What's new

Zu Warriors (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
According to monkeypeaches.com and upcomingmovies.com: (as of May 19, 2002)
Here's a Link Removed.
edit: Coming Soon! Film Database also lists it as a TBA 2002/2003 Video [probably meaning DVD] release.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Yeah, that does look like a pretty sweet movie. Too bad we're getting the cut version...and only on video no less. :angry:

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
There's another thread about this film somewhere. You can buy the uncut version from Hong Kong. DDDHouse has it for $10.32. Here's the link.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
It's not only bad that Disney is editing and cutting previously made movies, they are already planning different releases for the US for Michelle Yeoh's upcoming movie. The upcoming movie, HERO is also going to be changed. Once again, the excellent site, http://www.monkeypeaches.com/, comes through.
The easiest way to purchase Hong Kong films on DVD?
Simply avoid anything released by Buena Vista, Miramax, and Dimension.
Don't even pre-order ones that say they have the original soundtrack because they lie. CITY ON FIRE was advertised as having the original soundtrack and it didn't. THE MASTER with Jet Li is listed as having the original soundtrack but it won't. The KILLER will be the r-rated version and will almost definitely be missing the ORIGINAL cantonese audio. The same with HARD BOILED.
Let that sink in. The only potentially anamorphic versions of HARD BOILED and THE KILLER on DVD in region 1 may be cut and dubbed in English. I want to be wrong about this. In fact, I hope I am wrong so bad, that if Buena Vista releases THE KILLER and HARD BOILED uncut (Woo's approved version available previously by Criterion and Winstar) with the original soundtracks, I will voluntarily remove myself from this forum.
HEROIC TRIO is also on the chopping block, by the way.
Matt
http://www.hkfilm.net/disney/index.html

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy the Miramax/BV/Disney discs when the Hong Kong ones (especially for newer movies like Zu, Shaolin Soccer, etc) are uncut (or have added footage), look and sound great, have English subs (though the quality is usually sub-par), and can be had for ten bucks or so a pop.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
We're a bit better served in the UK for Eastern releases with the UK company Hong Kong Legends, who are excellent, and try to provide the best/longest cut possible in a decent quality print and usually with extras and good subtitles. If any Americans reading this are really into martial arts movies, then I'd strongly recommend you consider buying a R2/PAL setup, because the Hong Kong Legends DVDs are easily the best in the genre. Their link is here
However, HKL are a relatively small company and with the best will in the world can't do everything, so buying from Hong Kong is the next best option (I've used DDD House several times and been very pleased with their service). Be warned that there are usually no or few extras on HK DVDs, and has already been said, the subtitles aren't always brilliant. Having said that, it can sometimes add to the charm. Plus, the DVDs are v. cheap, so there's no real cause for complaint.
Incidentally, I'd recommend Jackie Chan's the Accidental Spy, which is well up to his usual standard.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Is it too much to hope that the companies (not including the Disney subsidiaries) that are evidently presenting the films the right way have or will showcase them in anamorphic?

I bought Universe's 'New Legend of Shaolin' last month. Although I enjoyed the film, it isn't anamorphic. Is the future of Hong Kong discs condemned to be non-anamorphic?

edit: spelling

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Andrew -
I don't know about Universe, but Mei Ah is revisiting some of their early releases and making them anamorphic. They won't say which ones yet but they are promising that these will be some big titles.

Matt

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Many older HK releases are non-anamorphic, but more and more titles are being done anamorphic.
Hong Kong Legends RULE! I wish they could get their hands on Drunken Master 2 and Fist of Legend :frowning:
HKL does on a very tiny budget what Disney COULD be doing. If Disney had a brain in their head they'd just hire HKL to master their discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks