What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Did you just start watching football in the last few years? As Scott pointed out the Raiders were in the Super Bowl in 2002. It looks bad right now but they will turn it around again.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Arizona (of course, then Chicago) Cardinals, 1947 NFL Champs! Believe it! Of course, since then the high water mark was the lone playoff victory over the Cowboys in '98. That team was immediately dismantled (we just can't stand success here, don't you know), and it's been sub .500 teams ever since. And of course, we're in the market for a head coach, again. The only thing different this time is that we're not the worst job available due to Al Davis, and that there's actually some talent here to work with. But given the Bidwill's penchant for choosing the wrong man for the job, like clockwork, we'll be back in this same spot in another 3 years.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We don't know the whole situation with Allen so we don't know if it was disgusting or not. To be honest I call that the right thing to do if Allen was in the wrong. I don't think we'll ever know.

As I said comparing the Lions to the Raiders is a horrible stretch and undeserved. The Raiders have been to the Superbowl in recent memory and won atleast one during my short 31 year lifetime. They might have won more but I'm too lazy to look :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Except for the fact that death of an owner may be the only way for these teams to get better. I'm saying that the fans of these teams are wishing death for the owner, but it is scary when you really think about it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It can certainly be argued whether Al Davis is still capable of returning the Raiders to their former glory. Based on his decisions the past 3-4 years, I wouldn't have any confidence that he can. However, he has been in control of the team since its AFL days in the '60's, so he is the man responsible for all the franchise's past success, too.

Meanwhile, Ford and Bidwell have only long term ineptness to leave as their legacies. I wasn't that familiar with Bidwell's history with the Cardinals, so I had to look it up. He became sole owner in 1972, and previously owned the team with his brother since 1962 (when their mother passed away). The Bidwell family has owned the franchise since 1933.

So, the Bidwells have an even longer period of clueless franchise management than Ford! The only saving grace is that they've spread their misery across three cities (Chicago, St. Louis and Phoenix), while Ford has inflicted his incompetence-based suffering on a single fan base in Detroit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,
Ask the fans of these teams and I'll bet they would love to have the Rooneys as their owner:
Teams that have never won a Super Bowl:

* Buffalo Bills
* Cincinnati Bengals
* Cleveland Browns
* Houston Texans
* Indianapolis Colts
* Jacksonville Jaguars
* Tennessee Titans
* San Diego Chargers
* Philadelphia Eagles
* Detroit Lions
* Minnesota Vikings
* Atlanta Falcons
* Carolina Panthers
* New Orleans Saints
* Arizona Cardinals
* Seattle Seahawks

Back to Al Davis,
I think he can return his team to it's former glory. The problem is I think he is too impatient right now. He has made some poor decisions as of late. I'm surprised that Daniel Snyder has been as patient as he has with Joe Gibbs but I think he fears the backlash if he runs Gibbs out of town.

Todd Henry

Second Unit

The first 40 years, however, are a different story. They were the same class as the Lions and Cardinals are now.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Marcus was and is not a TO type. Even if he was poisoning the waters for the Raiders, is the solution suiting him up for games and keeping him on the bench?

Philly suspended TO and then traded or released TO and gave him a chance to pursue his career elsewhere. They got him out of there. You don't bench a premier player because he's a bad influence on the team, you get him away from your team. Davis cut of his team's nose to spite his face, if I may paraphrase.

If you assume the Marcus was in the wrong, why keep him around? Was there a salary cap advantage? Did they even have one then. I remember watching many a Raider game with the announcers wondering why he wasn't playing and I don't remember any good reason given.

On the to SB. Is there a single significant predictor at the beginning of the playoffs to pick the eventual winner? Say the top seeds in each conference? Historically, is there something to key on?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I can't wait to see who replaces him in 3 years. Reportedly, the Cardinals offered or wanted to offer the job to Mike Sherman former Green Bay head coach. However, he apparently wanted 4 million dollars to which I ask what on his resume deserves that? and there's no way that Arizona ownership was using the jaws of life to pry the wallet open that wide.

It looks like USC offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian is the leader in the clubhouse for the Raiders job. There are things about this that I like and things I don't but I'll spare myself the typing until/if he's hired.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Names being floated around for Dallas:

Cowher(not happening)
Jeff Fisher(not happening)
Jimmy Johnson(suggested by ESPN but it's a logical choice..)

Wade Phillips - D-Coordinator for SD
Mike Sherman
Mike Martz
D-Coordinator for the Bears(good choice)
Norv Turner - not a good choice

College names thrown around:
Bob Stoops - rumored ot have an open checkbook to Bob but unlikely
Pete Caroll - Doubt it.

and personally I'd suggest Charlie Weis. Why not? The fit seems rather logical if he wants to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks