What's new

sp4805 vs sp5000 (1 Viewer)

Matt-Z

Stunt Coordinator
The DLP Infocus SP4805 and the LCD Infocus SP5000. Okay, so if you had your choice of the two; what would you do? I am finding the price difference to be personally achievable, and am wondering if it's worth it. I won't be dealing with any HD sources so I'm not sure that I'll be benefitting at all from the upgrade (if it is indeed an upgrade). I've spent SO much time on the sideline; ever since the X1! I finally stopped having kids (2), and actually have a little bit of "me" money to enjoy. I've gotten so worked up over the 4805 and DLP that I never really considered LCD or anything else. SDE isn't really an issue with me in that I can see it but don't really mind. I guess my question is this: If they were giving them away for free, which would you choose? I don't think I've ever seen an LCD in action so how does it compare? I've poked around a little bit and found snippits of evidence that the 5000 is "a little better" but I'd like to ask for maybe a couple of more detailed responses. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
P.S. I just got the green light on this from the Big Cheese, and am anxious to make my dreams come true. Even if it seems like old news I'd REALLY appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks again,
Matt

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You're comparing 2 totally different projectors, a 480p DLP and a 720p LCD. Since HD is not being used, I would get the 4805. It is a super popular, quality projector.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Is your room a dedicated theater? If not, I'd go SP5000 hands down. I like the SP5000 better in general. But even the SP4805 owner that came over to my house for the NFL Playoff games, is blown away by how good the projector is with the lights on in my living room.

I would not rule out the HD part either. HD DVD will come eventually you know. :)

Better hurry, the SP4805's are becomming harder to find, I am assuming the SP5000's will be soon to follow as a difficult item to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks