What's new

What's On Your Mind? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Nobody won last night’s Mega Millions, so it will be about a billion dollar jackpot for Friday’s drawing. I play the same group of numbers for every MM drawing- on just one chance. I do occasionally buy a $5 scratcher- that’s my limit of purchase- I don’t do any of the $20 games. I did win $20 on my last scratcher- hooray! 😁

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My excuse for not playing the Lottery more often is I didn't have any newsstands or bodegas within walking distance who sold tickets but now the State Lottery Commission (in NY) created an app where people can bet online or via their phone. I've never signed up because I still think playing Lottery, like gambling, is a waste of money but it's cool that an app exists.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw that the Kentucky Wildcats lost in their first tournament game yesterday- got beat by a 14 seed. Calipari’s teams have gotten past the first round just once in the last 4 years. I haven’t been following this stuff the way I used to- has NIL, in some way, adversely affected his recruiting? Would be a shame, if he has stopped caring, due to his contract.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was in a Macy's earlier this year looking at coats. I swear these fancy stores, the majority of them really, have something against big people. Most sizes stop at Medium. They're neglecting a big portion of the population and leaving money on the table.
As a tall person (6'5"), I gave up on shopping in stores decades ago. Some stores occasionally carried big and tall sizes, such as JCP. Most don't, so I was ordering clothes out of catalogs long before there was an internet. I miss the Eddie Bauer stores that carried tall sizes. I now order most of my clothes from Land's End. All I get from regular stores are my boxer briefs. I even have to order my undershirts to get tall sizes. I used to hate it when someone would buy me a shirt for a gift and I'd have to donate it to Goodwill unworn because the shirt body and sleeves were too short (I wear 37" sleeves).

Another thing I find annoying about buying clothes is that some retailers conflate big and not tall with big and tall. If I am looking at a "big and tall" section online, and the only size pants are like 44" waist x 32" length, that is simply "big" and has nothing to do with "tall".

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just discovered this morning that the packaging for my now favorite nibbling snack while driving (Blue Diamond almonds) has shrunk from 16 ounces to 14. Crazy inflation. 🙁

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Some companies are apparently proud of their shrink-flation. I've seen commercials from Pillsbury lately touting that their ready-to-bake refrigerated biscuits now come in a 5-pack, rather than 6. Better suited for a dinner for two, is the point of the commercial I think. Don't want a bunch of extra biscuits around.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Some companies are apparently proud of their shrink-flation. I've seen commercials from Pillsbury lately touting that their ready-to-bake refrigerated biscuits now come in a 5-pack, rather than 6. Better suited for a dinner for two, is the point of the commercial I think. Don't want a bunch of extra biscuits around.
Well 6 seems a better count for two people = 3 a piece?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I'm waiting for shrink-flation to finally even out packages of hot dogs and hot dog rolls.

Of course, it'd probably shrink both equitably so that there are fewer in the packages and still not the same number.

The most amusing incidence of shrink-flation that I've come across is with a brand of frozen meatballs that we get for when we have pasta for dinner. For the meatball count, the bags used to say "around 20" (seriously!). Most of the time, there would be exactly 20 in the bag, and occasionally, there'd be only 19. In at least one case, there were 21.

Anyway, nowadays, the bags now say "18", with no qualifier. So far, they've all had exactly 18. At least now the content is predictable.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm waiting for shrink-flation to finally even out packages of hot dogs and hot dog rolls.

Of course, it'd probably shrink both equitably so that there are fewer in the packages and still not the same number.

The most amusing incidence of shrink-flation that I've come across is with a brand of frozen meatballs that we get for when we have pasta for dinner. For the meatball count, the bags used to say "around 20" (seriously!). Most of the time, there would be exactly 20 in the bag, and occasionally, there'd be only 19. In at least one case, there were 21.

Anyway, nowadays, the bags now say "18", with no qualifier. So far, they've all had exactly 18. At least now the content is predictable.
I wish I could remember the film where one character is ranting about the mismatch in quantity between hot dogs, and rolls. Funny stuff. Might have been Steve Martin, in the remake of Father Of The Bride, come to think of it.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So sad what happened in the Baltimore area this morning (a freight ship hit the Francis Scott Key Bridge, causing the structure to collapse). RIP, innocent victims.
A tradgic as it is, it could have been so much worse had it had happened at rush hour, right?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A tradgic as it is, it could have been so much worse had it had happened at rush hour, right?
The only silver lining is this didn’t happen at a high traffic volume period. Early reports are, of course, still sketchy, but it seems the ship lost propulsion, and a Mayday call was made not long before the collision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks