What's new

Yellowstone - Taylor Sheridan - Paramount Network (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I mentioned this briefly over in the movies forum in the thread for Sicario: Day of the Soldado, but thought I'd start a dedicated thread for the series itself here.

Yellowstone is a new Western show created by Taylor Sheridan, who of course wrote both Sicario films, plus Hell or High Water (for which he received an Oscar nomination) and Wind River. I loved his first three films and can't wait to see Sicario's sequel, and am pretty much down for anything he writes at this point. So, Sheridan coming to TV is really exciting to me. He's written one of my favorite movies of the year every year since 2015, and now I'm interested to see what he will do with more long-form storytelling than movies allow. Plus, Kevin Costner is starring in the show.

Here's the trailer:

The show starts next week on Wednesday, June 20 at 9/8c on Paramount Network, which is the new-ish name for the channel previously known as Spike TV. I've never watched anything on there before, but it's a basic (non-premium) cable channel, so if you have cable or satellite TV, chances are you probably have it. I looked and found it to set my DVR with no problem and am looking forward to watching it next week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Actually, according to Deadline, it's a 10-episode order for the first season:

https://deadline.com/2017/05/paramo...ries-taylor-sheridan-weinstein-co-1202082335/

I've not head anything about them being more than an hour long each. However, it looks like they're repeating the episode on Wednesday immediately after the initial airing, so it might look like a two-hour slot, but it's actually one episode airing twice.

And yes, despite airing on Paramount Network, TWC was the studio on it when it was first ordered. I'm pretty sure that the network has taken over footing the bill in the light of that studio's epic implosion, and I don't think TWC will be credited on-air.

Deadline also has a really good interview with Taylor Sheridan from last month:

https://deadline.com/2018/05/yellowstone-taylor-sheridan-disruptors-interview-news-1202380439/

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think it's three episodes at two hours per episodes.

My DVR is now showing a 2-hour length for the first episode, which it wasn't a few days ago when I originally posted. Then the same 2-hour show will be immediately repeated.

The listings here indicate that it's a 2-hour premiere followed by single episodes weekly after that, with the finale on August 22:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/yellowstone/listings/

Also, I just wanted to remind anyone else who is interested that it is starting tonight, so do set your DVRs or watch if you're interested, and I look forward to discussing it after.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not really my kind of subject matter, but I'm giving it a shot purely on the strength of Taylor Sheridan's involvement.

The cast he attracted ain't bad, either: Kevin Costner, Wes Bentley, Danny Huston, Jill Hennessy, Josh Lucas, and Gretchen Mol are all "name" actors. Gil Birmingham, Ian Bohen, and Kelsey Asbille were all great in Sheridan's Wind River. Kelly Reilly is a great British talent, the youngest ever nominated for an Olivier. Dave Annable has done a lot of television.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm also going to give this a shot and hope for the best.

On the surface, a Spike TV effort at prestige TV, but with all of the trappings of broadcast (commercial interruptions, extremely short season) sounds like a lose-lose, but Sheridan's recent work has been so good that I don't want to miss anything that the guy does. And the cast assembled here is compelling. I wasn't going to watch this initially, but as I kept seeing ads for it pop up in my web browser, I realized that I wouldn't hesitate to see this if it had been a theatrical film, and that if that were the case, I shouldn't dismiss it just because it's on basic cable.

I hope that it's good, and I also hope that if it's successful for the network, that they will bring it back for a next season on a timely basis. I realize I've become the guy that's always saying that in these TV threads, but every single new show that I've gotten interested in during the past two or three years has pulled a "let's make them wait two years or more for the next season" which has been genuinely disheartening. I look to television to fill a very different niche than I look for films to fill, that comfort of getting to spend regularly scheduled time with characters and stories that interest me and getting to share in that journey with those characters as I'm on my own journey through my life. I'm also finding harder to stay "in it" when shows take too long a break - it's like the spell they cast starts to break, and I find myself unable to stay as involved as I might have once been. (Judging by how active the threads are on HTF for the first seasons of shows that then take long breaks and comparing the smaller nature of follow-up threads to recurring seasons, I'm starting to think I might not be alone in this.)

Anyhow, I hope I love it. It has a ton of potential. I hope it's a successful premiere and something that I can enjoy for a long time to come.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The first episode was really good, but there aren't many people in this series that you'll like so it's going to be hard to watch with nothing, but bad people fighting it out.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The two hour premiere was a bit of a mixed bag for me.

What I liked: Intergenerational family stories always have inherent drama that really appeals to me, creating emotional resonance from the relationships between the family members. While not terribly original, the storytelling device of contrasting the beauty of nature against the less beautiful aspects of some human behavior is always effective (at least for me.) Costner turned in a solid performance and probably had some of the best dialogue in the premiere. I thought the actor (Luke Grimes) who portrayed the black sheep of the Dutton family was really effective and probably the best character in the premiere.

What I disliked: I did not like the heavy-handedness of the final segment(s) with the violent final act. It felt too rushed and was way too melodramatic for my taste. Conflict is an inherent part of drama and the Duttons have plenty of conflict in their lives. Maybe just a bit too much. While I enjoyed Kelly Reilly as Vince Vaughn's wife in the second season of True Detective in the first two hours she was essentially a caricature. I hope she is given the opportunity to develop into a more rounded personality on the show.

Beth Dutton might be emblematic of the series biggest weakness - treating the characters as archetypes vs. allowing them to be fully developed three dimensional characters. Admittedly it is early in the series so that might be a bit premature. That might be why I enjoyed Luke Grime's character the most as he felt the most 'lived in'; showing a variety of sides of the character; something that was absent from many of the other characters.

I'm sticking around; but it is sure shaping up to be 'soap-operish'.

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Somewhat of a modern day blah version of Bonanza (widowed ranch owner father of three sons). Too bad none of the characters are memorable or even very likeable. And yet I liked every regular character in Longmire. Hmmm. Shows you what a difference some simple writing and acting twists can make. I like Taylor Sheridan's films, especially Sicario, but come on, this is a television series western, you don't need to make everyone a brooding a-hole. Son Casey is the only remotely relate-able character.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Somewhat of a modern day blah version of Bonanza (widowed ranch owner father of three sons). Too bad none of the characters are memorable or even very likeable. And yet I liked every regular character in Longmire. Hmmm. Shows you what a difference some simple writing and acting twists can make. I like Taylor Sheridan's films, especially Sicario, but come on, this is a television series western, you don't need to make everyone a brooding a-hole. Son Casey is the only remotely relate-able character.
Perhaps some stuff will come out that makes us care for some of these characters later on. Right now, there is hope for the youngest son and his wife and young son.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Perhaps some stuff will come out that makes us care for some of these characters later on. Right now, there is hope for the youngest son and his wife and young son.

Yes, there's hope for "Little Joe" (Casey).
Though he just killed his brother-in-law.
So, knowing this show's direction, he will probably descend into some self-destructive madness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, there's hope for "Little Joe" (Casey).
Though he just killed his brother-in-law.
So, knowing this show's direction, he will probably descend into some self-destructive madness.
I don't think there is even hope for him as death seems to follow him. The latest episode kind of explains why the daughter is like she is now. A messed up family and the patriarch knows it.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm still watching, but subtlety isn't something I would associate with the show so far. Seems like the show wants to turn the dial to 'eleven'. It isn't enough that Kayce stumbles onto something and multiple fatalities result. Simultaneously, he puts his son in a culvert where there just happens to be a fairly decent sized rattlesnake that the son dispatches.

I don't dislike it, but I am having to exercise more suspension of disbelief than I would prefer. I was glad to see that we get a little more insight into why Beth is damaged. Costner can still deliver a line and his discussion about families with Jim(?) in the stable was well done.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm still watching, but subtlety isn't something I would associate with the show so far. Seems like the show wants to turn the dial to 'eleven'. It isn't enough that Kayce stumbles onto something and multiple fatalities result. Simultaneously, he puts his son in a culvert where there just happens to be a fairly decent sized rattlesnake that the son dispatches.

I don't dislike it, but I am having to exercise more suspension of disbelief than I would prefer. I was glad to see that we get a little more insight into why Beth is damaged. Costner can still deliver a line and his discussion about families with Jim(?) in the stable was well done.

- Walter.
What is the Dutton family, Murder, Inc.?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just got around to last week's episode. Damn. Has there been a death in every episode so far? Definitely in 1, 3, and 4 but I can't remember if there was one in episode 2. Probably. :)

Of course, even a nice outing by the river with gramps goes astray. Shouldn't be surprised at this point.

I guess they will delve more into the 'branding' as the series progresses. I thought the folks from prison were the ones with brands; while we know Fred clearly was not branded; but I'm sure I have an incomplete picture of what it all involves. Maybe some prison recruits are branded and some aren't. (?)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This week's episode was my favorite. God, that family is so messed up as I love Beth, what a wicked woman. Also, Kayce and his wife need to be thinking about the welfare of their son. So, Beth, the daughter has issues with her dead mother and her older brother that she has a running feud with that probably goes back to their childhood. I have to admit her brother's ring tone for her had me laughing my ass off. Kayce and his father have serious issues because its clouding his judgment as to what's best for his kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks