Zu Warriors - R1 "Original HK Version" Cut + Altered!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Krispow, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

As some of you are likely aware, this past Tuesday (March 7), Miramax released their DVD of ZU WARRIORS... which was originally titled THE LEGEND OF ZU in Hong Kong.

The DVD contains two versions of the film:
    • 80m Exclusive English Dubbed Version -- Cut U.S. Version
    • 104m Original Hong Kong Extended Version -- Original Chinese Version
    Unfortunately, contrary to their claims on the packaging, the supposed "Original Chinese Version" absolutely isn't -- it has been both cut and altered by Miramax. As such, this can hardly been called the original version of the film as it appeared either in Hong Kong theatres or the outstanding HK Chinastar DVD edition (which has a terrific DTS track!).

As I mentioned, the HK Chinastar DVD is fantastic, with one minor exception -- there are several sequences which were accidentally left unsubtitled (in English) on that DVD. Therefore, I picked up ZU WARRIORS so I could findly know what was being said during these sections. Plus I also wanted to show my support for providing the full-length original cuts + language versions of HK films.

Big mistake, as I noticed within minutes of watching this DVD.

Here are all the changes that I noticed. This also includes the time code for this new R1 DVD where the missing footage should be located, and where the new additions are.

CUTS -- A total of 1:38 of footage has been cut from this supposed uncut version, as follows:

@ 2:35 — ORIGINAL OPENING CREDITS (length - 1:32)
    • Yes indeed, the original HK opening credits have been removed in their entirety. There was absolutely no logical reason for Miramax to do this, as all the credits were in English and Chinese. For those who've never seen these credits, they're really cool to watch -- As the camera flies forward through a colorful, multi-hued, cloud-filled sky, red credits zoom and spin onto the screen. Beautiful. I can only surmise that because the film was titled "The Legend of ZU" in these credits, Miramax pulled it because it didn't say "Zu Warriors."
    @ 6:22 — INSERT SHOT (length - 0:06)
    • Cut is this short insert shot which sets up the time period for the rest of the film. The shot itself features the mountains, the moon in the night sky, and the tree where King Sky had been sleeping over the centuries, and on-screen text stating "TWO HUNDRED YEARS LATER." Why was this cut? Your guess is as good as mine.

ADDITIONS:

@ 2:36 — NEW ON-SCREEN TEXT
    • On-screen text stating "The outpost of KUNLUN" now appears over the shot in large white letters. This did not appear in the original HK version of the film.
    @ 29:46 — NEW ON-SCREEN TEXT
    • On-screen text stating "The holy mountain of FIVE PEAKS" now appears over the shot in large white letters. This did not appear in the original HK version of the film.
    @ 98:13 - 99:50 — NEW "OPENING" CREDITS... AT THE END OF THE FILM!?!?
    • As stated earlier, Miramax chopped out the original HK opening credits in their entirety. What they did instead was create new "opening" credits and placed them at the very end of the film... right before the real HK closing credits! Instead of the super-colorful cool original HK credits, these are simply white text over a black background, and copy the opening credit text in full with one exception... instead of writing "The Legend of ZU," Miramax has indeed replaced it with "Zu Warriors."

And that's basically that.

I don't know about you folks, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no way Miramax can state that this is the "original Hong Kong version" of the film when they've done all this.

Buyer beware!

2. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

It's nice to know. I will my DVD Review soon with this new info. Thanks for the info, Jeff.

3. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Sounds like much ado about nothing, to me. Especially since the other version is missing subtitles.

4. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

this was a miramax release right? i wonder if weinsteinco will continue these practices. it's a shame you can't get drunken master II or fist of legend on dvd in this country uncut with the original soundtrack. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Last I heard you couldn't get Drunken Master II uncut on DVD in ANY country.

6. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

What? Goofing on subtitles is one thing. Deliberately cutting a movie and marketing it as "uncut" and "original" is fraud.

7. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

Fraud? Yes. But it is not the normal cut and slash job. Not by a long shot.

8. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

SOP for Miramax. [​IMG]