What's new

Would you like to see John Williams conduct some of his movie music on television? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
This topic covers music, movies, and television. I hope I’ve posted it in the most appropriate place.

This might be a rerun but there are probably people (me included) who haven’t seen it. Check your local listings next Sunday August 15, 2004 at 4:00 p.m. for PBS's Evening At Pops program.

For those who aren’t aware, this program features ‘popular’ music performed by the Boston Pops orchestra. Selections range from stage and screen to classical favourites and often features guest performers. Arthur Fiedler conducted the orchestra for 50 years including the first decade of the program. John Williams took over in 1980, and Keith Lockhart is the current conductor. On occasion, John Williams returns to conduct Evening At Pops programs.
Note: the schedule might be slightly off considering this program was scheduled for yesterday according to PBS's Web site even though WNED's PBS affiliate actually broadcast a different program: the tribute to Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini conducted by John Williams. I'm basing the above date on the line-up from an online t.v. guide. If it's not on next Sunday, try the following Sunday (sorry, unless somebody else can be more accurate).

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I saw this program a year or two ago on PBS and I thought it was great. Any fan of film music should check it out.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Thanks for the heads up, Andrew. Checking PBS.org I see for people in L.A. it airs on Friday, August 13th at 9pm on KLCS channel 58. "The Days Between" from Stepmom is a very beautiful piece. I would definitely like to also catch Williams' tribute to Bernard Herrmann and Henry Mancini!

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Hi Gary (and other film music, John Williams fans),
PBS's WNED affiliate broadcasted the tribute to Bernard Hermann and Henry Mancini yesterday afternoon. If it hasn't yet been broadcast in your area sometime last week or this week, it will likely be rerun just as the program I'm looking forward to has already been broadcast back when the Winter Olympics were at Salt Lake City, Utah. I don't know if elsewhere has a similar schedule to that of WNED but the program featuring Kristin Chenoweth was broadcast the previous Sunday, August 1, 2004.

For a number of selections, John Williams conducted the Pops orchestra while scenes from the movie to which the music was specifically composed played on a projection screen above the orchestra; in some cases, the music accompanied fairly complete scenes (most notably Herrmann’s music for Psycho) and in others, the music accompanied (and appeared in sync with) a specially edited montage of scenes (Mancini’s Pink Panther and Peter Gunn themes for instance). The program skewed more toward Mancini’s music including previously recorded interviews conducted by John Williams with Blake Edwards and Julie Andrews.

Here’s another program schedule. According to this, WCNY Syracuse is scheduled to broadcast the show I’m looking forward to this Thursday at 8:00 p.m. I guess those in or near Syracuse should be able to see it then. Once again, if you don’t want to miss this, be sure to check your local listings (it might not be broadcast next Sunday where you are).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from the privilege of experiencing John Williams conduct the Boston Pops orchestra at Tanglewood. One thing I can check off my bucket list.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Regarding the topic of this thread: John Williams was the orchestra leader for the 2002 Academy Awards. There was a film music segment that was largely devoted to Williams' music. I recall thinking that that segment was cool. I would like to see them still do special segments like that on the Oscars. I don't know if that will happen again, though. Sincerely, John Kilduff... Of course, who would've thought that Trent Reznor would end up joining Williams' company?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks