What's new

XBox on the Discovery Channel !! (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Sounds like an interesting show...

"L.A. filmaker FilmOasis Inc. has teamed up with the Discovery Channel to bring the viewers footage of what it's like to try to create the next big Xbox game. The one hour program, The X Factor: Inside Microsoft's Xbox (part of the "On the Inside" series) is premiering Friday, June 20, 2003, at 8 PM (ET/PT). The show will primarily focus on three titles: Halo 2, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, and Oddworld Inhabitants' next Oddworld game.

The show gives viewers a chance to see the abovementioned games in different phases of the production and development process. In addition, Discovery Channel has included exclusive interviews with Microsoft's Ed Fries, vice president of its game studios; Bungie's project lead, Jason Jones; the design lead of Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, Mike Pondsmith; the president/creative director of Oddworld Inhabitants, Lorne Lanning; and others.

The X Factor also takes a look at Xbox Live and Microsoft's chances of success in the videogames business. "Microsoft is placing a big bet with the Xbox. It will be just another door stop if the games aren't fun. It is really that simple," said James McQuillan, co-founder and filmmaker for FilmOasis. "The X Factor lets the audience see for themselves what it takes to get the nod from Microsoft to produce a game for the Xbox and explores whether Microsoft is on the right track."

JoshF

Supporting Actor
It'd be even more intersting if they did the same format show for both Gamecube and Playstation.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I set my tivo. It'll be worth it just for the possibility of more halo 2 footage.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Save it for the IGN forums or Gamefaqs. As a forum, there's no way that we could all agree on one console, but I bet most of us agree that we could do without console-bashing comments like that.

It was a very interesting show. It could've been just a lame piece of promotional fluff, but it felt like a good documentary. It was interesting seeing 3 different development groups wrestiling with similar issues.

-Dave

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
With all these reality shows out there it would be nice for the discovery channel to Do a series about game designing from start to finish. Would be very intresting for all systems involved

capt

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I saw it last night..the encore at 11 PM. It was quite informative but I was a bit disappointed that there was only a small portion for Halo2. Nonetheless, these few screentime was very nice. I liked the part where the Master Chief jumps out of that space station and falls out to the planet or another station with the ever mesmerizing music. Really can't wait for it...

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice Crimson Skies? They only showed a few minutes of actual gameplay But it looked too arcade and not enough Sim,IMO. The plane was just there, did'nt look like it was flying at all. Would it be because the programing is incomplete, and not all the characteristics of flight are there yet... or at least some of them?
I don't know anything about programing. I hope they will make it a little more real looking. (The Flying and handling part)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
CS is an arcade game. Ever play the first one?

The only new halo 2 footage was the bump mapping demo. The close ups on the warthog were interesting.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Save it for the IGN forums or Gamefaqs. As a forum, there's no way that we could all agree on one console, but I bet most of us agree that we could do without console-bashing comments like that.
Dave, you need to take a de-sensitizing pill, dude. Notice the "smiley" at the end of the statement? It was in JEST, poking a little fun.

...ever hear of it?

If you're still hurt, give me your email addy and I'll ship you some Kleenex. ;)

BryanK

Stunt Coordinator
James, I have the first one and still play it to this day!
The plane flies like a plane! Not like your just moving the crosshairs around! Wind affects you! you can almost feel the G's when you turn. Like your flying.
Ever play the first one?

I did'nt see this with what they showed on Discovery. I'm asking is this something that can be programed later or is this the way the plane is going to fly in the console game?

James St

Supporting Actor
I missed it. Are there any more encore presentations coming?

Here's the email I got from Xbox Live TODAY at 6:21 PM.

Tonight, Xbox is on The Discovery Channel.
Watch us tonight, Friday, June 20th at 8.p.m. (EST/PST) on The Discovery Channel! Go behind the scenes as three teams race to create the next great American video game in a one-hour documentary, "The X Factor: Inside Microsoft's Xbox." Meet game developers from FASA/Crimson Skies, Bungie and Oddworld Inhabitants, go through the many stages of video game development.

Starring, Kevin Keeker and Jason Schklar from Microsoft Game Studios User Testing. So watch and see how Microsoft Games Studio leads the way with Usability and Play-testing in the game industry.

Don't miss it!

"The X Factor: Inside Microsoft's Xbox"
Airing tonight at 8.p.m. (EST/PST) on The Discovery Channel
Check your cable listings for more information.

Way to go MS.:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks