What's new

Your thoughts on VHS->DVD conversion (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I have a number of VHS tapes (cartoons, TV shows, etc.) that I want to convert to DVD.

Obviously MPEG-2 would be the best choice since it's DVD -- or would it?

Considering that VHS resolution, based on numerous sites on the Internet that I've seen, is around 320x240, which just happens to be the same resolution as MPEG-1, what is the benefit of MPEG-2 in this case? There will obviously be no resolution increase, so it seems to be a waste of DVD-R space when a very-high MPEG-1 datastream can provide about twice as much video time as a low-bitrate MPEG-2 DVD.

Capturing would be through an AV->DV bridge, so the capture would still be 720x480, but it would be a 720x480 capture of a 320x240 signal.

Again, this is more a philosophical question more than anything else, now that the cost of DVD-Rs is hovering at $1 or below, but I'd still like to hear others' views on this.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
How many hours did you get out of a DVD-R using VBR? I always use CBR because I make each cartoon a chapter and DVDit PE is reported to have chapter location problems with VBR files. I don't know if that's been fixed in the 2.5.2 or 2.5.4 releases.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
352x480 MPEG2 is the way to go, if your software is up to the task. You may have to capture at 720x480 and then downconvert it.

The MPEG encoder included with Adobe Premiere 6.5 has no problem with 352x480, although it is not one of the default presets. I don't know if Sonic DVDit can handle it, but I use Sonic Scenarist and I know Scenarist will work with it. (After figuring out how Scenarist works, I wouldn't go back to DVDit for even the most simple project.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks