What's new

ES DA4ES-$599 or RXV2300-$699? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Local dealers seem to be clearing these out and have offered these prices. Could I do better than these prices?The feature set on the Sony seems to take care of everything I need. I have a good turntable and a lot of vinyl, and I note that both have phono inputs. But the Sony has the "Analog Direct" feature, which I like, because the whole idea of playing a record is to get true analog audio. It seems some receivers convert analog inputs to digital with their DACs. What about the Yamaha 2300? I was not able to find out how it handles the phono input.

4 ohm speaker handling? My left/right main speakers are very large floorstanding Legacys with two 10-inch woofers per speaker. The Sony info doesn't rate it for 4 ohm speakers, while the Yamaha does. But the Sony seems to be much more substantial, weighing in at 44 lbs. vs 34 for the Yamaha. Which one could handle dynamic peaks better into a 4 ohm load?

Any other factors to consider?

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
umm goodguys has the 2300 for 499.99 :D i know cause i work for them ..... the 2400 is in soon, impressive specs on this piece.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I found out the Sony has "Analog Direct Mode", which may be what I am looking for with regard to playing vinyl. The 2300 has a phono input, but anybody know if the signal is unprocessed?

Any other opinions?

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
The Sony info doesn't rate it for 4 ohm speakers...
The 4ES is most certainly rated for 4 Ohm speakers. A switch on the back of the unit allows you to select either 4 or 8 Ohm mode. Sound&Vision bench-tested the Sony at over 200 Watts per channel with 4-Ohm speakers in stereo mode.

The analog direct mode is a definite plus. Any receiver these days will convert the analog input to digital and back again, unless it has a specific option to bypass that. All processing, even EQ or simple tone controls, is done in the digital domain in modern receivers.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
$600 for a 4ES is a good price but it isn't really any cheaper that what they have been going for over the last 4 months or so. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it at that price. They are getting quite hard to find. I paid $600 + shipping from onecall about 2 months ago for mine. I am very happy with it.

The 4ES does have a 8/4 ohm selector switch although the jury is out on whether you should make use of it. Basically what it does is it lowers the voltage of the power supply to the amplifiers to limit the power draw and heat generation. As long as the reciever is well ventilated I would probably leave it set at 8 ohms.

Mark

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Thanks for the replies and info. I went ahead and picked up the DA4ES. It was the last one they had in the carton. The guy swears he had it marked down to his cost, and he wouldn't come off that price, although I worked them for about 15 minutes on price. But as was said, still a good price for this unit.

C

Chris*Liberti

I got my DA4ES about 6 months or more ago for $549 and it is an awesome receiver and I am by no means a Sony fan, in fact I was real reluctaqnt about buying it because of previous bad luck from Sony. If for nothing else get it for the awesome warranty. Also I would leave the switch on 8 ohms, like previously stated it lowers the voltage if set to 4 ohms to reduce heat generation (this is a requirement of the UL from what I have heard).

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah,

UL is funny that way with their requirements that equipment doens't catch things on fire and whatnot ;)

If you don't play your system at any loud levels, you can switch it to 4 ohm mode - less heat is always good, but unless you really see a need, leave it at 8 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks