What's new
World Wide Stereo

Yamaha Receiver A/B switching help please. (1 Viewer)

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys. I just set up my HTPC and have it networked into my main PC. Now I have 100's of MP3's going into my HT room as well as online radio. I'm in the process of building some full range QWTL speakers. I'd like to run these speakers as "B" on my receiver and my HT setup as "A". Is there a way to set it up so when I select speaker "B" my subwoofer and 5 other speakers will not play and my "B" will get the full range i.e. no crossovers? I've been trying awhile to get this going but I'm having a hard time and don't know if this is possible. The manual isn't much help.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Interesting situation. I'm sure you're not the first person to want to do this. You probably need to provide more info, but my feeling is that, at least with your current receiver, you can't do this. You are describing a traditional "A-B" type of speaker setup, when what you need is a "main-remote" type of setup. A receiver which is capable of driving a main system (the surround one) and a remote, 2 channel system in another room. You would just have both sets of speakers in the same room. Many mid to high end surround receivers have this capability, though some don't have the needed amps for the remote system built in.

So, it can be done with the right receiver, it just doesn't sound like your receiver has the capability without having to do a lot of reconfiguring when you switched speakers.

I guess my main question is, why don't you wannt to use the same left and right speakers for both systems instead?

BryanDO

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks John, I figured my receiver didn't have the compatability. I am able to just use the left/right speaker in "B" but the subwoofer stays on.

The 2 different speaker sets have very different characteristics. My HT speakers are more oriented to that "impact" sound. My quarter wave TL's will have a much more neutral sound and a flatter response curve from 50 to 20k Hz. I don't want to use them with a sub because it destroys the imaging and balance of the music. These speakers would work in a HT but there not matched to my center, sub and surrounds so they don't blend very well. But who knows, maybe I'll like my TL's so much I'll make a center and use em in my HT :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks