What's new

Worst DVD covers! (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I think we get the point some of you people don't like the Matrix Revolutions cover. Move along!

Porfirio

Second Unit

You really can't tell in the picture that I posted, but if you look at the actual cover, David Faustino's picture just doesn't look natural. For some odd ball reason, they decided to use a colorized b&w picture of him!

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Now the entire Predator serise suffers from god awful cover art. I think Predator 1 takes the cake tho.

I'd like to hear the 'artists' intentions for this cover. Does he like water or something?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

Quick and easy way to get LEO on the cover...

More floating heads, even though the theatrical art was really good.

Horrible way to stick jamie lee on the cover. Worse than the previously released VHS/DVD releases...

LAME the original poster art was a million times better. At least you can see it sort of... the logo's there... right...? :frowning:

AT least the jurassic park art looks more real than these cartoon raptors...

Not bad at all, but I liked the originally banned theatrical poster more.

Apparently, this was deemed too disturbing by the MPAA... riiiiiiiiight.

BRING IT ON 2? (Oh wait, that's out there... BRING IT ON 3?) Clearly the better film of the two... it shouldn't be trying to associate with BIO...

The much better theatrical art, matches the tone of the movie more.

Eh...

Much better.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I can't stop snickering at the Delta Force cover. I can just imagine seeing it for the first time in a store, and the reaction it's supposed to pull out of the consumer.

"WOW check it out Lee Marvin and Chuck Norris BOTH with Bazooka's holy shit my dream come true!"

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Under the category of coverart that misrepresents the film, I give you the French release of What's Eating Gilbert Grape:

To fully capitlize on the popularity of Leo, they avoided using a mugshot of ugly "Arnie" and use a shot of him in This Boy's Life.

I'm sure there were a few disappointed 10 year girls in France.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
The cover of the upcoming Stay Hungry DVD seems to focus
more on Arnold Schwarzenegger than Jeff Bridges or Sally Field.

Stay Hungry

-Mike

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Amazing how either really awful Photoshop artists and/or committee design is allowed to ruin a DVD cover. You'd think producers and directors would make some noise about this crap. Sometimes it's like monkeys designing covers for monkeys who buy DVDs. "Hey look! (Favorite Actor)'s in this! Let's get it! Whoooooo-hoooooooo!!!!" Is there supposed to be some nobility in catering to the toothless, uneducated masses who shop at Wal-mart?

I just don't understand why on earth studios are permitting their product to go out with such TERRIBLE wrapping. They have NO reason to cry foul when sites like DVDCoverArt.com pop up, because if it wasn't for the studios' chintzy art staff hiring practices (scraping the bottom of the art school barrel, if they even recruit at art schools rather than hiring some homeless crackhead off the street), those sites wouldn't have much reason for existing!

I think we, as DVD fans, need to be more vocal, both when the studios ace the cover art (like Warner Bros. has been doing with its classic releases) and when they botch it up miserably.

You'd think some of these art departments would just leave it in the hands of fans like us, like make a contest out of it - present a choice of art designs online, then we vote on it, and the winner becomes the official artwork (and the studio can make alternative artwork available to download and print for those who prefer other versions). But NOOOOO, THAT would be INTELLIGENT! Can't have THAT, can we?!?

I mean, is Warner the only studio that GETS it?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Of course it does - Arnie's a huge star and might actually attract people to buy the DVD. Bridges and Field have nowhere near the same level of star power...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Most dissapointing covers - terrible - both from fox -
Demetrius and the Gladiators and the new Prince Valiant due in two weeks from Fox. Both films had great art in both dometic and foreing markets and there is much to chose from. Mediocre from Fox - Star!!, Hello Dolly, and Cleopatra.
How to do an oldie the right way - Warners does NOT use the original poster art for Helen of Tory (frankly it was just OK) - the new DVD uses an Italian reissue poster - Beautiful.

Real Name
Anthony
Am I going crazy or does anyone else think the artwork for the upcoming STAR WARS box set looks s**t ?

The characters on it remind me of those chocolate bars that used to have raised pictures on them - same kind of likenesses. Perhaps it'll look better in reality but I just think it's a really unexciting design.

Dennis

Second Unit
If they want to "attract" buyers, pick either that applies:

Fire everyone in the Art Department, regardless who actually made the cover, shame on all of them for letting it leave the room in that condition.

Hire an Art Department, we certainly don't need an executive's 5 year old nephew experimenting with Adobe Photoshop for us to make a purchase.

You want new cover art to attract new buyers? Fine, but these covers are awful, pure garbage. Unfortunately, some of us like the films so much we buy the movies because of the movie so there doesn't seem to be much incentive for them to change their practices.

I like my DVD covers like my LP covers, they're not only there to protect the media, they're nice to look at.

I am officially offering my services, at a reasonable price, to the main offenders. Heck, I'll do it for free till they show a profit. I couldn't do any worse. :D

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Forgive me if someone else has said this, but I think it simply has to do with size. Marketeers make the faces of the actors more prominent on DVD cases because the overall area they have to work with is much smaller than on a movie poster, yet they want to make sure that the actors remain recognizable at a reasonable distance.

To simply miniaturize some movie posters might make certain details so small that they'd escape the eye of the average Joe/Jane strolling the aisles at Wal-Mart. Clearly, those Joes and Janes are the intended audience for these aesthetically unimaginative, and often outright dreadful, DVD covers.

It's a well-worn truism in the magazine industry that people like to look at pictures of other people on magazine covers (unless they're avid readers of Aviation Week), and the same is true of movie ads, I'm afraid. As a mass consumer product, DVD covers are viewed as advertisements rather than an aesthetic representation of a film's content that should be pleasing in its own right.

--Jefferson Morris

Dennis

Second Unit

I guess that's why the posters you see in the movie theater are a little more subdued, imagine those DVD covers 10-20 times the size.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
This is the wickedest Matrix Revolutions cover I've seen and should've been used by WB over the crap they published!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks