What's new

WWDC 2019 Live discussion - Was: Sooo umm Apple just released new MacBookPros (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Day's half over, still can't figure out which Ron is correct...
giphy.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A reminder that last year's event happened on the last tuesday of the month and that event was announced the Friday before, just 4 days earlier.

Yeah, see I told you so! :P

Maybe it will be announced on Friday.

The best I can say here is that rumors are rampant that the MBP is in production. Just a matter of how and when they are going to announce it within the next week.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
As we know, one thing that has been already announced for 2019, the MacPro and monitor, will be released unless Apple explicitly announces a postponement. So would they release the MacBookPro in 2019 separately from the MacPro?

In other words the announcement I am looking for is the MacPro release date.

I think it very likely that Apple will release products separately. Maybe if all three products get to "ready for volume shipment" within a week, Apple would hold up announcements and make them all at one time.

But if the rumored 16" rMBP lags a couple of months behind the Mac Pro, would you want Apple to slip the Mac Pro release date from a (hypothetical) November 1st to a (hypothetical) December 31st, just to synchronize with the rMBP?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It would be interesting, and telling of how little apple’s business model relies on laptop sales now, if they released a brand new iteration of a MacBook Pro without an event. Normal speed bumps I can understand skipping an event. But this is a whole new size, with a host of improvements like a better keyboard (theoretically, at least, hard to imagine it would be worse), a larger screen with smaller bezels, and I’m sure other things we aren’t aware of. I know they’ve released speed bumps in the past without an event, but this strikes me as more than that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We'll see. I have been wrong before. But this would be a BIG change. The 15" MBP is Apple's flagship portable, replacing it with a new form factor via press release would be seriously odd for Apple.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
We'll see. I have been wrong before. But this would be a BIG change. The 15" MBP is Apple's flagship portable, replacing it with a new form factor via press release would be seriously odd for Apple.
Actually, Apple's best selling laptop is the MacBook Air. A new form factor MBP isn't the world's most crucial news. I will bet it is still using an Intel CPU.
My guess: Apple will release an ARM (A13X Bionic or A14 Bionic) CPU MacBook Air next year, and for that, there absolutely will be an event and it will be a pretty big deal.

Why? The current iPhone A13 Bionic outperforms on single core the new ($5K + price) iMac Pro. The new MacBook Air will slaughter past MacBooks in performance, battery life and ability with new software that takes advantage of the Bionic aspects of Apple's ARM CPU. Making a big deal of its last Intel CPU MacBookPro won't make sense in retrospect.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, today, rumors are rampant that Apple is about to announce their new noise-canceling Airpods next week.

Tuesday is being cited as the possible day. I don't even want to place bets or hunches any more.

I would anticipate that the MBP will be rolled in with that announcement.

Looking less likely for an "event" and more for a press release on the refreshed products.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
NC Airpods could be of high interest to me. Definitely looking forward to any announcement. But I suspect battery life be no more than five hours, which isn’t long enough for my needs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love everything about the AirPod and the computational sound that Dave has eloquently described before. What is keeping me from buying is that there doesn’t seem to be a direct input on the thing. What if I don’t want to use Siri? I’m not down with asking objects to do things. I get the wide appeal but I feel like a crazy person doing it. Not to mention, I can’t imagine saying to Siri “play this specific version of this song out of the 50 different versions I have of it” and having it get it right.

If it had an Aux in line so I could plug a non-internet-connected device into it, and volume buttons so I didn’t have to talk to it, I’d be so on board. But I feel very strongly about not wanting a speaker setup that only work on voice command and only take inputs from other internet connected devices. It’s really too bad because from an audio standpoint I think it would be a perfect solution to a problem I currently have.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, my mistake, that’s what I was thinking of. I’d love a HomePod if I could get the computational audio benefits without the personal digital assistant interface requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks