1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I could really use your help with panel positioning (I need to eliminate echo)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JaredSD, Dec 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JaredSD

JaredSD Auditioning

Jared Delaney
    First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Jared and I am newer to this site. I have loved home audio/video project for many years!

I recently built a house, and it is the first time I have ever dealt with a high vaulted ceiling. There is quite an echo in the room, and it’s not cool. As you can see by the pics, the walls are very high with the upper slope coming in around 20-feet and the lower slope at 15-feet or so. The room is also very open to the kitchen and the hallway which also presents issues.

I am trying to figure out how I can eliminate the echo. I have been doing some research and it has led me down the path of creating my own panels with furring strips, insulation (703 or a type of Roxul), and covering it with fabric (duck canvas?). If you look at that upper area with the windows, I could place 6-24x24x2 coverings up there (I would use 2” inch foam). Would that help any though? I know I “need more” according to the pros, but I am trying to find that balance of looks vs functionality. I could place a couple of 2x4’ panels on each side of the upper vents too....if needed. Do I need to build some bass traps in the upper corners or does that only work when the back wall is solid?

Long story short, am I screwed in trying to contain this due to how the house is laid out or can I at least make I dent in the echo? I appreciate any considerations you may have for me as I am ready to tackle this, but just don’t know where to start. Pointers on where to place panels would be absolutely great!

Thank you all! Please feel free to ask any questions.

Gear:
    Older Andrew Jones Pioneers
    Yamaha RX-685
    HSU VTF-MK5
    LG C9

2. JaredSD

JaredSD Auditioning

Jared Delaney
    I should mention, overall, the room is about 20x20x20 with ceiling being vaulted and sloping down to 15-feet. I at least wanted to give the depth and width of the room.

3. JaredSD

JaredSD Auditioning

Jared Delaney
    Anyone haha? Thanks!

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    A general thought is that you might want some handing deadening of some kind.