What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here’s a dumb question -

I know I’m no longer a typical real world example of how people use these products, or at least, I don’t think I am.

Do people generally use Siri on a daily basis? As far as I know, the majority of my friends and family use iPhones rather than other brands, and I’ve ever once seen anyone use Siri (except for when there’s a new internet discovery of a funny hidden trick it’ll do). Is the average Apple customer actually using the voice interface over keyboard/mouse/touchscreen interfaces?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I use it for small things: setting timers and turning on the bedroom sound machine (plugged into an iDevices switch). I use it a little for a couple of shortcuts I have, but mostly I use the home-screen buttons for those. I'm not opposed to using Siri, but I'm an old ;) and haven't been able to adjust my habits towards talking to my device. (Plus, Siri has been poor in its syntax flexibility and limited in third-party abilities so the things I want to do, it has not been able to do well or at all.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That said, I hear on podcasts about how kids use Siri almost as a best friend: talking to her and dictating messages and asking her questions and so on. So...generational perhaps. We grew up typing. It's hard to change paradigms. But those who do not yet have decades of computer-interface paradigm may be learning that voice is normal for them.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Here’s a dumb question -

I know I’m no longer a typical real world example of how people use these products, or at least, I don’t think I am.

Do people generally use Siri on a daily basis? As far as I know, the majority of my friends and family use iPhones rather than other brands, and I’ve ever once seen anyone use Siri (except for when there’s a new internet discovery of a funny hidden trick it’ll do). Is the average Apple customer actually using the voice interface over keyboard/mouse/touchscreen interfaces?
I use Siri on a daily basis, telling our HomePods what to play, telling my iPhone who to call or dictating a text message to send. Ask for directions. I’ll even ask for the time, via my AirPods if I can’t see my watch due to what I’m carrying at the moment

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Soooooo....

Take this as the usual rumor mill...

It is being reported new Airpods go on sale this upcoming Tuesday and a new MBP should be as well.

Someone boasting on another forum this is accurate news. Could be an Apple Store leaker. Could be nothing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Looking forward to any news on rumored ANC AirPods ("AirPod Pro" as I've heard rumored).

Any rumors about iPad Pro refresh? Or is it looking pushed to Spring 2020?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking forward to any news on rumored ANC AirPods ("AirPod Pro" as I've heard rumored).

Any rumors about iPad Pro refresh? Or is it looking pushed to Spring 2020?

Just heard AirPods and MBP, but who knows, it could be more!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let today be the day!

tenor.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Also, tonight is Apple's quarterly earnings. It would not have been unusual for them to have press release drops before one (ala Airpods Pro), but it would have been VERY unusual for them to make a keynote announcement before one to happen after. So it's still possible to have an early November keynote, still possible to have more press release drops, and still possible nothing at all is coming until Spring.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From the inside of the fan base, and from reading many boards, people still are holding out hope that a new MBP will be announced in the next three days.

There's also AirTrackers that have yet to be announced. Possibly still, new iPad Pros.

Not giving up hope yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks