What's new

X-Box HD-Pack? (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
1. I think I just got an HD-TV (I say think, because I didn't buy it, no nothing about HD, and it was being sold half off because it had the wrong remote, but it didn't have a box.) But my friend who bought the TV was told it was HD, it says HD on it, and one of the inputs is named HDTV. So I assume it's HD-ready, correct?

2. If I don't have an HD set top box (Would I even need one with this TV?), can I still get advantage out of the XBox HD Pack? Does it hook up via componet, or what?

3. Also, I read on Amazon it may be missing a cable that goes from their splitter box to the television. What cable is this? Is it a componet cable, composite, or something totally seperate? If I bought MS's Xbox pack, what would it take extra for me to hook it to my HDTV and a DD 5.1 system?

4. Also, is Monster's HD pack worth the jump in price? How much is it? (I couldn't even find it on Amazon.) Does it include all the cables? Unless my equipment is extremely high end, will I really be able to tell a difference?

James St

Supporting Actor
Ike,

1. Who makes it? Model number? If it says HD or 1080i then chances are it is HD capable.

2. To receive any HD signals you will need a set top box. The X-Box can output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. Right now games will only output as high as 480p but AFAIK all games do.

3. The HD pack outputs component video, analog audio and digital audio via an optical toslink. It comes with component cables but you have to buy the optical yourself. After that you're ready to go.

4. Monsters component and optical cables cost around $105. I ended up buying the HD pack for $20 then bought some component and optical cables separately. It was cheaper for me that way. I don't have a HD set but the 5.1 alone is worth it to me.

Ike

Screenwriter
On 2., so will I need the HD set top box or not?

And I should have gotten the model number and everything. I will, later (the TV's not near my computer.)

And thanks for the help!

James St

Supporting Actor
Doh.. sorry. For 480p, 720p and 1080i from X-Box you will NOT need any set top box. I was refering to over the air and DSS HD signals. Sorry for the confusion.

James St

Supporting Actor
Yup, looks HD ready to me. With the HD pack you will be able to play games in progressive scan(480p). Since I don't have a HDTV I can't tell you how great it is but there are many others here who can and will. You may want to search in the gaming hardware section for more info and opinions on 480p gaming. Hope this helps.

Ike

Screenwriter
Thanks! Finally, a helpful answer.
So, if I bought the HD pack, and hook it up using the componet in, it will be 480p, correct?
To someone whose used it, is it that much different/better?
So, to finally make sure I've got a grasp on this:
If I bought this Optical Cable for my 5.1, this componet cable for my video, and the HD pack, I'll be all set for 5.1 HD gaming? (If so, do you recommend better cables?)
Edit: I see you say it comes with componet cables. Sorry!

Ike,

I have the X-Box hooked up via the HD-pack. Yes the HD pack comes with unsheilded cables, you may want to upgrade later, but it is not absolutely necessary. If you're the type that usually goes for premium cables, then by all means do it.

Any optical cable including the one you chose will work, provided your receiver is DD ready (I'm assuming it is and you have an empty DD input).

Buy those accessories and you're ready to go!

Patrick.

Ike

Screenwriter
Guess what?

I signed for my huge X-Box bundle from the Fed Ex man. I tore it open, breaking my vow to wait until Christmas. There sat the green monster, an extra controller, Halo, Project Gotham Racing, and DOA3. I almost drooled. I knew I should have waited until I got an HD pack, but I couldn't contain myself. Plus, I'd have something to compare it to when I did.

But, I realized that the X-Box was minus a AC power cord. No, biggie, I thought-it looks exactly like my PS2/Dreamcast cord. I'll play with them until I can get a replacement.

Though the PS2 and Dreamcast appear to be interchangeable with their cord, the X-Box just had to be different. After about an hour I had been told that the X-Box was a wholly unique cord, that was unavailable on the "open market". (The MS guy didn't like it when I pointed out that there was in fact a 9.99 X-Box AC Cord on Amazon by Interact, saying that he couldn't tell me not to buy it, but if I did, that it wouldn't be under warranty if it messed up.)

So what does that mean? I may not get to not only play it in HD on Christmas, since no one locally seems to carry the HD pack, but I also may not even get to play it period. (EB Games, though, has one of the best phone people around, and gave me a $10 credit at one point, then when I called them, are shipping me out another cord tonight. EB forever now has my business.)

Just had to rant, but thanks for all the help. Oh, the terrible wait till progessive scan Halo...

Paul Cole

Agent
I also just bought the HD pack. I have to wait till Christmas morning to hook it all...quick question though.

I have the audio from my DVD player connected via coaxial to my Onkyo 595. If I am using optical for the X-Box, I can swap between the two?

What I mean is, can I assign coaxial to one input source and optical to another?

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Paul said
What I mean is, can I assign coaxial to one input source and optical to another?
on my Sony 50ES I have my 7700DVD player connected via the coaxial digital DVD input on the receiver. I have the X-Box connected via the optical DVD input on the same receiver. I set the receiver digital input to AUTO and whatever signal is fed to the receiver, it will decode.

I don't want to know what happens if I accidently play the DVD and X-Box at the same time though. The receiver would probably freak out. I just make sure when one is playing, the other is off and it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks