What's new

Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan - Paramount Network (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm glad I'm watching the show, but it's not exactly uplifting or inspiring.

I feel like this is the kind of show that I can enjoy while I'm in the middle of watching it, but one that won't last long in my mind once it's off the air. I look forward to it every week but I end up forgetting almost everything that happened in between; I really rely on the "previously on" segment at the beginning more than I usually do. This is the kind of show, for me, where if it takes a two year hiatus which now seems to be the cool thing to do, where I would lose interest in that time. I see that it's been renewed for a second season and I hope that second season happens at the same time next year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad I'm watching the show, but it's not exactly uplifting or inspiring.

I feel like this is the kind of show that I can enjoy while I'm in the middle of watching it, but one that won't last long in my mind once it's off the air. I look forward to it every week but I end up forgetting almost everything that happened in between; I really rely on the "previously on" segment at the beginning more than I usually do. This is the kind of show, for me, where if it takes a two year hiatus which now seems to be the cool thing to do, where I would lose interest in that time. I see that it's been renewed for a second season and I hope that second season happens at the same time next year.
You kidding me, it's a complete downer of a show without much hope or happiness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, what does Taylor Sheridan have against Kelsey Asbille? First he kills her in Wind River, now he gives her a nasty head injury in Yellowstone....

Inasmuch as one can describe watching this as "enjoyment," I am nonetheless glad that I am on this journey. The characters are rich and complex, and the plotting is different from what I'm used to seeing on modern television. I can't really relate to any of the people onscreen or their circumstances, but I'm nonetheless intrigued by the slow burn.

I appreciate that Sheridan doesn't appear to be putting his finger on the scale with regards to how we're supposed to feel about the different sides of the different conflicts. The people in Costner's group don't come off well, but neither do the tribal leaders on the Native American side. Endless greed and division, with no interest on either side for building an inclusive community that will stand for the future. I'm not really rooting for anyone, or hoping for a particular outcome. But I am enjoying the fine performances across the board, and getting to see a part of the country that I don't often get to see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, how many fathers in their senior years gets into fistfights with their soon to be 40 year old son?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I appreciate that they made a point of saying after the show ended that the next season was shooting now and will air in 2019.

Too many other networks would have waited until 2020 to come back.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Really ambivalent about this. Loved the scenery and generally love westerns, but this was some pretty dumb stuff, a lot of bad acting, and nobody to give a damn about about (except Kasey's wife and now I guess we're supposed to root for Jaime). And the leave Costner an out if he didn't sign up for Season Two.

We're a long way from the benevolent Dances With Wolves here, and Costner is not a good enough actor to pull off the James Gandolfini feat of getting us to actually root for an anti-hero.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up with the last two episodes of season one. The show is an exercise in excess. It seems like every situation is an excuse to ratchet up the tension or conflict. Cayce is just a trouble magnet. His wife gets clobbered in a school fight. He is pumping gas and a drifter puts a knife to his throat. Sure, why not? :)

Interesting that the two sons took turns in opposite directions at the conclusion of the season. Cayce has been the one character that felt three dimensional and I was pretty shocked when he decided to hang Jenkins (Danny Huston).

Like I said before, I don't dislike it and have sort of learned to accept its excess. Probably the biggest guilty pleasure show I've watched in some time. The landscape, some of the cinematography, and certain characters and moments have kept my attention. I enjoyed seeing the backstory on Rip and Dutton and appreciate Rip's loyalty, even though it does include quite a bit of nefarious activity.

Despite its excess there are moments when I think the show might have a brain in its head. The scene with the wolves tearing at the downed Grizzly felt like a metaphor for the forces attacking John Dutton. I thought that was well executed and underscored one of the major themes of season one.

I'll be back next season if Costner returns.

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Man, this is just not a good show, let alone a good western. The overall plot - gee, who's going to control the ranch, just eeks along with random 20 minute interludes of bronco-busting or other unrelated events that bring any narrative momentum to a complete stop. The throughline of worthless son Jaime (Wes Bentley) is so off-the-range ridiculous with him now murdering an investigative reporter (plus he's a horrible actor). The body count in this series is actually greater than The Sopranos, which with the anti-hero family patriarch and territorial conflicts it seems to aspire to, but Costner is no Gandolfini (who actually had an arc and a pulse), and last I checked, the murder rate in Wyoming was not greater than Chicago on a daily basis.

So we tune in for the scenery. But some angles beyond the ranch look like completely different locales and climates. Watching this show makes me long for the simplistic integrity and much better characters and storylines of that contemporary western Longmire. Let alone the majesty of the Shakespeare of all period westerns, Deadwood, which I just went through for the fourth time to probably clean my palate from this pale and poorly written and acted drivel.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I see it's piling up on my DVR but I haven't felt particularly inspired to watch it either.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I haven't even watched the second season as the more I thought about this series, the less I liked it and the characters in it.

No one remotely likeable, and almost cartoon like characters (especially the uberMEAN sister). Don't waste your valuable time that can be used on a good Noir, where we can actually care about essentially unlikeable characters because of good stories.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why I hadn't figured it out, but I was expecting Yellowstone's season 4 premiere to be available on Paramount+ tonight. Late this afternoon I finally realized that it was premiering on Paramount Network, NOT Paramount+. We haven't had cable TV for over 4 years, so I had to figure out the best way to sign up for a "cable TV" package of channels that included Paramount Network. I ultimately decided to sign up for Philo TV. Just $25/mo and 7-day free trial.

The season 4 premiere was INTENSE. Well, the first 15 minutes or so. Things were back on a slower pace soon enough. I enjoyed the first two episodes of season 4 (it was a 2-episode premiere) and I look forward to eventually seeing the rest of the season.

But OMG, So. Damn. Many. Commercials! To the point of being sickening. They even had the balls to claim the premiere would have limited commercial interruptions. Horse manure.

I'm not sure I can stomach so many commercials. I may have to wait until episodes 3-10 are available on either Paramount+ or Peacock.

Mark

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Reviewing my older comments in this thread, I am still pretty much of the same opinion. It is a frustrating show to watch in some ways, because there are some moments of genuine emotional resonance amongst all of the excess. Haven't watched the season four premiere, but it is safely ensconced on the DVR.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
S4E3 is taking us in an interesting direction with regard to the attack on the family at the end of season 3. I look forward to seeing how this all unfolds.

That said, this season seems to have brought us even more/longer shots of real-life professional horse riders/trainers strutting their stuff atop multi-million dollar horses. It's starting to get old.

Mark

mylan

Screenwriter
S4E3 is taking us in an interesting direction with regard to the attack on the family at the end of season 3. I look forward to seeing how this all unfolds.

That said, this season seems to have brought us even more/longer shots of real-life professional horse riders/trainers strutting their stuff atop multi-million dollar horses. It's starting to get old.

Mark
I agree about the pro riders and horses, yeah we get it, they can stop quickly and are worth a fortune and don't get me started on genuine cayman alligator seats, what now leather isn't good enough for a truck?!
I.M.O. all this is leading into the new four sixes (6666) show, where Jimmy fits in, etc. just like we got a scene with Tim McGraw earlier leading into the prequel show 1883, I just hope they don't oversaturate the franchise but you know they will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks