XP Upgrade Questions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about Windows XP and the upgrade process.

I have two computers. A has Wid 98 SE. B is a new computer that came with XP Home Edition. I just got one of the XP Pro kits. What I want to do is to replace 98 SE with XP Home, and replace XP home with XP Pro.

Is this possible and how do I go about changing the XP home Edition to my other computer? I don't understand the whole activation/registration process.

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

When you install Home on the 98 box, do the phone registration option. It will fail and you'll be connected to a rep. Explain the situation to them and they'll give you a code to register it.

Thy're pretty reasonable about this kinda thing. I recently recycled an old box and threw Pro onto a new built box with no hassle. The process takes all of 10 minutes.

T

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I THINK (but not sure), if your XP with the box is an OEM (such as ones that are bundled with a Dell, HP, IBM,...), you cannot move it to another machine. If it's a standalone XP, then you should have no problem.

4. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve,

>>I THINK (but not sure), if your XP with the box is an OEM (such as ones that are bundled with a Dell, HP, IBM,...), you cannot move it to another machine. If it's a standalone XP, then you should have no problem.

Oh no, this might be trouble for me. Is there a phone number to call Microsoft to ask them aboiut this?

Anyone?

Thanks,
    Glenn