Yamaha vs. Sony ES Receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billie, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Billie

Billie Auditioning

Both brands are loaded with DSP modes. What are you thought to which is preferable for music and cinema in the 1K+ price category? How about the Amp section in each receiver with comparable price? Looking forward to read the pro and con from each brand...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yamaha is generally noted for their superior-sounding DSP modes, but I’m not sure if that extends down to this price range. The models with the extra front effects speakers deliver Yamaha’s best DSP modes, but you’ll have to pay more than $1000 for that.

Yamaha is regarded as having excellent build quality.

In addition, I find that Yamaha’s receivers are generally intuitive and user-friendly. Usually not the case with Sony. I’ve typically had to check the manual to find out how to do rather mundane operations with the Sonys I’ve used. And generally I hate their remotes – poorly layed out, illogical labeling, etc.

Sony also seems to be fond of needless complexity. For instance, while their built-in digital equalization is fairly flexible, you have to equalize each and every soundfield separately – pretty silly. Most of Yamaha’s receivers only have old-styled analog bass and treble knobs, but the settings are global. On many Yamaha models the tone control knobs work for the center as well as the main L/R speakers – a feature I like, because if a movie is say, overly bright-sounding, you generally want to reduce the treble across the entire front channels.

Of course, it has been a few years since I’ve used a Sony receiver. Perhaps recent models have improved in these regards.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Billie

Billie Auditioning

Wayne, thanks for sharing your experience. i don't have any experience with either of brand receiver. however, i have a sone tan55es (power amp) sound very clean but lean. I was looking for at Yamaha Z1 but disappointed (have not listened to it yet) that it has only 6-channel amp (excluding the 2-channel for ambience effect). I want a 7-channel ammp. Also, the Z1 only have a crossover at 90Hz. I don't believe the Z1 has any of the equalizer for frequency setting like the Sony ES. How is the amp section in Yammy compare to the Sony ES's? Does Yamaha have any of DSP mode similar to DP II or Logic7 ?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I happen to like most of Sony's remotes, with the exception of many the ones included with their receivers. The receiver remotes seemed to try to do too much with too little. To me, I prefer the sound of Sony compared to Yamaha. Amp sections in the $1K price range sound about the same to me, between the two, and I'd say both are not bad at all.

Having much experience with a friend's 3ES, I can say that they ARE overly complicated for setup/config, but that compexity also gives you a LOT of flexibility. The sound is very good, power seems plentiful, HT is very good.

Do you really need DSP modes? For me, 99% of what I listen to is either stereo or straight DD/DTS. No DSP needed.

I have only actually liked a few Yamahas that I have listened to, and those were basically the top models. Not my cup of tea for music. They will not make my short list for my personal gear. HT is a step up from Sony.

5. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

If you are going to buy Sony make sure it is the Elevated Standard or ES line rather than their consumer line, better build, better componets, better warrenty.
    I cannot speak to the current Yamahah pieces but I have owned several Yamahah Pro-Logic receivers some the top of the line 1050 or something like that, the things I did not like about Yamahah were inflated power numbers, the Yamahah sound, although I like their sound it is colored by Yamahah to be what they like, it may or may not suite you. You can throw out ALL the DSP modes on both IMO except DD, DTS, stereo , THX, I came home one day and my poor wife had been listening to FM radio all day in "Church" mode and she was lost, I was fooling around the night before and left it in that mode, since she didnt know or want to "mess" with it she left it that way.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    "consumer" line? BOTH lines are intended for consumers...

7. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I went from a DA5ES to the RX-z1 & am very happy. I use all 6 channels + the 2 front effects channels. That along with one of their DSPs creates an unbelievable movie experience. In my opinion the rx-z1 is superior to the da5es/4es/7es, however, any yammie receiver lower than the z1 is a toss up when compared to the higher end ES line. IMHO the amps in the 3300 are better than what can be found in the da7es or lower, but the es make up for that in their tweakablility. Anything lower than the 3300 I wouldnt take over a da5es/4es or 7es

8. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Typicaly the low line Sonys are considered consumer grade by many dealers and the ES or Elevated Standard as a higher line not typicaly found in the chains etc aimed at a different level of the market. A figure of speach usually when you refer to Sonys consumer line that doesnt include ES or XBR in video. You can buy the lower line Sonys at any Sony dealer but you cannot by the ES line at any Sony dealer. Marketing I guess. There used to be (and may still be) a middle grade for the Circuit Citys of the world, it allowed them an upgrade without letting them have the ES line, those only for select dealers.

9. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I don't know for certain, but I am fairly sure that the Z-1 has multi frequency equalization for all channel, like Sony. Usually, Yamaha's flagship receivers like the DSP-A1, RX-V1, and the RX-Z1 are the only ones that do, unlike my RX-V3000 which only EQ's the center.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

11. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

I have had many high end 'toys' and just bought a SONY STR-DA4ES receiver for $640.

Simply awesome for the price and what it can do...DTS 96/24, all the DSP stuff, very musical (subjective), and it has more inputs and outputs than most mortals will ever use and or understand (smile!).

Serioulsy, this ES receiver is a 'class' act.

Alex

12. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

I currently own both for 2 different systems. I recently purchased Sony ES -4 reciever for the flexibility, multple inputs and dual multi channnel, power etc. The Yammy is easier to use, set up and the DSP's are great. If you consider Sony diffintly go with ES line otherwise Yammy are solidly built, sound is good and easy to set up. Remotes on both are not the best either. From a audio/ Home theather standpoint its Sony in my opinion.

13. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

"This is correct. And unlike Sony, the equalization is global. You don’t have to set it for each and every DSP."
    The Equalization on my 4ES is global and not only that, I get 5 choices of "EQ". if i select EQ1 then it is applied for all formats and DSPs thus making it global.
    The build quality on ES is as good or better than the Yamahas as I had owned the 555ES, RXV995 and now the DA4ES.
    While it is true that Sonys are a bit tougher to setup initially, but once they are, they are some of the seetest sounding receivers I have heard [​IMG]
    But sound quality is very relative and what sounds sweet to me may sound harsh to someone else. The ES receivers come with a 5 year warranty which is awesome.

14. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Although, I've been a Denon fan, I briefly had one Yamaha receiver in my home this past summer. The HTR-5560. Compared to my Denon AVR-1802, I preferred the Denon much more. Now, I own the Sony STR-DA4ES and it's truly an amazing receiver. When I visited my local Tweeter store some months back, I didn't like the Sony STR-DA4ES when compared to the Denon AVR-3802. The Sony wasn't really set up too good in the store - and the salespeople seemed pretty intimidated with setting the Sony receiver up. Having never used a Sony receiver before, I started to tweak the settings with salesperson beside me. I found that it was quite intuitive as I started the process and proceed. The sales droid just stood there as I worked my magic. In the end, the sound really started to come alive with the STR-DA4ES.

I wonder how many people they turned away from buying the STR-DA4ES because it was so improperly set up? Plus, if I was that salesperson, I think I'd spend a bit more time getting to know the receivers. Heck, if my checks were based on sales, I don't think I'd want to starve, so I'd pack as much knowledge into my brain as possible. Then again, that's just me.

15. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I need to decide between a Z1 ($2,500) and the 3300 ($1,600).

Preferences include power handling, video up-conversion (composite to S-Video, or even component), remote, analog inputs etc etc. grin.

General or Australian model options for me.

Z1 is available next month, and 3300 in April. Not a priority but can't wait! Currently using a 3000; also have a 2095.

Would appreciate soem decent responses.

thanks.

16. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

17. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

One very nice feature regarding Sony's ES line is the five year warranty. How does Yamaha's warranty compare?

18. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Jeremy- I think I've seen this "list" that you mention and the ES's are not represented. If its another list that I have not seen, I would suspect a defective receiver. Power at those tested levels would bring an avalanche of "shutdown" complaints.

19. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

2 years on The HTR's and RX-V's 5 years on the V1/Z1, though you dont really need it with Yamaha, although I've got 7 years coverage on mine.

20. Javi

Javi Extra

The Z1 and V1 both have a 5year warranty!