Please help me choose a pre/pro or receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jarrod, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Jarrod

Jarrod Agent

I'm looking at a new pre/pro (or receiver to use as pre/pro + zone 2 and/or surround L/R amp). Budget is definitely under $3000 but the wife is much more comfortable under $1000 (actually the Yamaha 1400/2400 receivers do look like they would make a pretty capable pre/pro at around $800-$1000). On the upper end of the scale I'm willing to go used to keep in the budget and still meet my requirements.

I currently have a 5.1 setup (the room won't really accomodate surround back) that I'm pretty happy with. The speakers are B&W CDM 7NT, CNT, SNT. Main amplifier is a Marantz MM-9000. I have additional amp-channels at my disposal for surround/subwoofer/zone2/biamp duties if required.

I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V995 as a Pre/Pro. It's OK, but I feel that the processing and DACs are now a limiting factor since the other equipment has mostly all received significant upgrades in the last year or two. Also, its age is showing in terms of new/more affordable features that are missing:

1. An adjustable crossover. It would be nice if this adjustment was per-channel since the CDM-SNT surrounds have significantly less bass response than the 7NT mains (which can comfortably put out 40-50Hz).

2. Good bass management in general for music vs. movies - I would like to have some flexibility here since I'm still getting used to my new speakers and am planning to do a DIY sub soon (I've had a Shiva driver sitting here for 2 years...)

3. Component video switching is a must. Three inputs and/or upconversion would be a bonus but not necessary in my system at the moment - we all know how that goes, though...

4. Good DPL II or similar DSP modes - We watch a lot of satellite TV with 2-ch digital audio via toslink and the RX-V995's somewhat artificial-sounding DSP modes are not cutting it...

5. Ergonomics are important. My wife and I will use this piece every day (integrated via a Pronto remote). I can and have read the spec sheets on all the pieces I know about in my price range, but I'm really interested in what you like/dislike about how your equipment works as an end-user.

6. Active Zone 2 would be nice - not required since I do have the other amps at my disposal but this would considerably streamline the system setup and wiring...

Finally, it should sound as good as possible. I really underemphasized that point in the bullet list above, but it sort of goes without saying...

Thanks for any and all input!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Take a look at the Rotel 1098. It does all that you requested and works very well with pronto's. Rotel also has a replacement for the 1066 coming out soon that will be much cheaper then the 1098 but could potentially offer some of its feature set...that's a guess at this point though as we wont' know more till its unvailed at CES later this month. Still the 1098 is what I use and its a stunning pre pro.

3. Jarrod

Jarrod Agent

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Rotel piece. It's been awhile since I visted Club Rotel so this was news to me [​IMG]

Problem is we don't have a Rotel dealer here in Nashville. The closest dealer is about an hour away. I'll have to make the trip after the announcements are made this week.

Oh and I had the conversation with the wife about spending 3K on a Pre/Pro. That's just not gonna happen so I guess now I'm down in the under $2000 range. On the bright side, it does narrow down the options somewhat [​IMG]

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I would definetly go pre-pro for that money.

You could choose from:
    B&K Ref 50
    Outlaw 950
    Integra DTC 9.4
    Fosgate Audionics FAP T1

Some of Adcoms' offerings, and of course the afore mentioned pieces from Rotel.

Also I think Sherwood Newcastle has a new one coming out as well.

5. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

Chris Heflen, from Vancouver, has helped me out more than I could imagine! He KNOWS his stuff!~ For the price you cant beat the Outlaw 950. I am currently going through the same search.

Chris what are you running? [​IMG]