What's new

Top 10 Anticipated Discs of 2024...So Far (4 Viewers)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Mine so far (more or less chronologically by anticipated '24 release date) -- all blu rays:

- Incubus (1966) (actually released in France in Dec. but with shipping essentially a '24 US release)
- The Devil's Partner
- Red Planet Mars
- Goodbye & Amen (with a first-time English track)
- Blood on the Sun
- Maneater of Kumaon
- Finger Man
- Back From the Dead
- Bwana Devil (3D)
- The Glass Web (3D)

I have a few others, like Destination Inner Space (mentioned above) and the planned VCI upgrade of 1930's The Bat Whispers. All in all, a good year for classic genre blu rays.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
What do we know about this so far? Will they be licensing to boutique labels?

I had been prioritizing old Fox blurays from before the acquisition on the assumption that rereleases and remasters were not especially likely.

The hope is that Disney will begin licensing to third parties beginning sometime this year but so far it's just speculation and wishful thinking based on the fact that the studio has already released a handful of titles that were exclusive to their streaming service - something many people thought would never happen. Then there are the James Cameron titles already released and upcoming (like Abyss, et. al) but those are more widely believed to be one-offs at Cameron's direction. We're all just waiting with baited breath for that first hint, or, better yet, announcement(s) of the first trickle of Fox and/or Disney live action titles.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I'm looking forward to that other James Cameron movie, "Rambo: First Blood Part II" with the recently located original six-track mix. It's been in production for awhile and I'm hopeful it comes out this year.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
The hope is that Disney will begin licensing to third parties beginning sometime this year but so far it's just speculation and wishful thinking based on the fact that the studio has already released a handful of titles that were exclusive to their streaming service - something many people thought would never happen. Then there are the James Cameron titles already released and upcoming (like Abyss, et. al) but those are more widely believed to be one-offs at Cameron's direction. We're all just waiting with baited breath for that first hint, or, better yet, announcement(s) of the first trickle of Fox and/or Disney live action titles.

Well I suppose I'll have to see it to believe it, but that that would be very welcome.

They've been having kind of a rough time financially of late which may make them more open to potential revenue sources they've been quite happy to ignore for too long.

Denham

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Looking For Mr. Goodbar *
Little Darlings*
Horrible Dr. Hitchcock
Phase IV
Paint Your Wagon
Conan The Barbarian/Destroyer
Inside The Mind Of Coffin Joe

*strongly rumored, with pre-order beginning possibly this week

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Around the World in 80 Days. This appears to be in the works (as has been discussed extensively in another thread) but whether this will be a 2024 release is of course TBD.

Announced by Kino in 2023 as coming soon:
Murder on the Orient Express (1974) (4K)
Sneakers (4K)
Brokeback Mountain (4K)
Lost in Translation (4K)
Manhunter (4K)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Around the World in 80 Days. This appears to be in the works (as has been discussed extensively in another thread) but whether this will be a 2024 release is of course TBD.

Announced by Kino in 2023 as coming soon:
Murder on the Orient Express (1974) (4K)
Sneakers (4K)
Brokeback Mountain (4K)
Lost in Translation (4K)
Manhunter (4K)
Brokeback Mountain has been in desperate need of remastering, ever since it was first released. The 2009 blu-ray was released when Universal were pumping out up-rezzed DVD masters and eliminating all visible film grain. The blu-ray is completely unwatchable. I put it in a couple of years ago and cancelled the viewing, after ten minutes. The Lost In Translation blu-ray is also quite horrible.

I love it, when titles - such as these two - are released on 4K UHD. It's not quite as great as when a blu-ray, prepared from a 4K scan, gets released first, with a 4K UHD from the same scan being announced from the same company, a year or two later!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
It would help if more companies could give us more "tips" on what to expect this year. Everybody keeps things close to their vests these days.

--jthree

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Split Image (Kino Lorber)
Phase IV (Vinegar Syndrome)
Meet John Doe (Classic Flix)
All That Money Can Buy (Criterion)
The Abyss (Disney/Fox)
True Lies (Disney/Fox)
Bwana Devil (3D) (Kino Lorber)
The Glass Web (3D) (Kino Lorber)
Bluebeard (1944) (Kino Lorber)
Back from the Dead (Kino Lorber)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
All that Money Can Buy aka Devil and Daniel Webster. I've waited for that since early in the blu ray era

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
1.BLUEBEARD(1944)
2. RED PLANET MARS(1952)
3. BWANA DEVIL(1952)
4. HAS ANYBODY SEEN MY GAL?(1952)
5. THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER(1937)
6. FILM NOIR: THE DARK SIDE OF CINEMA VOL XVI
containing
THE MYSTERY OF MARIE ROGET(1942)
CHICAGO DEADLINE(1949)
and IRON MAN(1951)
7. BACK FROM THE DEAD(1957)
8, STARTING OVER(1979)

Last edited:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Looking For Mr. Goodbar *
Little Darlings*
Horrible Dr. Hitchcock
Phase IV
Paint Your Wagon
Conan The Barbarian/Destroyer
Inside The Mind Of Coffin Joe

*strongly rumored, with pre-order beginning possibly this week

It's unfortunate that the SAG strike prevented Vinegar Syndrome from engaging any of the crew/talent for extras, particularly since this is a long-MIA and much requested release. If I were them, I would've delayed the release until after the strikes to give them time to film interviews. I think enough people would've appreciated that. Personally, I'd never heard of the film until a few months ago. After looking at the trailer it's now tops on my list of must-buy discs.

Phase IV was one of those great "left field" announcements by VS. I hope they pick up more former Olive Films titles. That was one sorry label.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks