What's new

XP Upgrade Questions? (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about Windows XP and the upgrade process.

I have two computers. A has Wid 98 SE. B is a new computer that came with XP Home Edition. I just got one of the XP Pro kits. What I want to do is to replace 98 SE with XP Home, and replace XP home with XP Pro.

Is this possible and how do I go about changing the XP home Edition to my other computer? I don't understand the whole activation/registration process.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Glenn

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
When you install Home on the 98 box, do the phone registration option. It will fail and you'll be connected to a rep. Explain the situation to them and they'll give you a code to register it.

Thy're pretty reasonable about this kinda thing. I recently recycled an old box and threw Pro onto a new built box with no hassle. The process takes all of 10 minutes.

T

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I THINK (but not sure), if your XP with the box is an OEM (such as ones that are bundled with a Dell, HP, IBM,...), you cannot move it to another machine. If it's a standalone XP, then you should have no problem.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Steve,

>>I THINK (but not sure), if your XP with the box is an OEM (such as ones that are bundled with a Dell, HP, IBM,...), you cannot move it to another machine. If it's a standalone XP, then you should have no problem.

Oh no, this might be trouble for me. Is there a phone number to call Microsoft to ask them aboiut this?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks