What's new

Zu Warriors??? (1 Viewer)

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the trailers for this movie. Man itlooks awesome. It seems like crouching dragon meets mortal kombat. In case you haven't, you can see it on "The Others" DVD under sneek peaks. I was blown away when I first saw it. Does anyone know whe it is coming to theaters?
Thanks
Najib
my other "hobby"
www.roninonline.com

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is going direct to video. Miramax has cut the movie by 20 minutes and dubbed it in English. The best bet is to get it from dddhouse.com. This is a remake so if you order it you may want to make sure you are getting the newer one.
Here are some details of the changes.
Link Removed
Matt

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Just be sure to get Legend of Zu which is the new one and not Zu: Warriors From the Magic Mountain which is the old one.
Legend has some phenomenal special effects but the story and plot are somewhat confusing and not as strong as they could be. Still, I enjoy it for the FX-romp that it is.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I've heard that the movie is HORRIBLE and gives most people a headache, it's a lot of over the top CGI. It IS however back in stores as I recieved an email from hong kong re: it.

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
So it is not coming to theaters at all? And its really no good? has anyone seen it?

Thanks

NAjib

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that the movie is HORRIBLE and gives most people a headache, it's a lot of over the top CGI.
I liked it. The original release is most definitely not horrible - the re-edited Miramax version may be.

It's not "Crouching Tiger", but it doesn't try to be. It's fun, action filled film with over the top effects & plot. And it generally works.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I think if you go into Legend with the understanding that it's a light fantasy romp, I think it's a fun movie. It is far from perfect but the effects for the most part are top-rate and the action sequences are very nice.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
The chinese language version can be purchase almost anywhere. I got mine for $20 at a local asian video store.

The CGI is so over the top that I got tired after 30min. The story is confusing and that's coming from someone who understand Chinese. I have no idea how the English translated version will be.

Just expect to get 1.5 hours of CGI fighting, flying and that's it...a demostration of what HK can do these days. Don't expect any Jet Li or Crouching Tiger type of fighting.

I say it's worth one viewing either by rental or by a cheap ticket price.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Luc,

Local merchants are not supposed to sell it because Disney/Miramax has domestic distribution rights. That's why all of the domestic e-tailers show it as having gone permanently out of stock.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like they raid Chinatown for the hundreds of bootlegs of their 200million dollar grossing films. Do you really think they'll raid for some little film that will make them a million or 2 in rental sales?

Sending C&D letters to etailers cost them a few hundred in legal fees

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Jeff,

I wasn't suggesting they would only that if you don't live in an area with a good Asian quarter, you probably won't find it because most stores probably won't carry it. I'd bet most stores will simply wait for the Disney version if they stock any version at all.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, the one I got is a legal import. Don't forget that this movie is old along with Iron Monkey which I bought years before it came on the big screen here. The US are just taking old Hong Kong films and translate them and call it a new movie. I always laugh at such movie as Drunken Master, Iron Monkey and Zu which all has been part of my collection.

Of course if you want the translated version from Disney, you have to wait but if you want a DVD or VCD of the original it's everywhere and legal. I repeat, it's not a boot and I have even seen it in US retailers.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes I know

What I'm saying is that Disney is not going to spend millions sending and enforcing C&D orders to hundreds or thousands of Chinatown/Comic/etc shops that carry these discs

If they won't protect their HUGE movies from the bootlegs carried in many Chinatown shops, do you really think they're going to protect the little ones?

Since most HK fans buy their discs from etailers (to avoid getting jakked, most comic shops/stores I've seen apply about a 200% markup to HK DVDs) they struck a quick and easy blow for "their side"

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, I know. I have both. When a movie has been released on DVD, and they show it here in theaters, I consider that old :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks