New Receiver....Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tom Reed, May 31, 2003.

1. Tom Reed

Tom Reed Agent

I am looking for a new receiver for my apartment at school. I found the Sherwood RD-6108 for $79.99 and I was wondering if this would be a good receiver for watching DVDs on my XBOX, playing XBOX, and listening to music for parties. I would be using it with 4 B&W DM302 and center and a JBL PB12 subwoofer. What do you guys think of this receiver and if there are any other inexpensive but good receivers out what are they.

Tom Reed

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Tom,

Do a search on "6108" and you will see that the Sherwood 6108 is highly regarded as an inexpensive HT receiver. I have seen and heard it (at Circuit City), and it's great even at twice its current price at Fry's.

4. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

I once owned the Sherwood RD-6108. It worked get with my PS2 & XBOX. I needed more hookups so I went with HK.

5. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else?

I was also thinking about this receiver... how is the sound quality for music? (CD/MP3)

Puts out decent, clean power?

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

There was a recent test of the Sherwood 7108 in Sound and Vision. According to what I read here, the 6108 and the 7108 share pretty much everything. The difference being that the 7108 is a 6.1 receiver. Sound and Vision likes the 2 channel performance of the 7108, for what it's worth.