What's new

X-Box in da house! (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, May 14th, my Birthday, and the big ass X-box is sitting on the floor behind me after a few straight hours of gaming. In stores I knod of though, it wasnt so big, now having it here in the same view of my HT with the PS2 and Cube it is truly huge, the controler however I don't mind. At first glance, it is incredibly intimidating, but for the three games I have the pad has not become an issue.
Halo, Jet Set Radio and Project Gotham are my first games (I also got a 2nd controller). The latter two whisked me back to Dreamcast days gone by. Halo took some getting used to control wise. Once I was off the ship and landed on the ring itself I was bowled over by the detail and the scale of the levels. Good god!
5.1 gaming is the best thing ever. :D
Dan

TysonG

Auditioning
How do you have your xbox connected to your home theater system? Did you buy the Advanced AV pack? Our you using the optical cable to your receiver? Are you using s-video to your TV?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'm using the advanced RGB scart cable which has an optical connection ouput to my pre amp.

Dan

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I don't really have anything useful to say at all, except...

Are you going to make me regret my decision to buy a Gamecube as well as my one to buy a PS2 then?

paul h

Supporting Actor
Just get an XBox for £199 then you dont have to regret buying any, all 3 offer gaming goodness. Talking of which Halo still has me hooked but god it's getting tough towards the end!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Iain... did you see the bit about me getting a second joypad? Next week good for you? :D
Dan

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey with XBOX dropping in Price I'm tempted. How can I hook the thing to My 65807 Mits for Hi Def. I already have a RCA DTC 100 hooked to the only Hi Def input thru a transcoder.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Congrats Dan!!! Welcome to club Xbox. It's a pretty damn cool place and, I think it's going to keep getting better.
Kinda jealous: I'd love to be doin' Halo for the 1st time again. :)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Err, yes I did Dan. Next week is very good for me indeed, if it involves playing some co-op Halo!

If you've got PGR we could try that too, but is it like MSR in that you've got to work for a while to unlock anything much for multiplayer?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Iain, co-op all the way! This game keeps thrilling me. I love these little turtle like aliens who sound like that nutty Gremlin from Gremlins 2. They're insaine and they have me in fits of laughter with the things they say ("arghh, oooh noooo, he's dead. RUN AWAYYY!!!").

Iain, PGR seems a look like MSR in it's initial multiplayer aspects. We can do 2 player vs mode on Jet Set Radio too!

Dan

Dan B

Screenwriter
Hell, I'm still playing those same games, so I can relate to your experience. Have you got to drive the Warthog yet in Halo? I love that thing, man. The amount of dialog from the NPC's in Halo continues to impress me...they've got soo many lines that I'm still hearing new ones. (maybe it's time to resuscitate the Official Halo thread)

-Dan

Richard_c

Agent
Got there in the end then ? :) finished Halo last night on normal & a stunning experience it was, will have a few days break then go for it on heroic. How good is PGR ? i caved in & bought it from Amazon in the end, i heard you have to unlock the widescreen mode ?.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Dan, I hated the Warthog at first, but finaly got used to the control scheme and had a lot of fun. I'm currently on the 'Into the belly of the beast' level I think it's called.

PGR, Richard, is essentialy MSR but cleaner looking and better sounding with a few added tweaks and New York roads to dash around in....and that's FINE with me, MSR was my kind of racing game, and I love that and I most certainly say love PGR. I'm not far into it though so as far as unlocking bits goes, I can't say just yet. The controls are good too.

Dan

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Don't worry Ryan; I'm sure with my 'assistance' a co-op run won't be quite as fast! To this day I've not managed to complete a Quake or Doom on anything above Hurt Me Plenty.

[ discussion that should probably be off the board ]Tuesday OK Dan?[ /discussion that should probably be off the board ]

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Ah, good deal Iain :).
I enjoyed the Heroic on Halo because it doesn't feel like the computer is cheating like crazy, more like they just turn up the heat on the action. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to waltz through on normal, heroic is a nice rubberstopper that will slow down the game for you and allow you to appreciate it a lot more.
So who will be the driver and who will be the shooter? :D

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Big upps, Dan! I just got mine a month or so ago, and have really enjoyed HALO. It's the best FPS I've played since Goldeneye.

Enjoy!

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks