What's new

You're the US President : what edicts would you enact to studios on dvd releases? (1 Viewer)

Ben__Tyler

Auditioning
You're in the hypothetical position of being George W.
What edicts would you enact towards the studios on their
current and future dvd releases and their general dvd policies, that you reckon they're currently too apathetic and arrogant about.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Well, if I was W, I would wonder where my box set of Heckyll and Jeckyll is, and whether or not the Charlie's Angels TV series is in anamorphic. But if I were a real president, I wouldn't assume the federal government has any responsibility toward copy-protection issues. If studios want to employ macrovision, let them do so. If not, let them risk their content being pirated.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Pass a law forbiding a studio to do censorship and on DVD.
Gee...I wonder which studio could I be talking about? :D *COUGH*Disney*COUGH*
Oh yeah, I'd have a law having studios to spend a certain amount of money per year restoring films. I'd also have a national film restoration organization.

DanaA

Screenwriter
What I'd do is establish a publically funded, government sponsored program, like PBS, with the intent of issuing DVDs of cinematic importance that have not yet been issued on DVD. It's a shame that movies like African Queen, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the Marx Brothers, Greta Garbo, so many silents, etc. are not yet released. "I hereby order it done. This is an outrage to the viewing public!!!"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'd order TV shows whose first seasons come out on DVD to have all subsequent seasons come out on DVD. This means you, Columbia.

I'd also try to encourage more film restoration; perhaps tax credits for studios who actively try to restore their film libraries.

Of course, right now this country has more pressing issues at hand.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
1. Every DVD must present the movie in ONLY its original aspect ratio, and widescreen films must be anamorphic.
2. At the bare minimum, every DVD must contain all of the film's promotional materials, including trailers and TV spots, as well as production notes and cast and crew bios. Further extras are strongly suggested but not required.
3. Snapper cases are no longer allowed. Slipcases and other speciality packaging are allowed, but studios must also release DVD's with speciality packaging in keepcases as well.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Good, so you both agree that films should only be shown in their "original aspect rations," to quote myself. Don't look now, I changed it in the original post.:b

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I would include everything said above plus create more jobs so people like me could afford to buy more dvds and then could post more messages on this forum. :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've been avoiding this thread because I find it nigh on impossible to avoid saying something political. But with blood gushing out of my mouth (from biting down too hard on my tongue), I will say that if I were dictator (a president couldn't get anything passed with the current congress), my platform would be:
1) Divert money from just one pork barrel military weapon to fully fund restoration of all classics, beginning with It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.
2) If the studios want to maintain ownership of said films, they have to pay for the restoration. If not, I'd pay them a small fee and use my dictatorial powers to give ownership to the government.
3) I'd pass a law banning any further desecration of films. No edited versions and no pan & scan. OAR and original or extended versions only (with original mandatory).
4) Dick Sharp and other enemies of the state would be tried for treason, and incarcerated with nothing but a large pile of divx discs and a divx machine (of course with no account :)).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks