What's new

Would this be a good sub for HT DIY?? (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Cone Area (Sd) : 467.59 sq. cm
D.C.Coil Resistance (Re) : 3.6 ohm
Electrical Q (Qes) : 0.47
Equivalent Suspension Stiffness (Vas) : 150.31liters(xxxxcu.ft.)
Free Air Resonance (Fs) : 19.64Hz
Frequency Response : 26Hz - 1kHz
Impedance (Nominal) : 4 ohm
Mechanical Q (Qms) : 10.71
Total Loudspeaker Q (Qts) : 0.45
These are some of the specs of the Alpine 15" Type R sub for car audio. I can get these at a really good price. The only thing it doesnt list is Xmax and I'm sure I could call the company and find out.
Then here is another sub, the MTX Thunder 8000 15" also a car sub.
Fs 24.6hz
Vas 145.5 L
Qts .37
Qes .40
Qms 5.69
Xmax 12.5mm
D 13.267
Spl 89.3
Im deciding between these two and the Tempest driver for a ported or sealed cube to go under my svs 20-39. Ideas??

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd certainly go with a Tempest, unless that 15" is really cheap. What do you mean by "go under" the SVS?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, need to read his other post. He has an SVS 20-39. He wants two subs, that one and this DIY self. He intends to put the 20-39 ontop of the DIY (like what Trevor Schell did with his 20-39s and Servo15s).
So he wants a front firing box I'd assume.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Right on the money. Yeah, when looking at the specs, the tempest does look like the better choice compared to those two subs. What I'm looking to do, is kinda like the thing trevor did when he stacked his 20-39 on top of the servo 15. Really, they dont have to be stacked, but I could put them right next to each other. Would the tempest be good for what I want to do? Cube is what I'm looking for, sealed or vented? What size would it need to be. I'm looking to drive it with the other channel of my Samson S700. So 350 RMS. Ideas??

Bob Ahlberg

Agent
Hi Scott...
I would really recommend the Tempest in a 4 cubic foot box tuned somewhere arount 18-22hz. The Alpine R and the MTX are fine drivers, they just are designed to go into small boxes (that's the name of the game in car audio) and then rely on the up to 20db of cabin gain in the low frequencies to to play flat to below 20hz.
Unless you can get these subs at well under $140 a peice, you are will save money and have a better HT with the Tempest.
bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks