What's new

X-Files 12/16/01 - spoilers (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heh, loved the into to tonight's X-Files episode.
They start out with footage from a local access cable show called "The Dumbass Show" where they film high school kids doing, basically, dumbass stunts. Well, one stunt goes bad when "Capt. Dare" has his head caved in when bugs eat his skull from the inside. This prompted an investigation from the X-Files.
I got a kick out of hearing Doggett, Reyes, and Scully saying "Dumbass" for the first 30 minutes of the episode. Tee hee.
All in all, a light-hearted episode that, in the end, deals with boy meets girl, boy loves girl, boy goes through bug-puberty, boy loses girl, boy's mom takes boy away from girl.
Highlights/lowlights:
Reyes and Doggett do really do much, but do wind up one step behind the bug boy (Dylan, a high school student) and his subconscious and conscious control of bugs in order to promote his chances to be with a girl he's had a crush on since the 4th grade. As it turns out, his mother tries to warn him of the changes he's been experiencing with the control of bugs, but he never heeds her. Finally his mother reveals herself to be a bug creature as well.
Scully and Dr. Rocky, the smarmy entomologist who has the hots for Scully. He turns into a Bugs-Buster with his insect antenna detection device ( for detecting bug phermones). When he meets up with momma bug, and gets cocooned on the ceiling, Scully has to rescue him. Dr. Rocky is a man after my own heart as he fakes needed CPR as Scully is giving him breaths of air and applying chest compressions, just to have Scully "work" on him. :) Gotta give him kudos for his own form of making a modified "mating" session with Scully.
Overall, another "relaxed" episode of the X-Files, one that you just go along with just to see how Scully handles Dr. Rocky's advancements. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The funniest episode in a long time. Scully's reactions to the bug doctor were priceless. But the best line in the whole thing was:

"Help me! Help me!"

The episode was full of references. When the camera first showed the high school cafeteria, the score referenced Twin Peaks -- another series where strange things were happening at a high school.

M.

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite line was Doggett's explanation for the attack on the first student: "His head was full of crap and the flies couldn't resist."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The main drawback to this episode was that it did not have the understanding and secret affection for "Jackass" that the X-Cops episode had for "Cops", so the parody is not quite as sharp. It also felt kind of like a Frankenstein's monster assemblage of other episodes (X-Cops, The teenage romance of "Jose Chung", a cross between Yappi from Clyde Bruckman and Bambi from War of the Coprophages, the mutation/puberty connection of numerous teenage monster eps), but I guess that's what happens if a show lasts long enough. Now that I am getting all negative, I will come clean that I was pretty well entertained by the whole thing anyway.

Regards,

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It also felt kind of like a Frankenstein's monster assemblage of other episodes (X-Cops, The teenage romance of "Jose Chung", a cross between Yappi from Clyde Bruckman and Bambi from War of the Coprophages, the mutation/puberty connection of numerous teenage monster eps),
As I said, full of references -- and in the best way possible. The five people watching who were new to the show didn't need to pick up the allusions to episodes past, and those of us who remembered could enjoy the extra dimension. The looks of disbelief and horror that Scully gave Rocky were just like the one she pulled in "War of the Coprophages" when she spoke the immortal line (twice): "Her name is BAMBI???"

M.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
While I really enjoyed the humor that Rocky brought to the show, I think Scully just looked like an idiot giving chest compressions to a man that obviously had a pulse. Also, anyone that knows anything about CPR knows you never sit on the victim. I did like the look on Rocky's face though. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks