What's new

Young Doctors in Love! 12/7! Thanks, MGM! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As a big fan of spoof comedies (the uncrappy ones, anyway), I've been waiting for Young Doctors in Love to be released on DVD, and according to DVDFile, it's now scheduled for a Dec. 7th release.

I just hope the movie's as funny as I remember. It's been about 15 years since I've seen the thing. But I distinctly remember Michael Richards being typically hilarious, plus I haven't heard that awful "General Hospitale" rap song in a long time. Heh.

To those unfamiliar with the movie, it's an Airplane! style spoof of afternoon soap operas. (That's not to say that it's even half as good as Airplane!, but they're pitched at the same broad level.) Plus the cast alone should be enough to bring in a few new comedy fans: Michael McKean, Sean Young, Ted McGinley, Saul Rubinek, Harry Dean Stanton, Pamela Reed, Taylor Negron, Dabney Coleman, Michael Richards, Crystal Bernard, Ed Begley Jr., Hamilton Camp, Hector Elizondo...and cameos from the likes of Richard Dean Anderson, Monique Gabrielle, Susan Lucci and Demi Moore (this was back when she was a regular on General Hospital).

Plus it was the directorial debut of Garry Marshall, long before he became the sapmerchant responsible for Runaway Bride, The Princess Diaries and Raising Helen.

And the DVD promises to be widescreen, albeit non-anamorphic. I'd recommend this one as a rental for sure, and perhaps as a blind buy (on sale, of course) for those who enjoy broad, silly spoof material. :emoji_thumbsup:

Now all I need is Student Bodies. ;)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also excited by this announcement, and also wondering if it will be as funny as I remember it 15 years ago.

I just remember the scene of the midget trying to hang up a pay phone in the background of a scene while two others are having a conversation in the foreground.

But I wonder if it will have the deleted scenes that were added in for TV showings. I remember one of them had Christie Brinkley, that wasn't on the VHS version.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
"Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper...please call the diabetes ward immediately!"

:)

- Steve

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I still remember the surgery scene with the Pac Man "game over" sound when the patient flatlines:)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Wasn't there already an Anchor Bay issue of this title? Seeing how it's non-anamorphic widescreen, it sounds like this is an old master, and likely what they would have released back when they had the Disney license.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
"Well Sal, I've had lots of things done to the old wang, but Roto-Rooter ain't one of them."

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this one for a long time. I have a crummy old VHS that was really worn out the last time I tried it.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Michael McKean is hilarious in this movie as the doctor with no bedside manner.

"Doctor, I can't piss anymore."
"How old are you?"
"I'm 87 years old."
"You've pissed enough."

:)

I love this movie. Especially the scene where Sean Young is teaching the orphan children how to dance and they all have t-shirts that say things like "Underprivileged Child."

I also love the scene with Hector Elizondo as the gangster hiding out in drag and the love-struck doctor who has no idea he is a man (despite the moustache.):

"Do you have any hobbies?"
"I play the f---ing guitar."
"Is that a special kind of guitar, or just regular?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks