What's new

XBox now #2 in the UK (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
And from what I've read, the XBox has outsold the Gamecube for the last couple of months.
Didn't both consoles debut in the UK this year? I know the Xbox did for sure - I think the GCN did too.

I think that all the sales numbers make sense - GCN was outselling the XBox at first - established fan base, lower cost, etc - and now the XBox is catching up (price breaks, becoming more proven over time, etc.)

I think that MS being anything but last in the UK and the US is pretty impressive - especially since the GCN has a significant price advantage.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
MS has come out and said that Xbox2 will release before PS3, no matter when PS3 arrives (2005 right now.) If you think about it, it is very easy for MS to do this using PC parts. Just wait until you want to make a new one, pick the best parts at the time, integrate them into a new console, and go. PS3 actually has to custom build all the internal parts before launch, including the CPU, GPU, etc. MS let's Intel worry about the CPU, NVDA worry about the GPU, etc until they are ready to make a new console.

The other huge advantage that isn't being talked about yet is that MS doesn't have to write a new OS for Xbox2, the increased power is in the new components (just like when you upgrade your PC.) So Xbox2 should be able to play all Xbox 1 games flawlessly and maybe even offer improvements. Also, no new OS means that costs are lower and a lower offering price could be maintained. If Xbox2 came out at $199 and PS3 was launched at $299, which would you buy first?

It's a great business plan by MS...

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Joe, I just posted almost those exact same points on another thread.
I could have saved myself the time had I read yours first :)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
it is very easy for MS to do this using PC parts. Just wait until you want to make a new one, pick the best parts at the time, integrate them into a new console,
You would be kidding yourself if you think that the Xbox2 is just going to be that alone. The "one-in-all" set top box is the order of the future. Sony has already started hinting at it with the "Cell" technology and wanting downloadable software (exclusively), big time networking of multiple components and the vaunted ability to turn on your toaster with the press of the triangle button.

I fear that in 5 years our favorite hobby will be less about games and more about Tivo features, DVD players, home wide networking hubs..blah blah blah. I just hope to god that the console manufacturers of the world don't lose sight of why we buy these consoles in the first place. To play games!!

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I fear that in 5 years our favorite hobby will be less about games and more about Tivo features, DVD players, home wide networking hubs..blah blah blah.
I think you just described the exact reason why I'm happy that Nintendo is still just making game platforms... and games. :)
Glen

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I just hope to god that the console manufacturers of the world don't lose sight of why we buy these consoles in the first place
Like Glen said, Nintendo has tried to stay making JUST gaming consoles that only play games. Not trying to show how Nintendo is better than MS or Sony, but rather just saying that Nintendo is planning on doing exactly what you said console manufacturers should do.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The market will always dictate what is for sale. I have no worries.

-Dave

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The market will always dictate what is for sale. I have no worries.
The market also dictated what was for sale years ago and that led to the "Crash of the 80's" until Nintendo released the NES and revitalized the market.

I don't want to sound like a doomsayer here but if the focus does in fact turn from games and more towards the all-in-one machine we may see a repeat of that.

Of course I have no doubt that eventually someone will come around and bring the market back up to standard. There will always be videogames to play, but I certainly don't want to see the market crash a second time and have to wait for change to be brought about again. As always IMHO.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I don't want to sound like a doomsayer here but if the focus does in fact turn from games and more towards the all-in-one machine we may see a repeat of that.
I guess I've always been one of those people that just really dislikes machines combining multiple features. For example, I wouldn't ever want to buy a TV with a VCR or DVD player built in. Why? Because if your DVD player breaks, you don't have a TV while it's being repaired.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't use my PS2 or my XBox to play movies. That's what my DVD players are for. :)
Glen

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that at the time, a standard DVD player in Japan ran about the same or more than a PS2
Nonetheless the same interest in the PS2 as a DVD player/game system was prevelant here in the US. The example was to illustrate the point I was making above.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think the idea of multi-function devices is good and makes sense is some cases. It makes sense that the PSX plays CDs, that the PS2/X-Box play DVDs, etc. But what I don't want are machines where gaming is just one of the many functions instead of the main function.

To tell the truth, online gaming is going to change that for the worse. Instead of consoles being used as online gaming devices, they'll become internet browsers and will have things made so they can do what PCs already do on the internet. I can see why someone who doesn't have a lot of cash would prefer to be able to use an X-Box as a DVD player, gaming console, and an internet browsing device at the same time, but it still moves the technology away from being about gaming.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is so much speculation going on here. Nobody really knows what the future holds right now...odds are that even if functionality like PVR ends up with some models, that you'll always be able to buy a basic model that just plays the most current games. So who cares?
And if multi-function is so bad, are you guys going to bash the PSX for playing CDs? Look at all the damage that did. :)

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'm bashing them for putting that feature in there, I just never used it for that purpose.

Glen

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
ME said:
I don't believe anyone here blasted any console or console manufacturer. Many here simply stated a preference for Nintendo's view of the future. Focus on the games. I own a PS2, I own an Xbox, I have a GC and I love them all to death but I don't think there is absolutely anything wrong whatsoever with stating that. Again, its a philosophy I happen to agree with.
Furthermore the PSX adding a CD player is worlds apart from some of the major functions being thrown about for next generation (Tivo devices, exlusive software for download and not retail, full on home networking via your consoles). These things are definitely intriguing additions and I would be a fool to say that some of them are not exciting. My point and my hope is that the focus is *NOT* taken away from what we go out an buy these consoles for. Games.
PS. Everyone, this thread was created to discuss Xbox being #2 in the UK. I realize that the current discussion does not have much to do with that so if we want to move this discussion to a new thread let me know and Ill create it. I dont want to hijack Michaels thread with this subject.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
If interested, here are the Japanese numbers:
By the end of September, Microsoft had sold just 278,860 Xbox consoles since its Japanese launch on Feb. 22.
Meanwhile, 1.59 million GameCubes have been sold since they debuted in September 2001, according to Enterbrain, publisher of a popular Japanese game magazine.
Market leader Sony has sold 10.25 million PlayStation 2 consoles in Japan since they debuted in 2000.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
By the end of September, Microsoft had sold just 278,860 Xbox consoles since its Japanese launch on Feb. 22.
WOOHOO! They finally sold off thier intial shipment of Xbox. GO MS! You better start ramping up that prodcution factory now!!:D
DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE IS A JOKE AND ONLY A JOKE!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Considering that MS is just about tied with Nintendo or has a slight lead over them in America and Europe, the Japanese market is definitely going to be the swing that kills the X-Box (at least some of the Japanese developer support). If it fails in Japan and loses some major support (already lost Konami) then it'll most likely either drop out of that market entirely or will just try to finish the console's run.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
How much is the Xbox ahead of the Cube here in the US? I know the lead in Japan is huge for the GCN, but isn't it about neck and neck world wide?

Overall though, I'm kinda impressed that the Xbox is doing pretty well. there were lots of doubts about MS launching a console, but I don't think they are doing all that badly at this point. Considering that Nintendo's got the fan base & price advantage, MS isn't doing too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks