What's new

Your thoughts - InFocus 5000 (1 Viewer)

M

MarkBoz

Right now I have an InFocus SP4800, and I'm thinking of trading up to an SP5000, mainly because I really want the full 1280x720. I know some basic stuff about the DLP vs. LCD issue, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the 5000, especially if you have first-hand experience. Thanks!

Mark,

I currently own the SP5000. It is my first projector and the only one I have ever seen. I had no local dealers to go and see the different technologies. After doing a ton of research I did not want to take a chance with RBE on the DLP. I have a large part of the basement set up as a make shift home theater so I was hoping that SDE would not be a problem and for the most part it is a non issue. Of course if you get to close or concentrate long enough on very bright white scenes it can be visible but only if you are looking for it. I had 23 guests over for the super bowl and everyone (including the women) was completely blown away by the PQ. There was people sitting as close as 5ft away from the ~96" screen (behr Silver screen paint)and no one said a word about SDE. I am using Cablevision's SA8000? HD convertor box via component and the picture looks fantastic to me. unfortunately the only thing I can compare it to is my Mits 65" RPTV and I would pick watching HDTV on the 5000 over the Mits any day. If you do a search over at the avsforum you will find that most people that have the 5000 love it but there are a lot of people who say the Panny 700 is better. They have a smooth screen technology that is supposed to reduce the SDE. I probably would have gone for that model but the price difference (SP5000 was almost $600 less) and warranty (2 years instead of 1) made it an easy choice for me. To get back to your question I can't see how it would not be a huge improvement over the 4800. IF you have the option you should try to find a place that will do a demo.

Howard

M

MarkBoz

Cool, Howard, thanks for the reply. I will check out the avsforum.

As for the 4800, it's only 800x600, and cropped to 800x450 at the 16:9 ratio. Since I'm working on a series for History Channel that's HD at 1280x720, it would be great to be able to actually see it in full rez at home, instead of nearly half the resolution.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I believe the reviews on that subject are mixed. If you search here in the forum you should find quite a few opinions on it. It's twice the price, and I don't know if it really offers a substantial improvement over the 4805. You may need to see both in action.

M

MarkBoz

I searched and I didn't find anything which is why I started a thread about it. Maybe I'm searching wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks