What's new

episode speakers, How are they? (1 Viewer)

mxmxmxmx

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve sherman
I am new to HT, I am getting quotes now and one installer wants to use Episode speakers, He quoted Episode A6-CLR-4 for the front channel and A4- series in Ceiling for the surround using a 10" PSB Sub. these are powered by a Pioneer VSX-91TXH.

The second installer quoted Polk TC625I inwall speakers with RTIA1B shelf speakers with a Martin Logan Sub. powered by a Yamaha RXV663 .

My Question is are the Episode speakers up to par with the Polk ?

The 7 polks are 150.00 each, The Martin logan Sub is 600.00 for a total of $1650.00 for the one installer.

The 7 episodes and the PSB sub is $1419.00 form the other installer.

I have 1600.00 - 2000.00 in the budget for speakers. what's the best for this price rance?

mylan

Screenwriter
I've never heard or heard of them until just now, I doubt many people on here have either. I went to their site and they look ok and have a lifetime warranty but there one glaring omission I see, there is no way of contacting them, no phone number, no e-mail address, I would look toward the Polk/Martin Logan set-up, although you are not locked into just those brands unless the installer is a dealer and balks at installing something else.

Oh yeah, best in this price range is going to get many suggestions other than the two choices you mentioned. If you must go in-walls, Polk would be a decent choice, for $600 I would look into SVS, www.svsound.com, if you can do bookshelf speakers, SVS has you covered there as well.

SteveHayes

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Greetings!

Glad I found this forum to help dismiss some of the myths of this crazy industry....

Episode speakers are engineered by my team which is based in Charlotte, NC. We are very proud of our work and gladly put our speakers up against anything else on the market. Your installer is a smart person for recommending them and if you get a chance to listen to Episode speakers compared to Polk (or any other comparably priced speakers) we are confident you will choose the Episodes because they sound better.

Why don't we provide emails and phone numbers to contact us? Simple. We sell through professional installers ONLY. We know that the best way to have architectural speakers designed to perform best in your home is to have a professional do it. We provide a simple method to find your local dealer and most dealers will come to your house to help you design your music system to perform at its maximum level....that's what pros do.

I hope this helps with your questions.

Cheers,

Steve Hayes

VP Product Development

Snap AV

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Steve...............good luck!

Being from NC myself, I hope the company does well. I've never heard of them either. I, personally, think it's wrong to only deal through pro installers. I think you're possibly losing a very large customer base by doing this. No way I'll ever use a pro installer. I won't pay their prices, and I enjoy doing it myself too much. So, I guess I'll never have Episode speakers..........

I think most people that use forums aren't using pro installers. Of course there's exceptions, such as the OP of this thread. Most of us prefer to do it ourselves. If you've never done it before, it's fun, as well as a great learning experience. It can also be frustrating. I also will not even entertain the thought of in wall or in ceiling speakers. Once they are installed, you can never rearrange the furniture in the room. You're locked in. Some folks like to rearrange their rooms every so often, to have a new look. I know several people like that.

mxmxmxmx...............

I also understand the WAF (wife acceptance factor). They want things to be "pretty". Remind them about the rearrangement problem. I figure the wife has control over the rest of the house, so the HT is mine! It's more about sound, than how the speakers "look" in the room. I think it can look good with speakers on stands or on shelves, and even floor standing speakers. Since she has full control of everything else, my wife doesn't hassle me at all about any of my HT decisions. In the store, she wasn't crazy about getting a 61" tv. But once we got it home and set up, she said, "it doesn't look that big afterall". I think the problem with most wives is that they just can't picture it in their minds, how it's actually going to look. Since they can't picture it, it's not going to look good.

BTW......... I second the SVS sub. They are hard to beat, especially for the money. If it were me, I'd also go with the SVS speakers, but the only way to hear them, is buy them. They have a great 45 day return policy. Do a search for them here on the forums. A couple of people recently bought them (different models), and they seem to love them. Episode speakers may be great speakers, and suit your personal purposes. But, to me, I won't deal with a company like that. No email or phone number raises flags that there's no customer service, which is very important to most people into home theater. I know if I have a problem with a product itself, I don't want to talk to a third party (installer). I want to talk to the people that built the product! I don't think I'm the only one like that.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Steve,

First, the thread you are replying too is almost 2 years old. Second, although I never heard of Episode speakers, I wouldn't be against trying them. However when a VP stops by and tells me his speakers will sound better my BS radar goes off. How do you know what I like? How can you tell me that your speakers are better than brand X if you have no idea what my preferences are? And even if you know me, you could be wrong. I can't stand Klipsch speakers, yet they are very popular. Many folks classify my Axioms as bright, yet I really like them.

I don't mean to dump on you but, come on. There's no way you can make those statements in a crowd of folks who know better.

OK, I'm done ranting for the day.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Good catch David. I never noticed the thread was two years old.

I seldom look at the date on them.............

camberry

Auditioning
Real Name
Cameron Berry
First off let me say that as a life time hobbyist and short time professional installer I totally agree that as a hobbyist I would have avoided a company that only sells to installers. Let me address some of the other comments with a very brief history.

Two years ago a friend of mine who is THX level 2 certified installer and myself (home theater hobbyist and full time IT technician) decided to start a home theater installation business. My friend was no longer working for the company he was working for in DC and moved down into southern Virginia to finish college and start a new business.

On one of the first installs I was on with him was an install that he was finishing up in DC. We used many parts from SnapAV (the owners and creators of episode speakers). This time-lapse has information on all the specs.

All kidding aside I just wanted to share my experience from this company and join in the growing to support this new company as it rises in reputation.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Actually, the BS radar is higher than ever now. I see lots of owners and other company big shots chatting on these boards all the time. I rarely see them tell me their products are the best. It just does not happen and it should not happen. The fact that he is one hitting all the major forums just adds to my skepticism. Replying to a 2 year old post I guess it better than starting your own, making it blatantly obvious that he is trying to advertise his products.

Again, I have never heard of these speakers. They may indeed be great. Had Mr. Hayes come here and explained who he is and offered to answer questions, offer demos, talk about the company, then great. No problem. But to say his speakers 'sound better' is BS. BOSE says the same thing all the time. Wonder why everyone (with a clue) hates them?

Plus we are talking about in-wall speakers which themselves are a comprise.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by camberry
I think it is remarkable that the VP of a company would pay attention to forums and post replies to questions...

I have to contribute. The VP is NOT paying attention and replying to questions. He came across this forum, saw an opportunity to maybe profit, searched for his brand, found ONE two year old comment, and made a feeble sales pitch. To answer your question, plenty of other manufacturers (and studios) DO give actual support here, but for the most part, that is not really what these forums are for.

I've been in sales pretty much all my life, and I basically roll my eyes at people like this.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I want to add, we have now had two people miraculously show up to post their first and only comment in a two year old thread about a speaker line nobody here has ever heard of.

Come on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks