1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan - Paramount Network

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I'm glad I'm watching the show, but it's not exactly uplifting or inspiring.

I feel like this is the kind of show that I can enjoy while I'm in the middle of watching it, but one that won't last long in my mind once it's off the air. I look forward to it every week but I end up forgetting almost everything that happened in between; I really rely on the "previously on" segment at the beginning more than I usually do. This is the kind of show, for me, where if it takes a two year hiatus which now seems to be the cool thing to do, where I would lose interest in that time. I see that it's been renewed for a second season and I hope that second season happens at the same time next year.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You kidding me, it's a complete downer of a show without much hope or happiness.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Again, this isn't a show that makes you feel good after each episode. Two more episodes to go.

4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Man, what does Taylor Sheridan have against Kelsey Asbille? First he kills her in Wind River, now he gives her a nasty head injury in Yellowstone....

Inasmuch as one can describe watching this as "enjoyment," I am nonetheless glad that I am on this journey. The characters are rich and complex, and the plotting is different from what I'm used to seeing on modern television. I can't really relate to any of the people onscreen or their circumstances, but I'm nonetheless intrigued by the slow burn.

I appreciate that Sheridan doesn't appear to be putting his finger on the scale with regards to how we're supposed to feel about the different sides of the different conflicts. The people in Costner's group don't come off well, but neither do the tribal leaders on the Native American side. Endless greed and division, with no interest on either side for building an inclusive community that will stand for the future. I'm not really rooting for anyone, or hoping for a particular outcome. But I am enjoying the fine performances across the board, and getting to see a part of the country that I don't often get to see.

5. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Costner could have called his part in.

6. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Looks like they could be setting up an out for him if he hasn't signed up for Season 2 yet. That would be very Ned Stark of the show, of course.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Man, how many fathers in their senior years gets into fistfights with their soon to be 40 year old son?

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, the first season is over so onto the second season for the Duttons/Murder Inc.;)

9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I appreciate that they made a point of saying after the show ended that the next season was shooting now and will air in 2019.

Too many other networks would have waited until 2020 to come back.

10. Message #30 of 36 Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Really ambivalent about this. Loved the scenery and generally love westerns, but this was some pretty dumb stuff, a lot of bad acting, and nobody to give a damn about about (except Kasey's wife and now I guess we're supposed to root for Jaime). And the leave Costner an out if he didn't sign up for Season Two.

We're a long way from the benevolent Dances With Wolves here, and Costner is not a good enough actor to pull off the James Gandolfini feat of getting us to actually root for an anti-hero.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    A stripper joins the bunkhouse. Really? I get that this was once the Spike Channel but that's taking Man Show pandering to a whole new level.

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Finally caught up with the last two episodes of season one. The show is an exercise in excess. It seems like every situation is an excuse to ratchet up the tension or conflict. Cayce is just a trouble magnet. His wife gets clobbered in a school fight. He is pumping gas and a drifter puts a knife to his throat. Sure, why not? :)

Interesting that the two sons took turns in opposite directions at the conclusion of the season. Cayce has been the one character that felt three dimensional and I was pretty shocked when he decided to hang Jenkins (Danny Huston).

Like I said before, I don't dislike it and have sort of learned to accept its excess. Probably the biggest guilty pleasure show I've watched in some time. The landscape, some of the cinematography, and certain characters and moments have kept my attention. I enjoyed seeing the backstory on Rip and Dutton and appreciate Rip's loyalty, even though it does include quite a bit of nefarious activity.

Despite its excess there are moments when I think the show might have a brain in its head. The scene with the wolves tearing at the downed Grizzly felt like a metaphor for the forces attacking John Dutton. I thought that was well executed and underscored one of the major themes of season one.

I'll be back next season if Costner returns.

- Walter.

13. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Man, this is just not a good show, let alone a good western. The overall plot - gee, who's going to control the ranch, just eeks along with random 20 minute interludes of bronco-busting or other unrelated events that bring any narrative momentum to a complete stop. The throughline of worthless son Jaime (Wes Bentley) is so off-the-range ridiculous with him now murdering an investigative reporter (plus he's a horrible actor). The body count in this series is actually greater than The Sopranos, which with the anti-hero family patriarch and territorial conflicts it seems to aspire to, but Costner is no Gandolfini (who actually had an arc and a pulse), and last I checked, the murder rate in Wyoming was not greater than Chicago on a daily basis.

So we tune in for the scenery. But some angles beyond the ranch look like completely different locales and climates. Watching this show makes me long for the simplistic integrity and much better characters and storylines of that contemporary western Longmire. Let alone the majesty of the Shakespeare of all period westerns, Deadwood, which I just went through for the fourth time to probably clean my palate from this pale and poorly written and acted drivel.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I haven't even watched the second season as the more I thought about this series, the less I liked it and the characters in it.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I see it's piling up on my DVR but I haven't felt particularly inspired to watch it either.

16. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    No one remotely likeable, and almost cartoon like characters (especially the uberMEAN sister). Don't waste your valuable time that can be used on a good Noir, where we can actually care about essentially unlikeable characters because of good stories.