What's new

Your thoughts on the JBL PB12 ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm loosing sleep on trying to find a decent sub for under $300. I was wondering if anyone liked this unit ?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Try a search, there have been discussions on that one. Don't lose sleep over subwoofers.
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on July 16, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have it. I like it. It rattles the windows. It sounds good with music and movies. If you can get one for less than $300, you should be happy.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I got it around Thanksgiving last year. No problems with the sub. I know that some JBL subs had a bad amplifier (the PW series, I believe) but my PB12 has been solid. I am in the process of moving into an apartment with hardwood floors with neighbor above, below, and next to me. We'll see how they handle the PB12. I may have to put a slate slab under the sub to tighten the soound and (maybe) prevent some complaints.
-Chris

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have one of the older JBL subs, the PSW D112. Bought the first one about 3 years ago and "little fingers" turning dials ended up blowing it when we turned the system on one day.... Its replacement, one of the newer JBL PSW D112 has performed very well since then. They pound, and are pretty tight when fed from an lfe signal. Otherwise, mess with the x-over.
We've just set up my cousins system with a JBL PB12 and it surprised me how good it was right out of the box. After breakin, it should be even better. Yes you could only be happier with two of them.
I am upgrading to a SVS but the PSW has certainly proven its worth.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Alright, I'm guilty. I have two PSWD112s in the front corners (LFE connected)and two of the PB12's baby brothers the PB10s in the rear wired on each side of the room as surround subs. The PB10s are really great so I'd imagine the PB12 would only be better.
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

anthony_b

Screenwriter
There is a $100 dollar diference between the pb10 and the pb12. Is the pb12 worth the extra $100. My room is 14x14 and my towers go pretty low already.

FWIW, I have the PB12, and an Onkyo TX-DS787. While setting the "subwoofer limit" on my Onkyo (using earplugs!) I found that I couldn't make the PB12 distort... not that it couldn't go loud enough, but my house was distorting first!

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Even though I have the two PB10s(150)watts each their no match for my two 250 watt PSWD112s. I would have gotten the PB12s instead of the PB10s but the PBs are my surround subs and I didn't need two 250 watt subs for my surrounds. I would go with the PB12s for the LFE channel though.
------------------
"What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Radden Home Theater

ace peterson

Second Unit
Anthony-
I bought a PB-12 about a month ago, and I'll say it is a great sub. I have had no problems with it at all. At audioreview.com people mention about the humming noise quite a bit. Mine does have a hum, but I have to put my ear on top of it while it is in standby mode to even hear it. So, it is no big deal.
I think you'll love it when you get it.
BTW, I got it at consumer-direct.com for $249, which was the cheapest I could find it at the time.
AP

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I really want to thank all of you for responding. I've heard it also and I think it's a great sub. I 'm afraid to by it online just in case It sounds differently in my home. I could get it @ jandr.com for $299 shipped and I could return it there if I could. (that helps). Again thank you very much, now I'm convinced that it's the way to go !!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks