What's new

Tulsa King (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Quite surprised that no one here has started a thread on this series. Created by Taylor Sheridan (Yellowstone et al), starring Sylvester Stallone (doing some of his best work in years), alongside a strong supporting cast, including Dana Delaney, Garrett Hedlund, Andrea Savage, Martin Starr, Jay Mills, Annabella Sciorra, Michael Beach and Max Kasella. Available on Paramount+, the first 7 (out of 10) episodes have already aired. A very good show so far (and it's already been renewed for a second season).

The synopsis, courtesy of IMDB:

Following his release from prison, mafia capo Dwight "The General" Manfredi is exiled to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he builds a new criminal empire with a group of unlikely characters.

Anyone else here been watching this one?

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The wife and I realy liked it enough to binge watch it last week. Can't wait for the 2nd season to start airing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven’t seen it yet but I was planning on giving it a shot once the holiday season concludes and after I finish my backlog of review discs. Thanks for the positive review!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm interested as well. Too many other things to watch as well (my wife and I are currently in the midst of Kindred on Hulu). I also have to make some time for Sheridan's Mayor of Kingstown.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
it's the best work Stallone's done in ages.
Agreed. Watched to the end of available shows. Interesting characters, good script, multiple engaging plot/sub-plot lines, moves fast. Original concept & interesting content. Enjoyed it!

PS - great choices in background music. Which can significantly add to or detract from any scene.

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I finished the series today. Overall I enjoyed it and agree it was some of Stallone's best work. For a murderous mob capo, he was charming, mournful, wise, caring, tough, remorseful... It's hard to paint a bad guy as the sympathetic lead for the audience to root for, but Stallone pulled it off, and made it look easy.

But the last episode was a bit of a letdown for me. The big showdown was great, but how did they get away with it? And the very, very end felt more like an episode to episode cliffhanger than a season ending set up for next season cliffhanger.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Thinking more about this, I'm really starting to not like the last episode. They finished the main plot line a little too curtly, a big showdown and then cut to three months later, without showing any aftermath.

Bhodii's reveal last episode now feels contrived just as a means to get Waltrip. The investor was curious but then just accepted his role. Tina was worried and received another call after her husband's incident but we never learned who was calling her and nothing else happened. And I'm still not sure why Dana Delaney suddenly took an interest in Dwight or what her game is. (Though I suspect she probably wants her ex dead).

A lot of this will probably be unpacked in a second season, but I think they needed another episode or two this season. Only Tyson's character arc really had any closure, but there is still plenty of room for him to grow.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
We binge watched this Sunday as I brewed up a batch of Kolsch. I liked it a lot. Stallone did a great job and I grew to like the surrounding cast also. There was some good paced development throughout for multiple characters. Manfredi is at the age he can't change his habits and instinctively acts even when he knows it cause issues in the future. OTOH, I think he knows that sooner or later there would be issues with from NY eventually.

As for the season finale, it sure appears that on that bit of reservation land where the bar is, no-one is going to bother if it gets a bit rowdy, projectile weaponry-wise. Then again I didn't see how remote it was. So they can get away with the extracurricular activities and the cleanup. I think they cleaned up the biker gang angle fine with the death of the boss and his crew.

The most annoying thing was the bribe angle. What criminal in their right mind thinks there is any way to give $1M to a Federal LEO that won't show up eventually? Seriously? A pathetically weak plot point to setup the cliff hanger.

Glad to see it was renewed and looking forward to S2.

Really thankful it wasn't a Netflix property.

I have been satisfied with Stallone's acting the last 20 years, where the roles have a bit more depth reflecting his age vice youthful indestructable Rocky or Rambo. I still have to watch the superhero in hiding one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I Binge-watched TULSA KING last week and thoroughly loved it.

This was a really fun series despite an ending that seemed rushed.

Stallone was so f-ing cool in his role as "The General."

Looking forward to another season and hope one is forthcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks