What's new

X Files--Any More Feature Films? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I still watch and enjoy the X Files nearly every week. I know many here have stopped watching the show, and sure it isn't quite what it once was; But it is still one of the better TV shows going these days, and one of the few I try to watch every week.

My question is, and I haven't heard much at all on this, whether or not there are going to be more feature films. And if so will David Duchovny participate? Does Chris Carter plan on wrapping the show up, and the mythology, in feature films? After all these years the show needs an ending to it of some sorts, and it would have to be done in films since Duchovny apparently isn't coming back to the TV show.

Just curious if anyone knows.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't think anything is definite. The producers have always said there will be another film, and Duchovny has said he's willing to do it, but that's about all.

I think a lot will depend on whether the current season is the last one.

M.

JayJ

Auditioning
Yes, there is going to be another "X-Files" feature film.

Just about a month or two ago, FOX announced that they've made a deal with Chris Carter to produce and co-write (with Frank Spotnitz) a new feature film which will focus once again on Agents Mulder and Scully. Both Duchovny and Anderson have said they are interested in returning to these roles on a semi-regular basis for feature films.

According to what I read in the papers and trades, Carter intends this film to be a stand-alone vehicle that won't rely on the show's mythology -- something I think is smart if they want to attract non-viewers who will otherwise be confused by what's going on (they lost a lot of folks on the first movie). I believe something was also mentioned about it having a more horror-driven story than the previous film.

Don't know when they intend to start production but I'd guess it won't be ready for release anytime prior to Summer 2003.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, Jay! Obviously I missed those stories. Odd that nothing's shown up on the official X-Files site.

M.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they started to make the show about Dogget and Reis (however their names are spelled) and then Scully and Mulder went off to do the movies, that would be sweet!

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Despite my feelings for the show currently I would definitely stand in line to see an X-Files movie. I do hope that it deals with the mythology though.

Darren H

Second Unit
Seems the appropriate place for this news: I saw on E! this morning that this year will officially be the final season of X-Files. I've been watching sporadically this year, but will probably watch the rest of the episodes to see how they handle Mulder and prepare for the movies.

I also think that the next film should involve the mythology in some way. I can't imagine them including Mulder without at least referring tangentially to it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Here's another Link Removed with a little more speculation on tying up this season.
I'm sort of relieved to hear this news now, rather than watch it limp into May, and then find out in the summer that it wouldn't return. Perhaps the ratings will get a nice push and the X-Files goes out on a high note which will spill into the next X-Files film.

JayJ

Auditioning
Hey everyone,

I tracked down one of the original articles I remembered reading about the new movie. This is from "Variety" and the story was also reported in the "Hollywood Reporter" and various newspapers as well....

CARTER, FOX FILE FOR AN "X" SEQUEL

The truth is out there -- again.

20th Century Fox is negotiating with Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz to write and produce a second feature based on Carter's long-running hit TV series "The X-Files." Duo wrote and produced the 1998 "X-Files" pic together.

Rob Bowman directed original pic, but no helmer is yet attached to this project, nor have any cast deals been set. However, the project is being developed as a stand-alone vehicle for agents Mulder and Scully, and thus, original series stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

Both thesps have indicated a willingness to return for the new pic.

Duchovny is no longer with the Fox series; Anderson has long expressed her desire to leave the Fox skein following the end of the show's ninth season, which begins Sunday. As a result, the plot of the pic will likely not be steeped in the elaborate "X" mythology but instead serve as a stand-alone feature.

Carter and Spotnitz are expected to begin writing the screenplay within the next few months. Pending a helmer and a greenlight, pic could begin shooting as early as late 2002. It's expected the earliest the film could be released is Christmas 2003.

First feature grossed $84 million domestically and also performed well in homevid. Overall, figuring in licensing and syndie revenue, "The X-Files" franchise has made nearly $1 billion for News Corp. since the skein launched in fall 1993.

"The X-Files" remains Fox's top-rated drama and the No. 2 drama on TV among the key demo target of adults 18-49. Last season, the 20th Century Fox TV-produced skein averaged a 7.0 rating/15 share in the demo -- increasing a tick on its 1999-2000 season average.

Skein has also been a juggernaut since bowing in syndication, regularly ranking as the No. 1 off-net hour in all key demos.

Date in print: Tue., Nov. 6, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks