What's new

Yamaha gear (1 Viewer)

Glenn G

Auditioning
I have long been a fan of Yamaha components (but not their speakers) and am about to upgrade my system. Before I go out into the retail world which is driven mostly by commissions, I wanted to get some opinions here. Is Yamaha still a top brand? Or are some of the other brands now the preferred ones.
I know that opinions will vary, and I am only after general opinions. Thanks for your help.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
They're still a top performer in their price bracket, particularly the receivers. The RX-V1 is lacking a few features compared to other companies top end receivers, however its still a great piece, and will soon be replaced with one that should most likely compete with any other receiver out there. I believe the 1200 and 2200 are feature rich and have good prices, but I'm not totally up to date on those.
Woohoo! Post 400!
[Edited last by Keith Mickunas on November 18, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Glenn,
First, welcome to the Forum!
I’m a Yamaha buff, too; been very happy with my DSP-A3090 and the DSP-A2070 before it. I’d certainly look at Yamaha first if I was shopping again.
That said, other brands held in high regard among your fellow Forum members are Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Marantz and Denon. I’m sure others will add to the list.
But still--I’d look at Yamaha first if I was shopping again!
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Bill Bradstreet

Stunt Coordinator
I actually feel like I wouldn't be happy with any other brand receiver for HT. I have a DSP-A3090 as well as another poster. It is a great machine. I'm looking to upgrade to DPL-II and DTS, but I don't want to lose the front effect speakers.
Every once in awhile I turn off the front effect speakers, but I've realized that I really like having them. I imagine if I was in a more ideal-shaped room I wouldn't need them as much...maybe.
I'm looking forward to see what the RX-V3000 & RX-V1 replaces are like. I assume they will have the front effect speakers.
I'm figuring I'll have monoblocks for some/most of the speakers (not the front effects) when I'm done setting up my room.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Glenn,
You may want to try the new Yamaha speakers, they sound more British than ever before. What Hifi gave their 5-star rating to them.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have had my RX-V1200 for a few weeks now, and I am very impressed with its performance. I can say that with little bias since I was NOT a Yamaha fan when I brought it home (had heart too much about bright amps). I was looking for a suitable replacement for my ailing Marantz SR-6200, and the dealer only had Yamaha, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised, and am recommending Yamaha, to my brother for his upcoming budget home theater (and it does not sound bright at all).

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Glenn, your comment about commisions driving the buisness is either anecdotal or insulting...I sell denon ,yamaha, pio elite and sony (db & es),as well as other brands, and let me tell you as a professional ,my integrity is what has made me one of the most sucsessful salesmen in a company of thousands...For what it's worth margins and cash awards (sometimes refered to as "spiffs") are usually paid on equipment that the mnfgr is having a hard time selling and only the salespeople who don't care about their integrity respond to them...as for what I like ,it would be denon and yamaha,which have about the same commision rate which is lower than sony db & es,and lower than Elite...the differance between any of these brands of receivers at @1,000 would probably be no more than a few dollars...I find it would be far easier to sell pio elite and sony es than denon or yamaha,but my heart(or should I say ear) just isn't in it ! As for Yamaha, they make good amps within all of their receivers,especially the top-art designed ones. As for bells and whistles, they released part of this years line-up just prior to DPLII TAKING OFF so some of their lower priced receivers do not have this dsp algoryth...

listen to the new 1200 & 2200 models,I think you'l like what you hear..

keith_d

Auditioning
I was looking at the Yamaha receivers for my first one. I am currently looking at either the RX-V1000 or the HTR-5490. The 5490 has DPLII, which makes it a little more appealing to me. I am also looking at the Denon 3802. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about any of these, positive OR negative, that can give me a little better knowledge for a first HT system? There is precious little info out there for the 5490, but it looks and sounds(in tests) like a solid machine.

Dan A

Agent
Matt, since it sounds like you have had some experience with the RX-V2200, I was wondering what your impressions were. I did a modest side by side comparison with a Onkyo 797 at J and R. Test conditions weren’t ideal and both receivers sounded quite similar in 2 channel. The only difference was that the onkyo seemed to emphasize the highs a drop more.

As I have posted before I like the DSPs and find them quite useful on my RX-V890. The ability to tailor the delays to fit my odd dimensioned room has been useful. I’m powering PSB 3LRs.

I’ve begun leaning towards buying a 2200 rather than a Denon 3802 or an Onkyo 797 for primarily that reason, and my thinking that I’m not giving up many features in choosing the Yamaha, aside from 7.1. Are there major differences in bass management, or other items I should consider.

Also the idea of running my cable, DVD player, and VCR player through my receiver and then to the TV is appealing compared to my current tangle of wires, as is the on screen set-up and ease of use.

Am I missing anything?

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Yamaha makes excellent receivers! Since a replacement for the RX-V1 is in the works, you can probably get a new RX-V1 for $1500-2000! It is a great unit. Good luck!

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I would also recommend Yamaha, but only on models RX-V800 and above. Two different dealers told me that the low-end Yamaha units are not what they used to be. For example, last year I read an unfavourable review on the RX-V496 (forget the mag), whereas the older RX-V490 was tops in its class.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Keith, I would reccomend the HTR-5490 or the RX-V1200 over the RX-V1000 because the 5490 and the 1200 have the newest iteration of Yamaha's DSP chips which is what does all of the the processing. I also heard that the amps have been retooled a bit to make them more neutral. I havent had a great deal of experiance with the 1000, though I have listened to it, but the 1200 sounds sweet!

Dan A

Agent
Another week has passed. Hasn't anyone demo'd the Yamaha RX-V1200 or 2200 yet?

Just looking for any feedback. As I said above, my initial reaction was quite positive.

Am I missing something? Is this product obviously inferior to products from Denon and Onkyo?

(sorry to recycle aging threads, but I guess it's better than starting another)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks