What's new

Yamaha vs. Sony ES Receivers (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The 4ES has been a part of my system for a few months and I am amazed at this piece--flexibility, sound, power, connectivity, warranty. It gets high marks in all categories. Yamaha is truly special at the very top of its line, but the lower-end models, to my ear, are not spectacularly better than the lower-end Sonys. The top-line Yamaha's are fantastic receivers, but the ES (the 4ES at least) is right there with them.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Jeremy- A quick look at the very minimal amp specs show the DB @ .09% THD vs. the 3ES @ .05. These are very different, at least in the amp section. My guess for the elevated price on the DB is a result of a model carryover from the previous year. Anyone trying to decide between the 1070 and the 3es should not have a difficult decision.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
ok if its not an es then why does the top of the page directly above the picture say ES MODELS??? my point is that Sony is has and always will be grossly overrated in power no matter the amount you pay for one.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
my point is that Sony is has and always will be grossly overrated in power no matter the amount you pay for one
You are wrong Jeremy, and you sound perhaps, um, ah, a little anti-Sony biased. I am amazed at how many people can form such strong emotional and irrational feelings against a company as a whole like this.

The 3ES was tested by Home Theatre Magazine and found to deliver beyond its 100 W/channel spec into all five channels simutaneouly. Blanket statements like "Sony is has and always will be grossly overrated in power...", which are not only incorrect but which show clear bias as well, are a sure way to make sure that absolutely no one will ever listen to your opinion.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I'm biased biased from experience with Sony I've yet to hear a single model from them I've ever liked. And I've listened to all 3 lines that they make, the standard line and the ES silver and ES gold and yes there is a construction difference between the silver/gold logo'd es stuff, and have found the sound & power lacking to me. Sony has a very harsh mechanical sound to there amplifiers theres no warmth to them at all. Sony is great at making many things but amplifiers IMHO are not one of them. And you're right this is an opinion and if someone doesn't like it you're right they dont have to listen to it.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Jermy the DB1070 is NOT an ES model. If it was it would read something like 1070es. Sony has 3 receiver lines with the DE being the lowest, next is the DB series which is quite a bit better than the De series, then the ES series. All Sony ES models end in "ES". Some of the DB models were known to be pretty good for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks