What's new

Yamaha and Martin Logan question (1 Viewer)

Luis A

Second Unit
A friend of mine wants to pick up the ML Scenario/Cinema/Script package on to go with his Yamaha RXV2095 receiver. Now he has some concerns regarding the Yamha being able to power the MLs. I assured him it isn't an issue, but he's still a little paranoid. I told Mark ( my buddy) I know for a fact the Yamaha can power the Mls since thats what my wife had in her office before I bought her seperates. You see I sold Mark the Yammy about a year ago, so I know there isn't a problem.MY wife has the Aeon/Cinema/Scenario system. I told him I would post on the HTF regarding his concerns to see if I'm right, and get your opinions. He is not a member , but he frequents often. Thanks guy's. :)
L

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Luis:
I was in a similar situation approximately 3 years ago. I purchased a Nakamichi AV-10 AVR to power up my ML setup. At that time, I had Aerius i's, Scripts & a Cinema.
You haven't offered a lot of info as to your friends listening habits, type of material, listening levels, rated info on the Yamaha, so I'll be rather general in my response. Yes, the Yamaha will probably "power" the ML's as an adequate source. No more, no less. I am guessing it would be rated somewhere in the 100x5 area and would really be tasked when playing complex surround material or music other than accoustical jazz (say, for example).
Eventually, I added an amp (Bryston 9B-ST) and there was a day/night difference and after that, I went total separates and upgraded to a 4B-ST for the mains (noting a difference but it was not day/night).
Pretty general response, but you get the idea...
Herb.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Exactly.
The MLs (and most Electrostatics) are a very demanding ampliifer load. While the Yammie can drive the MLs, it won't do so very well. If memory serves me correctly, the impedance plot on the ML panels is around 2 Ohms at the top end (10-20KHz).
As a budget option, you could pick up an Outlaw Audio 1050 for about $1K to upgrade your sonics, or delve into a set of used Marantz monoblocks (MA-500 or MA-700).
Short term it'll work, but as the previous poster noted, you'll likely end up with external amplification in the future.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
A friend of mine, who works in a pretty nice A/V store, uses ML's (not sure which ones) with his Yamaha 995 receiver. It works, especially at lower volume levels, but as with the poster above, he is just waiting to get a power amp in his price range. Martin Logans need power.

Luis A

Second Unit
Herb, the Yammy is rated 100x5 into 8ohms (I'm not sure what the power rating is on 4ohms) and this system will be used mainly for HT. He also listens to alot of techno.
Mark is worried about amplifier damage to his RXV-2095. He has plans to purchase some monoblocks (Marantz MA-6100) in about 6 months, but for now he plans on setting the speakers to small (cut of is 90hz) and letting his two Velodyne HGS-12's handle all the bass (at my suggestion) until he gets the monoblocks. I told Mark with the speakers set to small the Yammy will not have any problem driving the Scenario/Cinema/Script package. His room size is 14x14x8 with an opening into the kitchen. Combined the two rooms are about 3000 cubic (not square) feet.
If more info is needed let me know.
Thanks so much. L
P.S. FYI- In case any of you are wondering why Mark just doesn't become a member and post for himself, he is going through a messy divorce and I'm just doing what I can to help a friend out.
Thanks again.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Your friend is not gonna do any damage to the 2095 amps unless he shorts them out or something. Actually you shouldn't have any problem at all with speaker settings to "small" and the lfe being handled by the subs. Sure, the MLs are power hungry and will sound their best with mega watt amps but the 2095 is quite adequate and will sound very well.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Luis A

Second Unit
Well, after reading the posts Mark is still not to sure about the Yammy powering the MLs. So, he has decided (with the advice of HTF members and myself) to skip the Script surrounds for now and purchase 3 of the Marantz MA6100 monoblocks for the Scenario and Cinema. We'll be picking this up later today and have it up and running sometime this afternoon.
I want to thank all of you again for all your help. :)
L

Seung Kim

Agent
No way in hell that Yamaha receiver handling ML's.
Long time ago I had to sell my brand new Denon 3600's (110Wx5ch) because my ML's sounded like a telephone call.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I think Seung Kim is right. Besides a better amp, a nice pre-amp is in order too. MLs are some pretty nice loudspeakers, and deserve some pretty nice equipment to sound their best. IMO....

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
It will sound 'fine' for long enough for your friend to get established. I'm running a pair of ML reQuests off of a Marantz SR8000 receiver, with 4 ohm rears. I know that the speakers are capable of much better sound, having heard them with a variety of high end amps. But I chose to buy speakers once. I started from scratch after 15 years of being out of audio, and had to buy everything including RPTV. I chose not to compromise with the speakers. I can buy separates later, but I wanted front speakers that I would not grow disappointed in.
Herb: I lust after your 4B, its the power range I'm looking for. A few posts have indicated that it sounds a bit bright, but the reviews say its neutral. Obviously you like it with ML's. Any comments? What would a 4B-ST go for new in the great white north? Used?
Thanks,
Larry
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Larry:
I am a very big fan of Bryston. I now have the Ascents for mains, and I think they mate quite nicely with the Brystons. Are they bright? In my opinion, no. Personally, I believe it might be a stigma attached to previous products from past years. As for the 20 year warranty, that buys an awful lot of "piece of mind". I've heard comments of others claiming they wouldn't want to have an amp for 20 years. Perhaps. But, as you have indicated with buying a set of mains you're very happy with (and rightly so), why would there be a need to upgrade your amp every couple of years, if you purchased one you're very happy with from the get go...? It truly is one of the few components on the rack you can grow older with. It is (IMO) an honest sound - very neutral.
As for used 4B's you don't see them up here too often. I see them from time to time on Audiogon & Ebay but with the exchange, it's cheaper to buy a new one up here. Try calling Canadian Sound in Brampton (905) 453-0444 ask for Don Bell. They have the best prices around for Bryston. You might be able to pickup a demo or something. Only other place I can think of is American Sound up on Young St. They have a decent selection of used stuff. Don't know if they have any Bryston stuff.
LMK how you make out.
Regards,
Herb Kane.

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Herb.
Miles, a local friend who introduced me to ML, must have caught my post as he e-mailed me today to let me know about a pair of 4B's in a local paper for about $1500 each. I'm not in a position to buy right now, but it tempting. I would assume that the warranty is fully transferable?
Larry
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Larry:
If you're talking CAN dollars, I would think that's a pretty good deal. You're probably looking at between $2300-2400 CAN for a new one (taxes included). Make sure it's the ST series. Heck, they're going for $1400 USD used on ebay right now (that's about $2300 CAN before shipping and taxes etc)... not even close.
BTW, if there are any blemishes etc. or if you don't like the finish of the faceplate, you can send it in or take it to the Downsview office to have it replaced. It's under a $100 bucks. I'm one of the few oddballs... I have the silver.... they look great!
As Greg said, the warranty is transferable.
Keep us posted,
Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks