hear about that-- he contributed much here; I never truly realized that he was ailing.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
BTW, bumping this up-- are all of his posts going to still be on record here? I recall his responses to quite a few things I had to say, and that's why I'm wondering.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He was quite a regular poster here, so I feel bad that his absence from here went unnoticed for such a long period, until now and for such an unfortunate reason. Belated condolences to his family and friends for their loss. RiP.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of course. We aren't going to delete any of his contributions here.
As Ron notes...that's not what we do.

We've lost quite a few members over the years here at the HTF--due to attrition, being banned and death. We don't delete members posts just because they cease being a part of the community.

The conversations are the conversations. It's our raison d'etre. We value them greatly. If we were to start purging chunks of them, they wouldn't make any sense. Once you are a contributor to this forum, you remain part of the forum's history.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While I had only a few interactions with Johnny, each was marked with courtesy and respect. I am saddened by his passing and humbled to know (despite the health issues alluded to in this thread) he died lending assistance to others.

May he R.I.P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks