What's new

Your one, and ONLY ONE exclusion from the Rolling Stone 200 greatest singers list. (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, the list is HERE.

There are countless singers outside the fairly obvious more-or-less "Pop"ish area these singers are chosen from. Name one person, and only one, who you would add.

So, I'll stay within their apparent limitations, and choose...

Greg Lake.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've never even heard of a good 50% of the people on that list.

A single addition? Since you've already picked Greg Lake (excellent addition), I'll go with

Joe Walsh:

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some observations and then my selections. Interesting list. I don't disagree with most of the selections, but the rankings are a bit puzzling for some of the included artists. While looking it over, this qualifier from the list's introduction seems apt...

"In all cases, what mattered most to us was originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy"

In terms of absent artists I would have to go with Scott Weiland...

My personal choice of those in the list comes in at number 20...

Marvin Gaye

EDITED. I misunderstood the first post and have edited accordingly.

- Walter.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I clarified my question In the first post. I’m a little tired of negatives (who shouldn’t be on the list) so I prefer a positive.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Having a hard time perusing the list in Safari, it keeps jumping back up as I scrolled down but I couldn't find Jim Morrison on it. For me that's an omission I would correct.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me, Joey Ramone should be on there. Not because he had an amazing voice but if Bob Dylan is (rightfully) on there, it's more about what their singing brought to the music than having a good/traditional voice.

It was nice seeing Curtis Mayfield relatively high up on there though.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
A lot of great choices (I was especially pleased to see Ofra Haza on the list), and a lot of names I wasn't at all familiar with.

It's hard to pick just one that I think should be on the list. At the very least, I might've missed some names as I scrolled through. So...I've decided on one, but in the interests of chearing, will throw in another five, in descending order, behind a spoiler tag. All women, because I just love the female voice.

First choice: Donna Summer

Second: Eva Cassidy
Third: Annie Lennox
Fourth: Annie Haslam
Fifth: Jeannie Stahl

Here are some examples each of Jeannie Stahl and Eva Cassidy, as they are a bit more obscure.

Eva Cassidy

Jeannie Stahl

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Rankings aside I liked most of the list and was happy to see country represented fairly well. There were a few I questioned, (Carrie Underwood, Courtney Love), but the glaring omission for me is John Prine.

Also, Guy Clark should also be included, but you only asked for one.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I looked at the list on RS yesterday and they seemed to have got confused between great artists and great singers.
It states right in their article intro that being a great singer was not the only consideration.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see Glen Danzig on the list, but Courtney Love? Ick.

Was John Cougar Mellencamp on the list? If not, he needed to be.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm absolutely shocked there was no mention of Josh Groban. It also seems like the whole group of more classical performers in that vein were ignored.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm absolutely shocked there was no mention of Josh Groban. It also seems like the whole group of more classical performers in that vein were ignored.
I'm guessing few of their voters have ever even heard of singers like Kathleen Battle or Kiri Te Kanawa

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Eddie Trunk mentioned this list on his show yesterday, and said Ozzy Osbourne is ranked higher on the list than Ronnie James Dio. SMH.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I didn’t see Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson on the list (if they have Dio, and Judas Priest’s Rob Halford, they have to include Bruce).

A few more I would add-
Loreena McKennitt
Annie Haslam
Mary Fahl

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
A lot of great choices (I was especially pleased to see Ofra Haza on the list), and a lot of names I wasn't at all familiar with.

It's hard to pick just one that I think should be on the list. At the very least, I might've missed some names as I scrolled through. So...I've decided on one, but in the interests of chearing, will throw in another five, in descending order, behind a spoiler tag. All women, because I just love the female voice.

First choice: Donna Summer
Second Ofra, that was a pleasant surprise.
Donna is #122, no?

I'm surprised, and glad, to see Poly Styrene, but equally surprised John Lydon isn't there. No other punk singer had a more characteristic voice, IMHO.
And what about David Byrne? Or Peter Gabriel?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks